Tinted windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Tinted windows

Post by wurlycorner »

No intention to cause offence to anyone, but picking up on some other general opinions posted earlier about heavily tinted windows, my opinion, FWIW... :blah1: :argue:
I don't understand why everyone these days seems to think they're so important/interesting to everyone else that they need to hide themselves away through 'privacy' glass :roll: Presumably after fitting, they now qualify as being a 'vip' that everyone is so intent on being these days... :dozy:

(p.s. that's not from some old fuddy-duddy - 30's and into car tuning :P )

Actually... One of my preludes came with blacked out rear windows. It's a white car and the contrast looks great. However, I hate it - visibility is absolutely s**t! Only reason they're still on there (for now) is my lack of courage about being able to remove without trashing the heated rear screen 8-[
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

In my case, I'd fit something extra to the back windows to prevent more sun coming in ... if there exists a material that is transparent, but prevents heat, I'd install it without much thinking ... the only method so far is by adding darker vinyls (or by using blinds) ... in no way do I want to pursuit the VIP look ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Sons got a Porsche Cayenne with blacked out rear side windows. It looks OK on that, but not for me personally. I'll stick with my blinds for keeping the sun out.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

As mentioned, it wasn't said with the intention of offending anyone. I agree with the blinds too - standard fit to the back parcel shelf on CX saloons (at least on the higher spec ones anyway, not sure if all specs) :D

You can get window film that is designed to be heat reflective, without being 'tinted'. It's common in use on buildings, not sure how easy it is to get on cars (I presume car window film may be slightly thinner???)
--
Iain

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Mine are rear window and both side rears. Manual unfortunately, I do miss my electric ones from my Rover 75 days.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My son's 107 has tinted side rear and tailgate, standard on his sportium. It looks ok as his car is black, they are not too dark a tint. It does make the car a bit darker, almost like being in a small van! Black is about the only colour that suits tints. I'm not doing the megane though!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

With 134A gas in the AC, a car like the Xantia estate with a large expanse of charcoal coloured dash, struggles to stay cool on our hot days. It really is simpler to stop the heat getting inside with a dark tint.

I also like some sort of film as protection against "smash and grab" theft.
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Heat in Australia is a damn site more extreme than here - cutting down Sun rays is indeed a very functional requirement over there! :D
--
Iain

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

wurlycorner wrote:Heat in Australia is a damn site more extreme than here - cutting down Sun rays is indeed a very functional requirement over there! :D
Obviously you weren't in Croatia during summer ... :D ... not like Australia, but just a few days a go the morning temperature was 28 C, with daily maximums being 38 C ... and this can last for days ...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I want to fit windows in the back of the C15 (like every other market's ones) but what I'd really like is ambulance glass which, as you know is like a tinted mirror from the outside but, from inside it's just a dreamy pale blue tint (or it was back when we had on old one as a tour bus) weird - but ideal, imhi.

Getting back to film, doubt that many of the professional jobs are up to much - they mainly seem to be done by outfits whose expertise is, security, ICE, wheel refurb, etc - never mind a d-i-y job. If anyone's done it it successfully, let's hear from you.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o