The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The WINDOWS 10 thread.......What !

Post by CitroJim »

Moved to French Car Chat as it is not a Citroen topic!!!

I'm sticking to my favoured Linux.. Windows 10 (and Windows in general) can go and do one as far as I'm concerned :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I generally share your sentiments Jim, but Louise needs a windows machine for her work, and it seemed like a good idea to get a new one while tax-deductable. Her old machine will shortly have Lubuntu installed and take over as mail/file server here (and can move to NZ with us).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: Her old machine will shortly have Lubuntu installed and take over as mail/file server here (and can move to NZ with us).
That's the spirit Mike :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

......At the moment, I am quite happily sitting at an old desktop with a nice big clear screen and a typewriterey old-fashioned keyboard, running Windows Vista..................and unlike Windows 10.........it can actually communicate with my router via wi-fi!
Windows 10 message of the day.......

Unable to connect to proxy server
Strange that because Spotify still plays all the tunes available "on-line".

I have no desire to achieve any sort of expertese in sorting out what must be one of the most basic functions you would expect from your laptop-making a connection with a perfectly sound wi-fi arrangement from your laptop a mere 10 feet away from the router. The finest brains at Microsoft could surely have worked out that is what most users want.

.....and managing to read some of the "suggested solutions" and the building frustration of users continuing to have the problem without solution, just adds to your own feelings of frustration, and the time wasted trying to fix it. Made more difficult of course-seeing as the problem is no internet link from your laptop whichever browser you choose, with the "solution" lying somewhere out there in Internetland.

To cut a long story short, the problem was apparently solved, by updating with a new Windows 10 update (how we got that with the "unable to connect to proxy server" scenario I don't actually know), but to say I don't trust Windows 10 as far as I could throw it is an understatement......hence tapping away at the old Vista desktop :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 14 Aug 2016, 22:37, edited 5 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

And every Win 10 update they sneak something off your taskbar. Last time it was my Internet explorer icon, because they want you to use "Edge" as the default browser. I just search for the icon and replace it. I don't really have a preference on browsers, but I hate being coerced into someone else's choice. To be honest, they are all the same. Google try to get you to use Gmail on android smart phones, but I hate it, so just download "Yahoo" which I find much more user friendly.
Ah the joys of the digital age.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

......and it seems whenever you use any search engine, before you get the results which you may have been inteested in, the page is filled with ads you have to page down through. With due respect to Luton Airport, I am totally disinterested in any service they offer at the moment, but for some reason 5 or 6 ads regularly appear on the most unrelated search terms I put in. Also Youtube puts up boxes with ads in in the way of what you want to watch and the only way to get rid of them is to click on them and then close them. Added to that Youtube rather than offering a skip ad button increasingly has content which forces you to play through the entire ad before you get to see what you want. Another irritating internet thing, by continuing to use a site you agree to their cookies, not just on the odd site but every site! No I don't agree to any site's stupid cookies, but to use the good old internet you have to! Before long your internet searches, are just going to come up with streams of irrelevant ads, and the interesting content on page 65 of the list if it appears at all.

No wonder people feel the need to go on digital detox's and digital sundowns!!!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try adding the Adblock Plus extension to either Firefox or Chrome.

I never see any adverts but The Independent and The Grouniad show a box asking me to cease and desist with Adblock but one click and that is gone and only returns after clearing history and cookies (with Bleachbit).

Haven't seen an advert in YouTube in years although I think that might depend on how much you use it - in my case constantly
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, AdBlock is standard install for me
as is
FB.Purity on Facebook
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't know what you're all moaning about, I've used Microsoft since my first computer back in around 1986, (an Amstrad 1512 used for the business bookkeeping) and I've gone through all the updates since then 95, 98, XP, Vista, Millennium, 7 10 and just had the anniversary10 update, they've all worked for me.

I'm a user not a geek so Linux in all its varieties is useless for me.

So this morning I've been to the bank, paid the milkman, had a look at the share prices on the stock exchange, popped into the electronics shop for a part to a HUDL2 checked out the news and I haven't been up for an hour yet.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A very energetic man :wink: I use the computer a lot but only for basic things, email, ebay, banking and such, but every time we have a new system they change everything and you have to go looking for it, then in my case I forget where I found it :? I had no end of problems with W10, things not working properly or at all, but I must admit since that last major update it much better - not perfect though. I dare say they will perfect it eventually but then they will bring out another new one and it starts all over again. :?

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I don't know what you're all moaning about, I've used Microsoft since my first computer back in around 1986, (an Amstrad 1512 used for the business bookkeeping) and I've gone through all the updates since then 95, 98, XP, Vista, Millennium, 7 10 and just had the anniversary10 update, they've all worked for me.

So this morning I've been to the bank, paid the milkman, had a look at the share prices on the stock exchange, popped into the electronics shop for a part to a HUDL2 checked out the news and I haven't been up for an hour yet.
What, no 2000 or Win 8?
:rofl2:
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Adblock is OK, but somebody has to pay for the "free" sites. Eventually the advertising will be pointless and the "free" sites will become less free.
Rick.

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

qprdude wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:I don't know what you're all moaning about, I've used Microsoft since my first computer back in around 1986, (an Amstrad 1512 used for the business bookkeeping) and I've gone through all the updates since then 95, 98, XP, Vista, Millennium, 7 10 and just had the anniversary10 update, they've all worked for me.

What, no 2000 or Win 8?

:rofl2:
No I missed those, went from 7 to 10.

Incidentally I bought Win 7 Ultimate off Ebay and it was counterfeit, Microsoft asked for the sellers details and in return supplied me with a genuine disk free gratis.

The seller was a bedroom trader buying from China and re-selling.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: I'm a user not a geek so Linux in all its varieties is useless for me.
No need to be a geek to reap all the benefits of Linux at all these days... Try a look at Ubuntu 16.04 and you'll see a product so far superior to Windows 10 it is almost unbelievable it is free...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't consider myself a geek, just a bumbler but in all honesty find Linux so much easier, simpler and more user friendly than any Microsoft product.
CitroJim wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote: I'm a user not a geek so Linux in all its varieties is useless for me.
No need to be a geek to reap all the benefits of Linux at all these days... Try a look at Ubuntu 16.04 and you'll see a product so far superior to Windows 10 it is almost unbelievable it is free...
Fully agree Jim - same goes for Linux Mint - I use both and both are equally easy to use while I dread having anything to do with my son's or daughter's Windows 10 laptops.