I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by Stickyfinger »

HAHAHAHAHAHA....The total SNOTTYNESS of the first line.....LOL

Oh no, talking to each other on a modern form of communication is just beneath/beyond them....coke can and string anyone ?

http://www.jec.org.uk/registers/et/forum.php
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I spy Classic Cars gives 25 Points for an E-Type Jag Spot, but I have added an extra 75 schadenfreude bonus points because as far as pleasure in others misfortune goes, that breakdown couldn't have happened to a more deserving bloke.
From I Spy Classic Cars
Still regarded as being one of the most beautiful sports cars of all time, the original E-Type boasted Jaguar's potent 3.8-litre engine. Buyers were amazed that it cost half the price of an Aston Martin DB4 and yet at 145mph, was 5mph faster. The last cars, the series III, pack an incredible V12 engine; they are easily identifiable by softer contours and a larger flatter frontal air intake.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Ouch...

They're not all bad at least! My former flatmate is a Jag nut (three XJ6's, and two XJ8's) and I very nearly bought one of the 6's ffrom him - until I remembered how much parts for it cost and how frequently they seemed to be needed. Lovely motor to drive, but an absolute pig to work on. Everything seemed to be engineered to be as complicated and as difficult to get at as was physically possible so even simple jobs involved taking half the car apart. Never, ever want to change an XJ8 heater water pump ever again...yes...they have a separate electric water pump for the heater flow. What's wrong with using a valve like everyone else?

...having said that, I'll probably eat those words in a couple of years once the savings pot reaches the point that I can afford my Rolls...though in my experience they are at least less temperamental if properly looked after. Jags just seem to be temperamental no matter what you do to them.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've wanted a Rolls for years, either a S1 Shadow with the hydraulic front struts ('67 would do well) or a late-ish Spirit. Neither faze me mechanically/electrically; I've read up on the special tools and redundancy braking.

A 400i Fezza was the dream, but they have rocketed up in price and I seem to have found Miss Right so the "Boy Toys" are off limits now.
NewcastleFalcon

So I presume you like this rear-end then Addo

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

another 10 points go begging again for me today due to not having my camera with me. A Volkswagen T2 Camper Van in "light Brown" and "Cream/white"-A Danbury Conversion. Unusual thing about it....it was a 2009 registration.

Well apparently Danbury can still offer you a brand-new 2015 Camper-Van built by Volkswagen, and converted by themselves. This example is available for £40,306.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Speaking of Kombis, I saw a split window crew cab bakky yesterday. That's fairly rare. It was a roughie.
NewcastleFalcon

addo wrote: I saw a split window crew cab bakky yesterday...... It was a roughie.
This one is a "smoothie" right?

and I imagine this is a "roughie"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Rolls for me will be a Silver Spirit - probably as late as I can get before they mucked the dash up (89 I think) as the fuel injection makes a big difference to economy and torque - and I have a poor history with SU carbs!

The Spirit hasn't got quite the same status as the Shadow yet, so is a cheaper car to buy (£10K should get you a really nice one) and is a bit easier to live with. The only things which kill either of them though really are rust, neglect and disuse. Parts are silly expensive, but you shouldn't need many as the cars are so over-engineered - just get one that's already had the hydraulic overhaul as that will lighten your wallet by about five grand!

I blame a friend for letting me borrow his for a weekend...was instantly hooked. Words like "handling" aren't in their vocabulary, but that's not what they are about...nothing else wafts along in such total comfort and feels so special. (Okay...never driven a CX, but would love to compare, and my Renault 25 Monaco came damn close for total comfort). Grace, space and pace are the words usually associated with Jag, but a Spirit has those all well covered...plant the foot and while there is nothing so crude as a kick in the back you will suddenly become distantly aware of being hurled down the road at quite an alarming rate of knots. Something that weighs over two tonnes has no right to accelerate anything like that rapidly. One of the few cars I would probably use the cruise control in on the motorway! It's so quiet and so smooth it is incredibly easy to find yourself wandering into triple digits without even trying. The owner tells me that the sweet spot on the Autobahn is about 115mph where it's happiest.

I've borrowed a lot of very exotic cars off Craig over the years, but that was one of the very few I was genuinely sad to have to give back. It just fits my preferred driving style so well.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you're ever looking to buy a pre BMW Rolls then make sure it's had the head gaskets replaced as they generally fail at 60k+, replacing them is a £5,000 bill.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Why so much for a head service? Are they $1200 just for the gaskets or something?

Neil, the Kombi's condition was in-between those two. It had the Von Douche style rear pinstriping motif, and dented panels with slightly satined amateur paint, but no fake business logos or Porsche wheels. And your 400i tailend is marvellous! I passed on a very tidy one of them for $23K the other year, just couldn't swing it. :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Saw an unusual one this morning. A really tidy MKIII Chavalier in red. How often do you see one of those now?

Also spotted a Blue XM in Hastings on the way to Malcolm's funeral...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

A nice pair?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I had one of those for a few months.....the early one, bloody slide fest of a car, just a little snip better than the Morris Marina
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I had a MKIII Cavalier when the girls were little... Towed a big caravan with it and I have to be honest, it was a very competent family car. Did exactly what was expected of it but a bit dull and unexciting in cooking 1.8 form...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...