Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bikeboyz
My Cars:

Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation

Post by bikeboyz »

Well thats a mouthfull to get put across the back of a Rover, but I wonder how this little arrangement is going to work? SAIC already manufacturers the :
VW Santana (the mk1 Passat!),
VW Santana 3000 (looks Passat),
VW Passat (ok....),
VW Polo (hatch and saloon),
VW Gol (Golf)
Buick GL8 (mother of a V6 people carrier)
GM Sail (almost astra?)
GM Sail SRV (almost astra estate)
GM Regal
GM Excelle
GM Spark (Daewoo Maltiz)
GM 6360 (bedford midi style)
GM Wuling Sunshine (and another midi type)
GM City Wind (and another...)
GM PSN (bit like a Rascal pickup with one or double cab)
Sabre (its the MK1 Vauxhall Corsa cube van, like the gas board had!)
Sunwin (Volvo busses)
Xinfu motorcycles 250cc or less
and a few tractors too (looks like old FiatAgri)
So with a lot of old tat and a few VWs what will Longbridge make? Will there be another Perkins powered diesel car, and lets hope City Rover is cancelled and returned to Tata!
thoughts anybody?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im sure thay already manufacture a strange Montego / Maestro hybrid with a eastern diesel engine.
Anythings got to be better than the CityRover. Its hideous. Who is it that manufatures that odd looking ZX car? (The Chinese version not the French i mean)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Come on guys. I wouldn't touch a Rover car ever again but the City Rover is a good little car only bought down by having Rover written on it and that mega high price tag. Should be in the sub £5,575 bracket not the plus £7,000 braket. Just had a look at the Rover price range and the City starts at £6,495 up to the top spec for £8,895. Its just too much for a car that's got no electric windows or a CD player in the basic form. As for the SAIC they look to be falling over them selves for a new model range. Most Rovers are only 15 years old now and the SAIC range seem to be verging on plus 20 years.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Exactly. THe Cityrover is an antique with an awful interior, a soon to be non-existent dealer network and the resale value of yesterday's daily Mirror. It is irrelevant against the Panda, Ka and Yaris. Even if the price is heavily discounted, it deserves to fail and go down like the Titanic but with fewer survivors. The "entrepreneurs" spelt C-R-O-O-K-S who bought the company from the idiots that sold it to them with £750 millon unsold stock going rusty in fields (Astute people at BMW) have run it into the (Directors')Pension fund and there is no chance of recovery. The world has moved on. My sister who bought three cars last month looked hard at what was on offer. She could get 50% discounts on a fleet of three Rover 75s but as she explained to the dealer "Now that I've seen it and driven it, I know why nobody would be seen dead in one. My company's image would be crucified." Two of the directors got A3s. Sis bought a 407.
What does Rover have to offer Shanghai? FXXX ALL but it may keep Rover's share price up long enough for the directors to get rid of them.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Bring back the most comfortable car ever- the Princess!!!!!
Thats what I say, anyway........
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

The first thing I heard in the news was the voice of the unions, oh dear here comes British Leyland all over again..... I'm sure the Longbridge site would make a lovely Asda.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ahhh - the Austin Wedge.
Lovely to sit in, awful to weild round corners.
Not as much fun as a Landcrab though.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Funnily enough, someone has abandoned a Princess this weekend outside a scrap yard a couple of miles from me. I haven't seen one on the road for *years*.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

The first thing I heard in the news was the voice of the unions, oh dear here comes British Leyland all over again..... I'm sure the Longbridge site would make a lovely Asda.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Apparently it's been sold to Ikea....saves getting up to the top of the M5, I suppose!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah the old Princess, those seats were huge weren't they and mighty snuggly when a kid in the 70's [:D] One of my dads mates had a Wolsey (spelling) badged Princess and then changed it for a Vanden Plas model, OOOOOO now that's posh [:D] As for Ikea and or ASDA at Rover are you joking??? the traffic is murder around there at any time of the day. [:o)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thought I'd drag this one back as it is current. Looks as though they have run out of money. I hope that the directors are being arraigned for Fraud. They did nothing to Rover but asset strip it in my view and now they want to get 100 million quid of our money to sweeten the Chinese and save 6,000 votes, sorry jobs. That is £16,000 per vote.
This being a French car Forum, we can see that the French still have a motor industry because they buy French cars. We didn't buy British ones because they were not what we wanted. The fatal blow was struck by Lord Stokes, (take a bow,) who ruined the company with the wrong cars in 1971 having axed the ones that people were queueing up to buy; the Minor and the Cooper S. That it has taken a further 34 years to die with the indignity of the Trondas, Rhondas and Tatas is a testimony to the hard working people lower down the firm. The current position is, however a national scandal.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hear, hear!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Oh and for lovers of Wedgies and all other BL products (including lovely Rovers that might be for sale hint, hint) see http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/
It's a very good website. The history of the development of the some of the cars is horrific. Hear how the Allegro actually started out not looking too bad. How the Tories restricted development of some fantastic 80s designs (albeit having inherited a seriously screwed company from Labour). This is very off forum isn't it?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

tomsheppard
The French still have a car industry because
they modernised
produced models that were saleable and cheap
and sold them!
Nissan were rescued by Renault and turned from loss making to profts.
Says it all about the management and continuity of thought processes.
AR was owned by
HMG
BAE
BMW
and the last lot
in under 20 years.
An awful lot of owners..
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bikeboyz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently it's been sold to Ikea....saves getting up to the top of the M5, I suppose!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
there is a god! i can finaly get on with some project work for a few months with an ikea less than 10 miles away i will never see my mum or wife again! (they live at the one on the M6 as it is!)
WOOO HOOO!