A collection of interesting/awful campers & motorhomes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: A collection of interesting/awful campers & motorhomes

Post by bobins »

I'm getting nervous with all these pictures of motorhomes.... my C5 got hit on a mountain pass in the French Alps last week by a myopic geriatric German driving a rented motorhome :shock: Very little damage to my car - I was pulled over to the side of the road and stationary at the time, but grief I could well do without as the insurance claim takes that bit longer :(

On the plus side - I did see a fleet of 6 promotional 2CVs, including at least 1 stretched one :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: my C5 got hit on a mountain pass in the French Alps last week
Not good :(

Did you see anything of the Tour de France in the Alps?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:Did you see anything of the Tour de France in the Alps?
I was there for one of the stages - hence seeing the Cochonou 2CVs being mercilessly screamed up the hills, and hence getting hit by one of the countless hundreds of swarming motorhomes, they were everywhere, a couple of them were even being driven courteously ! :shock: :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Did you see anything of the Tour de France in the Alps?
I was there for one of the stages
I'm jealous.. Having watched it all on TV, I'd have loved to have been there....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:I'm jealous.. Having watched it all on TV, I'd have loved to have been there....
It's a long day - mildly stressful getting into position in the morning around 8.30, then a very relaxing but enjoyable many hours sat at the side of the road watching the world go by - cyclists, Gendarmerie motorbiking down the hill, team coaches, the Caravan, more cyclists, Gendarmerie motorbiking back up the hill, team coaches going the other way, Gendarmerie motorbiking back down the hill, more cyclists, officials vehicles, Gendarmerie motorbiking back up the hill, cyclists, then quiet, then the leaders go by, then the peloton goes by, then it's time to go, and then you get held up by the Gendarmerie at the bottom of the hill for an hour or so. #-o
I'm not a huge fan of cycling (my wife and father-in-law are though), I go to view the mountain stages because it's stunning scenery and I enjoy the enforced idleness of sitting at the side of the road with a small glass of wine and a bit of smelly cheese on a baguette :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

You probably missed this guy, Dave Sims who is doing the Tour-de France route on his chopper :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:You probably missed this guy, Dave Sims who is doing the Tour-de France route on his chopper :-D
Nope ! We actually saw him :-D Difficult to miss one of them over there :) We also had a brief chat with a Yorkshireman doing one of the stages whilst wearing a sheeps outfit........ trying to tell us that Welsh sheep actually came from Yorkshire. I think it must have been the heat :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Much Respect to Dave doing it on a Chopper... I've just read a fantastic book called 'French Revolutions', the story of Tim Moore's epic ride around the 2000 Tour route... It was not an easy feat at all and he did it on a more appropriate bike and struggled. His story is absolutely hilarious.

I found the book in a great second-hand bookshop in Hastings whilst attending Malcolm's funeral.

I'd love to know how Dave faired riding a Chopper up (and down!) some of the HC cols and in fact any of the more testing cols at all. Not a bike best suited to win King of the Mountains... Did he make it up the Alpe D'Huez?

I'd love to see a Chopper go up Mont Ventoux!

Bobins, you're right about the scenery, absolutely stunning... I'd so love to go there and do a bit of the Tour route on my bike. Tim's book mentioned above has rather inspired me...
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Anyone got a picture of that amazing P5B Rover that appeared at the NEC a few years ago?

- or the H-van with 2CV van grafted onto the roof - think it's Swedish, rocks up at all the major international events.

Each , in their own way, truly weird.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:I'd love to know how Dave faired riding a Chopper up (and down!) some of the HC cols and in fact any of the more testing cols at all. Not a bike best suited to win King of the Mountains... Did he make it up the Alpe D'Huez?

I'd love to see a Chopper go up Mont Ventoux!

Bobins, you're right about the scenery, absolutely stunning... I'd so love to go there and do a bit of the Tour route on my bike. Tim's book mentioned above has rather inspired me...
We passed him going up the Col du Glandon as we were going down. Mad bu99er !

It cost the three of us about £270 each for a week out there excluding food, including hotel, eurotunnel, peage, fuel. So not madly expensive in my opinion, and a great way to spend a week stretching the C5's legs up and down the mountain passes :)
NewcastleFalcon

van ordinaire wrote:Anyone got a picture of that amazing P5B Rover that appeared at the NEC a few years ago?
This should be pretty close if not the exact one

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: I've just read a fantastic book called 'French Revolutions', the story of Tim Moore's epic ride around the 2000 Tour route... It was not an easy feat at all and he did it on a more appropriate bike and struggled. His story is absolutely hilarious.

I found the book in a great second-hand bookshop in Hastings whilst attending Malcolm's funeral.

Tim's book mentioned above has rather inspired me...
Jim thats just the type of random link I like, a chance find. Friend of mine picked up a book about someone cycling around the entire Scottish coast, was inspired and did his own tour. He crashed into a cow near Bettyhill in the far north of Scotland, broke his collar bone and had to abandon the event. Twelve months on to the day of the crash, he resumed and completed his round Scotland tour.

I will be pointing him in the direction of "French Revolutions" following your post.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love that P5B :-D What a fantastic motorhome... Just the job to follow the Tour de France in some style!
bobins wrote: We passed him going up the Col du Glandon as we were going down. Mad bu99er !

The Col du Glandon is gorgeous and described as fairly straightforward at an average climb of 6.9% but still a feat on a Chopper. Dave must be seriously fit!

I so want to do a bit of the Alps... It's on my to-do list... £270 for that lot is a bragain :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: I will be pointing him in the direction of "French Revolutions" following your post.
Great stuff Neil :-D

I think he'll enjoy it massively. It had me howling, especially his descriptions of discomforts of a rather personal nature he suffered... I will never look the same at a tube of Savlon ever again... :twisted:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here's an Amazon Link to 'French Revolutions' Neil...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim will pass it on. DEscriptions of the Col du Glandon don't do it justice so how about a picture, and imagine the 3 hours in bottom gear it would take to get a chopper up there

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey