I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car summer season-what have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well another 30 points have gone begging for me today when I spotted this vehicle as I did my kerb drill crossing the road. My own over harsh rules for myself-no picture-no points! came into play, and off it disapeared down the hill.
From I-Spy Classic Cars

This is the ultra high performance version of a radical mid-engined two-seater first introduced in 1978. All of "Company X's" handling and roadholding virtues are evident, and the 210bhp of energy from the turbocharged 2.2 litre engine makes this a 150 mph machine. Side skirts and spoilers keep it anchored to the tarmac.
Small instant win of an iconic tetrahedral drink/ice lolly if you can get it with the description above

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not sure about the car you spotted whilst observing your Green Cross Code, but the orange drink reminds me of a Bond Bug :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

...You get 35 points for a Genuine Bond-bug spot if you see one when you are out and about. Original jubbly's would have well-soggied the cardboard containers by now :-D
From I-Spy Classic Cars

One of the most extraordinary cars ever to hit British Roads, the bug was a cheap-to-run fun car for young drivers; its "tricycle" status meant it could be driven on a motorbike license. Instead of individual doors, the whole upper section of the car lifts up as one giant canopy. The triangular, plastic body was offered in just one colour: bright orange!
The green cross code was a thing of the future when I was growing up. It was "stop at the kerb, look right, look left, then right again.... if all clear "quick march". Backed up with real Policemen visiting the school telling us about it!

Regards Neil

....yes and there was the "Tufty Club"

ImageImage
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Tufty's rules are not always the best.

Two rabbits and a hedgehog standing on the roadside. The Hedgehog says I'm too scared to cross cos I'll get splattered! Rabbit one says naaa, all you have to do is walk into the road, wait for a car then when one comes just make sure you are in the centre of the headlights and the car will pass over you without a scratch.

I'm not convinced said hedgehog!!! So rabbit two says I'll show you.

He runs into the road, a car comes and he positions himself in the middle of the headlights. The car passes over him without a scratch. Okay!! says hedgehog, I'll take your word for it and try it myself. Hedgehog walks straight out into the middle of the road and gets SPLATTERED

Rabbit one looks at rabbit two and says you BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!! You could of told him that was a Reliant Robin !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

At least the hedgehog would have had the satisfaction of 20 points for spotting a Reliant Robin!

Regards Neil

Course Del Boy's catchphrase Image comes from the ad camaign for the original Jubbly drink/lolly.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:...You get 35 points for a Genuine Bond-bug spot if you see one when you are out and about. Original jubbly's would have well-soggied the cardboard containers by now :-D
From I-Spy Classic Cars

One of the most extraordinary cars ever to hit British Roads, the bug was a cheap-to-run fun car for young drivers; its "tricycle" status meant it could be driven on a motorbike license. Instead of individual doors, the whole upper section of the car lifts up as one giant canopy. The triangular, plastic body was offered in just one colour: bright orange!
The green cross code was a thing of the future when I was growing up. It was "stop at the kerb, look right, look left, then right again.... if all clear "quick march". Backed up with real Policemen visiting the school telling us about it!

Regards Neil

....yes and there was the "Tufty Club"

ImageImage
I did spot a Bond Bug a few weeks back, not far from here either - Stanley!

There used to be one in The Galleries car park a few years ago - I haven't been there for ages but it may still appear there and is probably the same one.
NewcastleFalcon

Ah Stanley......I presume you got out of it alive? Home of the worlds coldest bus stops in the 1960's!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My former next door neighbour moved there - at least between there and Beamish. Was visiting her when I spotted it - heading towards Chester Le Street.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I spotted a Triumph Dolomite 1300 on our way into Aberdeen. It looks clean and fresh in British Racing Green, S reg. I also spotted a clean pug 205,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[emoji48] [emoji7] [emoji4]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
NewcastleFalcon

Heres a visual reminder of the Dolomite 1300

The Triumph's appearing in I Spy Classic cars are the Herald, the Acclaim, the Renown, the Stag, and the TR2. I reckon in accordance with the tone of the selections that a dolomite of any description would be worth 30 points.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

My spots today, none of which satisfied my own no picture no points criteria, were

An orange 2CV like this

and the previously mentioned offering from Company X again like this only in red, no snow or mountains and no Roger Moore :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

8-) :-D Another orange one :-D Lovin' it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy classic cars isn't over-generous with a 2cv spot, even if it is orange :) Only 5 points on offer.
From I-Spy Classic Cars

You only need to look at the 2CV to see how its nickname of the "tin snail" arose. This go-antwhere utility car was designed to carry French countryfolk, and their cargoes of eggs, across rutted fields in economical comfort. So the powerpack of air-cooled engine and front-wheel drive are thrifty on petrol, while long travel suspension ensures a soft ride.

Used to get a lift into work in one in the 1980's, didn't go across any rutted fields with eggs on board so can't confirm the "economical comfort" quoted!

Of course if you spot an unusual one like this two-tone with a boot box, expect a points avalanche to come your way.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's a pregnant 2CV....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Kids will put silly spoilers on anything these days !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting