Tinted windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Tinted windows

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi, I am thinking of applying window tint film to my 2011 Saloon and have a few questions that I hope someone may be able to answer. I am thinking of only 50% on the back end so the contrast between front & back is not too great, any thoughts or experiences, as I have black part leather I feel the lighter tint will also keep the car relatively light inside as I have black part leather.
1, The UK legal limit for front glass tint is 70%, what is the standard tint of the Exclusive glass, is it 5% so therefore I can only fit tinting film of 75% only?
2, How easy is it to do or would it be better to get it done professionally.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: Tinted windows

Post by Xantippa »

One option is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-4d ... 4866d2ef51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like them, and they're easy to remove too. Also handy to let baby sleep in the car with windows open without risk of insects and flies going inside.

There's also precut window tints available if you like to do DIY tinting.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Personally I wouldn't. I have a Tourer with the darker rear windows. Looks great from outside, but a combination of puny reversing lights and fairly small dark glass in the back makes it a nuisance maneuvering at night or in dark car parks. Depends on where you live (I'm rural, few street lights) and how much of that sort of thing you do I guess.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I'm also stuck in making a decision, whether to go for the window blinds kit, like Xantippa posted (Citroen has that as genuine aftermarket equipment as well, of course, there are a lot of other manufacturers that make the same item), or to up the current genuine window tinting with another layer to make it even more darker (or at least, to reduce the sunlight coming in the back) ... the quality price tinting would be approx twice of the window blinds kit ... I'm talking 3M grade tinting vinyl, not some no-name ripoffs that will start ripping off after 2-3 years ...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 30% tint you are allowed on the front windows is pretty much nothing & I believe most modern factory front tint level is more in the region of 20-25% so adding pretty much any tint film will probably make it illegal. You don't realise the factory tint is even there until you have the window half down on a sunny with the door open & you can see the shadow of the glass. The same light transmission rules also apply to motorcycle helmet visors, I remember buying a maximum legal tinted visor a few years ago & realising after I bought it I shouldn't have bothered, was a waste of time.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Who actually tests it to generate a number, per window - is it part of the MOT?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It's currently not part of the MOT just now but VOSA & the police can stop you & measure the light transmission levels through the glass, you can be fined & if it is excessively dark you can get a prohibition notice on the car.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I did once see (on one of the police TV programs) a police officer test a car that they believed had illegal tinting, and the front door windows were well over 50%. The driver was told to get it sorted, and was given a deadline.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Interesting. Mine on the Xantia and 605 are almost black. :twisted:

We're more pressured on the front door windows, and a film-tinted front screen is illegal (not that I've ever heard of one being prosecuted).
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I wonder. Does adding tint count as a modification for your insurance?

And on the illegal front window tinting, you might not get stopped or prosecuted but I bet if you had an accident and the loss adjuster thought it might be a contributory factor, your insurer would resist any claims. Its one of those situations where the chance of any negative outcome is low, but the scale and impact of any such outcome is substantial.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd counter the actual number of times when "unauthorised modifications" (for want of a better term) have actually resulted in variations to a claims process is extremely small.

Personally I have not heard of one, the closest is an acquaintance here who was advised by his assessor (in an at-fault claim) to quickly replace a set of unoriginal wheels/tyres with original in case the other party tried "wedging" the claim with further allegations.

Watching a bunch of "dash cam" videos lately taken in my own country, it seems one contributor to accidents is mismatched rear tyres, whether by wear or pressure I don't know - but modern cars shouldn't lose the back end so promptly if everything is per design specs. Yet I've never heard of an assessor checking tyre pressures!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Richard_C wrote:I wonder. Does adding tint count as a modification for your insurance?
Yes it does.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Girl where I used to live had a VW Golf with side windows totally blacked out, like the rear of a Limo. I often wondered how she managed to get a MOT pass.
Sure enough, a few months later an Autoglass guy turned up at her door and changed the windows/film, don't know which.
Personally, I don't like the look of excessive tinting, unless you want to look like a South London drug dealer.
It just wouldn't suit a C5 (IMHO)
I'm happy with my factory tints and side/rear blinds.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I was never a fan of dark/tinted windows but since my wife got her freelander 2 with factory tinted rear windows I quite prefer it myself. The Citroen C8 I've just got has a dark tint to all rear windows and also factory pull up side sunblinds on all rear side window and you've all on spying inside from outside. I think dark vehicle colours suits darker windows too, the freelander is black and the C8 a dark grey colour.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi guys,
I have read the above and noted what wheeler said that possibly the windows are already about 20-25%. I will concentrate on just the backs for now which will be no darker than 50%, as I do not like the look of the limo black. I now have another problem, if the windows are 20-25% do I fit a 25% film to make it 50% or a 50% film to make it 50%? :-? I will see what the person fitting the tint says about the fronts as you would expect them to have a light meter wouldn't you.

As I note, I had a C4 (B7) up until 3 months ago with blacked out (factory tint) rear side and rear windows and will be changing the C5 to match as I liked the fact that people had to make a decision to look to back seat and in my opinion looked good.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi