Easiest way to replace xantia front wishbone bush?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Easiest way to replace xantia front wishbone bush?

Post by John Plum »

Hi folk, I'm looking for assurance of the easiest way to replace the rubber bush, front xantia wishbone? I imagine it's not necessary to separate all or even any ball joints, but am not sure.

Thanks for any advice,
John
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Leading or trailing bush?

The rubber eye bush is a right mongrel, the "P" bush isn't so bad.

Either will need the arm removing first. I urge you to unclip the "dogbone" before removing wishbones, it will save a lot of grief later.
John Plum
My Cars:

Re: Easiest way to replace xantia front wishbone bush?

Post by John Plum »

Its the fat round one at the rear of the arm, with the housing nuts that also secure the antiroll bar (P bush). I'm replacing it with integral new housing too - the old housing sheared!
Unclipping the dogbone will make it easier to re-position all with antiroll bar I guess: good tip, thanks.
Last edited by John Plum on 28 Jul 2015, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

bonded bush fit

Post by John Plum »

am I right - the positioning of wishbone stub in the bush affects the height corrector via wishbone?
----EDIT: I think not - but critical for least tension on bush when riding.

I find bush sleeve to be a tight interference fit, but no alignment marks, so i fear undue twisting of the rubber bush unless its in right position. Bush sleeve goes onto wishbone stub like an interference fit; had to drift the old one off, after grinding down … although i see two lube grooves cut into wishbone stub
Last edited by John Plum on 28 Jul 2015, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

ok, i understand now. :) hard to tell were the old bush's were aligned being fully ripped away from there center's, but found your post [Addo] with advice, that 'ear' with the two holes should be parallel to the wishbone arm when in correct alignment.
Also, I easily found , in Haynes, info that bottom of the arm should be 8mm lower than the bottom of the subframe before tightening the clamp .
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

I "ve done the job. left height corrector and its dog bone untouched observed wishbone to be about 8mm below subframe at the lower ball joint upon reassembly with wheel off ground and no tension on p bush. that was lucky. Left anti-roll bar clamp nut on p bush bracket loose until wheel was back on ground, set to normal ride height, system pressurised and running.
This gave me correct height, with required 8mm below frame, and arches four fingers above wheel as per prior to disassembly.
This method had required only p bush to align, and Addo's rule worked, though as wishbone is not a flat object is not neccessarily highly accurate; i used about mid point of its deflection as my alignment mark.
John Plum