C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi starting, wiring, faults

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi starting, wiring, faults

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi All

New to the forum so apologies if I am covering something that someone else has already dealt with

I have a 2010 C5 Mk3 1.6HDI VTR estate which is now starting to fall into the category of "Seemed like a good idea at the time"

It was bought in January and had no issues for the first month or so, then I started to get all sorts of random error codes, "Risk of Particle Filter Clogging" etc etc

It was noticed that it seemed to be chuffing black smoke and was generally performing quite poorly, so into the garage for a service (All the filters etc, etc, Despite the fact it was telling me that it wasn't due for another 4K or so!)

Sorted all the smoke and performance issues, however I started to notice that it was not starting on the button everytime and was still getting error codes up, however most would clear themselves after a day or so (Or less, one popped up for about 20 minutes and then cleared itself!!!)

However starting is now becoming an issue, almost every time, I need to turn it over 3 or 4 times and when it does eventually go, it seems to struggle to get the revs up. Once they come up it will settle back and idle fine and it will run fine. I also now seem to have a permanent engine management light on and the inevitable "Bong - Anti Pollution System Faulty " message

Error codes I am now getting, which do not seem to clear/erase are as follows

P0100 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction
P0245 Turbo Wastegate Solenoid A Low
P0405 EGR Sensor A Low
P2143 EGR Vent Ctrl Circ/Open

I am assuming one/some/All of these are causing my miss start problem, but don't really have a clue

Gut feeling is telling that it is a wiring issue, and my Gut is also telling me that if I knew where these sensors/devices are located, I may find a common loom issue

Does anybody have any ideas, I am starting to regret buying the car, It is a plated private hire vehicle so I need it to be reliable and hopefully give me plenty of easy miles, but it doesn't seem like I am going to get them

Also one final point, before I bore you all to death. Does anybody know where I can get the plastic trims that are down the side of the windscreen. Both of mine have disappeared on the motorway (Quite worrying when the car starts to fall apart once you get to 70mph)
Citroen want £74.95 + VAT each, which I find a little excessive for a piece of plastic

Look forward to hearing some ideas

Many Thanks in anticipation

Mike
2010 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR Tourer
2005 Renault Laguna 3.0V6 Initiale Tourer
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi starting, wiring, faults

Post by DickieG »

Firstly welcome to the forum, with those codes I'd say the EGR valve may need cleaning which may also sort out the other two codes as a blocked EGR valve will upset the flow of gases through the engine.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi and welcome.....
Where are you based ? its good to put that in your sig so local members can offer advice...

Your issue, it sounds like egr to me as well, the devices do clog with lots of short drives or with Low RPM motorway cruse. It is a relatively easy job to remove and clean it Also, did you change the fuel filter ?, that also can clog quickly and is often "forgotten" in service.
The Pressure regulator can also cause starting problems....quite common but you need live data from a Lexia to check that.

There was a recall by Citroen on the screen fillets.....go argue the point with Citroen IF your screen is an original, it may be worth it to push it up to the HQ as dealers just like to say No.

Do you have a Lexia, does the garage (if not a main dealer) you go to have one ? they are needed to read the live data from Citroen's.

Last, give it a good Italian Tune up, scream the thing @ 4/rpm for a good 20 mins on a motorway, it often works wonders.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi and thanks for responding

I am based down in Poole in Dorset

The fuel filter was replaced along with the others

EGR does look likely.....If only I knew what it looked like!!

Most of my motorway work, which I do a fair bit, due to airport runs etc are usually up around 2.5K to 3k revs anyway due to the 5 speed box

I have been looking at a Lexia, but haven't got around to the expense yet, maybe someone local has one that could take a swift look for me (Maybe in exchange for a couple of free taxi's to the pub etc)

I'll investigate the Recall further, thanks for the heads-up on that
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well I am a sort(ish) trip up if needed, your most welcome.

I would say that a Lexia is a very good investment and will save you money as Citroen charge £75(ish) for a reading.
Most here will tell you it is 99% necessary to own if you drive a C5x7. I even take mine down to my local Indi and they use it when needed.

The line pressures in the exhaust should be read as well (again via Lexia) if you have had DPF blocked warnings to see the condition of your Eolys additive tank and DPF pressure drop %

Just to get the history a bit and cover some of the standard questions for that engine/car:

Mileage ?
What work did the garage do (was it an indi or main dealer) to fix the problems you had before ?
At what intervals have you been doing Oil Changes ?
What Oil have they used ?
Do you have any soot build up around the injectors ?

Join Citroen Service here...
http://service.citroen.com/do/inscription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EGR
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi

Mileage is 126K

It would seem a lot of the earlier faults were down to very sludgy oil, it seems the car had been used regularly up to about a year before I bought it and had done little mileage for the last year

Engine drained, flushed and re-filled with 5w30 Semi synthetic as recommended by supplier (Is that right??)
New Oil, Air and Fuel filters. I haven't done the pollen filter as going to Spain in two weeks and will do it when I return as usually filthy after that trip
I have noticed a bit of soot on the top of the engine under the pop on (Rattle a lot) plastic cover and I have checked that the injectors are tight as mentioned in another thread
I have had many taxi's that I usually take to well in excess of 250K miles so religously change oil about every 10K to 12.5K and this car is great with the "Check" button
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK.
A standard issue is the oil pickup for the turbo and many engines across the users not just Citroen, have blown Turbo's in older cars.

I would 100% have the sump off, clean everything including the oil strainer, REMOVE and REPLACE the turbo oil feed pipe and REMOVE the filter from it, then go to 8k changes with a SPECIFIC Diesel Oil of the grade you use.
Do some forum searches on the engine/oil/turbo, a great engine IF looked after, injectors/turbo/egr if not..

Have the injectors checked/tightened and new bolts used (Not sure about removing them...others will comment on that), large carbon deposits are a known "assist" a blown turbo/dirty oil. This also will give the EGR/DPF a hard time as well.

By far...not all cars suffer these, but it may help looking at this list and then any solutions can be searched/asked for
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 44#p428944
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Lexia here in Christchurch if it's more convenient for you, Mike? I've just bought the 1.6 and am slowly learning my way around this engine and it's gremlins. Not sure I can help but happy to try.
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

MikeT wrote:Lexia here in Christchurch if it's more convenient for you, Mike? I've just bought the 1.6 and am slowly learning my way around this engine and it's gremlins. Not sure I can help but happy to try.
Christchurch sounds very do-able
I tend to be busy with work over the weekend (Taxi!!!) are you available early next week at all?

Would be good to get some definitive diagnosis to work from
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeC5Taxi wrote:
MikeT wrote:Lexia here in Christchurch if it's more convenient for you, Mike? I've just bought the 1.6 and am slowly learning my way around this engine and it's gremlins. Not sure I can help but happy to try.
Christchurch sounds very do-able
I tend to be busy with work over the weekend (Taxi!!!) are you available early next week at all?

Would be good to get some definitive diagnosis to work from
Diary's clear at the moment. Let me know when's convenient for you and I'll send my personal details via pm.
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

How does Monday PM sound?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

PM sent
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Just to update everybody
Bloody clutch has gone this evening, possibly quite big style

AA man thinks it may have taken the gearbox with it (Big puddle of what looks like gearbox fluid on the floor)

Now I really wish I never bought it
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

:shock:
That absolutely sucks! :cry:
:think: are they hydraulic clutch pedals on these (never looked) if so, could it not just be clutch fluid?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep, standard clutch and metal springs. DMF is fitted as standard as well.
What is the millage on the car ?

A small diesel engine on big heavy car to qualify for a low tax band....who would of thought the clutch does not last long ? :(

but agree.....the situation sucks big time !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider