I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by CitroJim »

Wonder if I could put a V6 in it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

It probably has a fairly hefty lump in it already Jim although only developing 15.9HP. The radiator certainly looks big enough. The car wasn't a museum piece though. Haven't yet tracked down the "Rally" that it was number 18 in, but there are some fair inclines on the road we saw it, although it was no match for the 2.0HDi Picasso!

Here's a few little asides which I have come across.

In 1913 Arrol-Johnston bought land at Heathhall, just outside Dumfries, and commissioned an American firm to build a factory. The result was the first such building in Britain to use concrete reinforced with metal in its construction, and was reputed to be a copy of the Ford Factory at Highland Park, Michigan, USA, where the Model T was produced. At its height the Heathhall site employed about 1,800 people, who turned out between 15 and 20 cars a week.

The Arrol of Arrol-Johnston ended up with a particularly impressive CV. William Arrol was a Civil Engineer and Bridge Builder, responsible for The Tay Bridge, The Forth Bridge, Tower Bridge, and many others. Here's one he did in Australia

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a lovely bridge Neil.

I'm a great bridge (and tunnel) enthusiast.... Post as many big bridge pictues as you want :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Familiar with this one? Another one constructed by Sir William Arrol and Co Ltd.......no its not the Castlemaine Bridge

Regards Neil

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

3.7% - must be screenwash grade beer.

The Hawkesbury bridge pictured above, I have crossed many times. It's on the main rail line heading north from Sydney. Nearest station is "Hawkesbury River" although it's in a town called Brooklyn. Good few tunnels on that line, and a decent stretch about 30' above the waterline with interesting views.
NewcastleFalcon

I don't believe it, a 10-pointer spotted in a supermarket car park!
From I-Spy Classic Cars
Volvo Estates like this were always popular with people such as antique dealers and others like farmers who needed to tow trailers. Not only is the square rear compartment spacious for cargo, but the 240 is extraordinarily sturdy, with plenty of safety features; these can seem to go on for ever.

yes...alright its not an estate but its very close.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

240, especially an early one would very much be on my wish list. Have owned several Saabs now, but have always fancied a Volvo so I can properly compare the two.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

This one in Yellow is for CitroJim :-D

On a rainy day after work "The People's Car" VW Beetlle just happned to be in front of me.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
NewcastleFalcon

Nice Rear Vert Vega :!: and 10 points in the bag . Four Air Vents in the lid.

The base for many a rat treatment including this oak clad example from Banja Luka

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

At least it won't rust but watch out for woodworm!!!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope it has been seasoned, otherwise it could warp in the rain!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I hope it has been seasoned, otherwise it could warp in the rain!
I think the perpetrator of that creation was rather warped to be honest :twisted:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Talking about Beetle's rear-ends there are few variations.

I reckon for some of the rarer/older models a few bonus points would be warranted, particularly an old split rear window, and perhaps for anything other than the "Elephant's Feet" rear light cluster.

Simoncars is an excellent site for its pictures of different model variations. It also has a nice section on "beetle-like" cars using similar rear ends. Here's a few examples

ImageImageImage

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Chrome bumper MGC GT in orange, spotted Friday morning.

This colour: http://barnfinds.com/oklahoma-field-of-dreams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NewcastleFalcon

Re:

addo wrote:Chrome bumper MGC GT in orange, spotted Friday morning.

This colour: http://barnfinds.com/oklahoma-field-of-dreams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The MGC GT is a more interesting spot than a MGB GT which scores 10 so its got to be 15 at least. I've just read the MG Owners club review of the MGC...here...bit of a cobbled together brute really and a short-lived production. I do like a nice subtle power bulge though, and although its on a roadster this pic shows it up nicely.

It was necessary however to modify the bonnet with the now characteristic bulge to accommodate the radiator and an extra small fairing to provide clearance for the front SU carburettor.
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey