I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by Stickyfinger »

bet the petrol emptied out quick...and.....LOLOLOLL :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:bet the petrol emptied out quick...and.....LOLOLOLL :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Almost as quickly as it does out of an Activa :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

and you will see how much faster out of a V6 one :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:and you will see how much faster out of a V6 one :)
No, actually the V6 *should* be more frugal... What sort of economy are you getting out of yours Alasdair?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

about 25mpg on a long run being Non-Stupid....seems to go quicker when I am silly :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's not good.. I could get 35mpg out of my automatic V6s when not being silly.. I could see 25mpg running round town...

But then my definition of silly is 70mph...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

70-80ish Jim honest :).....but its how fast you get there that costs :)

Coming out of a 2ltr Oiler and a Max.5k rev __6 for so many years I an enjoying the revs range to the full and learning the cars limits, I think that may depress it a bit.
Also my "Long Runs" have mainly been chosen so as to "enjoy them & learn" rather to cruse. I hate not having a cruse control so am keeping off Motorways amap

That said....I am calming down now and using the torque more as I am more confident in the grip at speed than I ever have been in a car and I can visually see it is creeping up a bit.
I cannot see myself getting much more that 30mpg max with how/what I use the car for.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

If you buy a 3.0 v6 for a fun car your not really caring if it does 25 or 30 mpg. The overall running costs will be how often or how little it breaks, and how much fixing it costs! I had the fiesta 1.4 diesel for cheapness to run, but it ended up being one of the most expensive I have ever owned, and that was at 60 mpg!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's true. for a fun car the economy does not matter. I'd not run an Activa otherwise...

I was just surprised at how different yours is compared to an auto...

I drive slowly these days - a veritable mobile chicane - my mental and cognitive abilities do not allow me to drive fast comfortably or confidently so I go at a speed I'm happy at...

For that reason these days I drive as little as possible. Speed along an average B road is 40, a good A may see me do 50 and a dual carriageway about 55 and occasionally 60... I go at the speed of a lorry on a dual carriageway and that's comfy and not exhausting...

70 absolute tops...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

With traffic theses days Jim.... we all do :)

I will report back on this later....I have done neither the mileage or the type of driving that would give any reliable result, the only really long runs have been to the CC national show and Hastings, both trips were massively stuffed with bad traffic and high temps, only on the way back from the CCC event (late night) were the roads clear and I took a very long way back across country to "test" the car (hampered by SH17 lights !....must sort them...must sort th..)

I would think with, as in your style, a greater concentration on cruse/smoothness then it could happily climb into the 30+ mark without to many problems on A's, M roads with tick-over revs/cruse control, I can see 35Mpg is obtainable..
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: I would think with, as in your style, a greater concentration on cruse/smoothness then it could happily climb into the 30+ mark without to many problems on A's, M roads with tick-over revs/cruse control, I can see 35Mpg is obtainable..
With that style Alasdair I can see near 40mpg out of a TCT Activa. Did a genuine 39mpg once in a TCT on a run from home to Dover and back. Everything was clear, including the M25 and Dartford, and I never exceeded 70 anywhere...

Not checked recently but knowing how the fuel gauge behaves in my current Activa I reckon I get that or close on my home - Somerset - home trip using the back roads...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Smooth, constant and with foresight....sexy as well mind :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Ah, the dream of mpg like that...

Xantia seems to average mid 30s generally, though MK isn't exactly economy friendly as you're on/off the throttle all the time. Had expected a bit more, though I'm also pretty certain that there's a brake dragging very slightly which won't be helping any - need to get the rear wheels off and check as it's probably got the usual issues with the caliper brackets.

Now, the Saab...that will *just about* manage to touch 30mph if you're driving at an absolutely steady 55mph on perfectly level ground with a tail wind. Realistic normal is about 25mpg - though courtesy of MK's road network...and the tendency for it to make me drive more enthusiastically...mean that around here it's not at all uncommon for it to drop into the teens! If it didn't handle so well and make such a nice noise I'm sure I'd get better fuel economy...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What sort of economy do you see out of the 107 Zel? I can see 65 from my C1 with the later engine...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jim's V6 Activa Blog ?>, really we should NOT be talking about fuel economy :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider