Annoying front suspension squeak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Annoying front suspension squeak

Post by Chlorate »

Hello all,

Has been a long time since I've been round these parts, I hadn't forgotten - I've just been fiddling with a little Ginetta lately :twisted:

Anyway, my faithful Xantia has developed a squeak from the front suspension. It's a very rubbery kind of squeak and seems to pick up every lump and bump in the road, but goes away in the corners (and it's an intermittent squeak too - sometimes it takes a bit of driving to turn up).
I haven't had a look under there yet but I've bounced the front end around to try and find anything untoward but no sign of it.

My main suspicion at the moment is the ARB bushes - it would make sense that if they're worn it'd make a squeak as the ARB turns through the bush, but go quiet when the ARB is loaded in the corners.

However until I get under there I won't know for sure. Has anyone else had this sort of problem and could poke me in the right direction?

Most of the other bushes and balljoints have been replaced anyway - not much more that it could be...

Alex

P.S. I am so sorry to hear about Malcolm's passing. I never met the man in person but I always considered him to be a brilliant bloke, he'll be sorely missed :cry:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Re: Annoying front suspension squeak

Post by bigblackfalco »

I've had a similar annoying squeak on my C5, which I put down to a dry joint.
I removed the front wheel and squirted every bush with GT85 lubricant. Problem solved.
If you wanted a heavier duty/more permanent fix, you could use red rubber grease or similar.
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+