Wasted a lot of time getting rid of "CrossBrowser" today

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Wasted a lot of time getting rid of "CrossBrowser" today

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Was attempting to look at IMCDB ( internet movie car database) to check out "Duel" and up pops a message saying I need to update Adobe Flash Player, in very adobe flash player looking instructions. Suffice to say an inadvertent click involved having "CrossBrowser" invade my old laptop.

Probably now removed about 90% of it and other associated stuff, but may have to go back to a "factory restore" for peace of mind, cos looks like its wiped any of the restore points I would have expected to find.

One inadvertent click and loads of frustration and unnecessary wasted time. Good old Windows Defender found nothing of concern in its 2 hour scan, but there's nothing unusual about that.

Just in case others fall into the same trap.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Wasted a lot of time getting rid of "CrossBrowser" today

Post by CitroJim »

Yes I have :-D On Adobe REader when I inadvertantly clicked the first link when looking for one.

It caused havoc. That was on Win 8 and the last time I ever used it. Final nail really. Never been near the hateful OS since or any other Microsoft OS since.

Try Linux, it's pretty much immune from such rubbish :-D

I've never looked back since going Linux except it's a bit difficult to run a Lexia with it and to update my Nokia phone!!! I keep an XP machine just for those jobs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try Microsoft Security Essentials in preference to Windows Defender.

Even better Ubuntu or Linux Mint that can be installed alongside Windows for general use and internet browsing where Windows specific use isn't called for.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, that's a good solution to those like me who just need very occasional access to Windows... For my phone now I hhave to wait until I visit dad :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Download malwarebites onto a pen drive from another pc, boot yours into safemode + networking and install/run it.

Usually the worst programs hide themselve or hinder antivirus/malware scans to avoid detection, seeing as most run as a process.

Do that a few times with reboots inbetween incase it reinstalls on boot!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks for the tips. Laptop seems to be roughly back to "normal", now has windows security essentials installed, the scan did find a couple of items now cleared.

You are never sure when putting something like "how to rempve crossbrowser" in google that the list of results gives links, and procedures and products to download which may make things even worse. The same is true for malware/spyware removal tools how do you know which ones on a list are genuine and which are bogus.

Thanks for your recommendation for malwarebites chinkostu, stuff tried and tested by others can help sift the genuine helpful products, from the potentially dangerous damaging products where the "cure" offered actually makes things worse.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Bleeping Computer has a lot of decent advice on which anti-malware stuff is worth the trouble of installing and how to use it.

Sorry to be so late with it, I very rarely get involved with Windows stuff these days and forget most of what I knew.