C8 Diesel Additive Minimum Level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

south74

C8 Diesel Additive Minimum Level

Post by south74 »

The "Diesel Additive Minimum Level" warning has just come on in my 2004 C8 2.2HDi.
Does anyone know how long/far the additive will last for from this point?
I am going abroad in 2 days and can't fill up the tank beforehand.
The car has done 133k miles and I last filled the additive tank (and reset the ecu) at about 78k miles... I'm thinking that there should be load left in the tank having only covered 55-60k miles since the last fill up.
Would the 'minimum level' last for another 2000 miles?

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance. :?
Last edited by south74 on 02 Jul 2015, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Currently... Xantia MkII 3.0 V6, C8 2.2Hdi Excl, SM 2.7 ...and waiting for some TLC a DS23 Pallas efi. Times gone by... Xantia Mk1 2.1TD, ZX 2.0 16v, BX 16v, BX 19D.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C8 Diesel Additive Minimum Level

Post by RichardW »

2k miles? Unlikley I'd have thought. It may stop regenning the filter if it thinks the level is low, which will cause problems long before you get to 2k miles. Going to need to sort it I think.... :?
Richard W
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I think the dosing pump keeps going even when the low level is flagged. Make sure you're parked on a slope, pump downwards, when filling the tank :evil:
Edit: have a look in the Eolys tank - the low level is calculated rather than measured, and there may be a bit left yet. Even better, add a litre fluid - it's a quick and easy job.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

No real answer to this only way is to have a look and try to dip the tank. The warning I believe calculates how many top ups of fuel etc. And not an accurate level.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
south74

Post by south74 »

You are correct - it seems the ecu does 'calculate' the level rather than measure it.

I got hold of the 3l kit from Citroen yesterday and filled up the tank... with 1l... yes, 1l... and it was full. Clearly, the minimum level warning is incorrect.

Then on to the Lexia to reset the counter... but, in true Citroen style, the Lexia cannot connect to the additive ECU under the 'Personalised maintenance' option. I can run the diagnostic and the lexia talks to the additive ecu - but afaik, I can only rest the counter under the 'personalised maintenance' menu. Correct?

It's annoying because a while back I upgraded the Diagbox version... and the old version could talk to the ecu easily. :(
Currently... Xantia MkII 3.0 V6, C8 2.2Hdi Excl, SM 2.7 ...and waiting for some TLC a DS23 Pallas efi. Times gone by... Xantia Mk1 2.1TD, ZX 2.0 16v, BX 16v, BX 19D.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I used a launch x491 or something like that to reset my counter. Good luck .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Be aware that the 'grammes' value to input isn't the same as ml of fluid. I assume that it relates to grammes of cerium compound equivalent. I had table somewhere, but can't find it at present (will need to do so soon, as I topped up my tank, and still need to reset the counters).
Can you get Peugeot Planet to talk to the ECU (select the equivalent Pug model, and it's usually quite happy with most functions)?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

These cars can be very tricky to reset, if I remember correctly you have to go into the new parts section, before running the diagnostic check, and it is split off in a submenu somewhere.
Best not to use Diagbox on these old cars, it's doesn't usually work as well.
Surely you have the choice wether to use Diagbox or Lexia ?
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
south74

Post by south74 »

Soooo.... an update.

Am back from 2500 miles around Europe. Having filled up the additive tank before leaving (although didn't really need to...) I could not reset the warning. 2500 miles later, the warning still comes on each time I start the car but it works just fine.

So for everyone's benefit... once the minimum warning comes on - it'll keep working for a good while!

One unconnected issue I have though is that an "Anti Pollution Fault" is raised every now and again. It usually comes on after 20mins of driving at about 70mph/2000~ish rpm. Then we're into limp mode. A stop for 10 mins at a motorway stop... and the warning light stays on, but the engine power is back to normal.
The "Anti Pollution Fault" then clears itself overnight.
Interestingly, driving at 90mph/~3000rpm... the fault never occurs. [And yes that was on the German Autobahn before anyone complains... I actually got 120mph out of it for a moment and it was still pulling! I had to back off because it sounded like the car was about to explode!]
Dropping back down to 70mph/2000~ish from 90mph... and 3minutes later... the "Anti Pollution Fault" appears.

The FAP is not blocked... and nothing is registered in the log when I view possible errors.

(*scratches head*) need to figure this one out. It's annoying. I would say though, that limp mode does help fuel economy on the motorway!

If anyone does have the ml/grammes conversion... it would be helpful. Thanks.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Thats good news re the minimum level as i'm in the same boat with my C5. re the ml-grammes conversion 2 ideas spring to mind. firstly I remember seeing a conversion chart on lexia when interogating it about resetting the minimum level. I think it is on a sub menu to do with replacing the DPF. I am struggling with this ressetting business and was looking at every menu and page that might help.
Second thought might be easier but may generate some debate. 1ml of water =1gramme in weight. I cant see EOLYS weighing significantly more or less.
Good luck with it mate :)
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)