Insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Insurance

Post by daviemck2006 »

I suppose this has been asked a lot, does anyone have multi car insurance which you can add or take cars off of at no extra charge, as there will be 3 cars in my name insured? The insurance I am with did not want to change my existing policy over to the megane although they did eventually. I have been charged £30 every time I have changed it. My policy started with the c5, they did not cancel it when it got written off. Then it was the fiesta, then the pug 206 for a month then back to the fiesta and now the megane. That's £120 extra and they will not change again. I don't want to go the trader route, as I am not a trader. I just like having different cars. Has anyone any ideas? I have just been quoted £245 to start a new policy with nil NCB for the 205 1.1, the 205 gti was £1100 and my existing policy was 165 for the c5 plus the £120 for all the changes., and if I add on shauns 107 at £675 that's a lot of money. That's £2305 in insurance in this household! I just wonder if there's any way to get it cheaper.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Insurance

Post by CitroJim »

Not Admiral. They charge an arm and a leg for changes on policies :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hate insurance companies. Never had a policy under $400 for anything, the 605 for this year is $492 (tax and test)+$413 (mandatory injury policy) +$575 (comprehensive/liability cover) on a limited use vehicle. That's £700. The Berlingo about half as much again, being a commercial vehicle.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

YIKES Addo.....its good your all paid so much and don't have heating bills then !

After much searching, I decided to go with separate companies rather than trying to add my Activa and C5x7 together....all seemed more £££ for some reason ? (this was complicated because the Activa is not on the "Lists" in the UK)

I would say talk to a trader account company and ask them if you can get a Any-Car/Value based policy
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, I am with Quote Me Happy, and the insurance for the C5 was about £10 LESS than for the Xantia! Strange, considering it is more powerful, bigger, more expensive (and so on!). Not sure about multiple vehicles though.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Was on multi car for a while, then it became cheaper to have individual policies.

You need to find a broker who knows what they are doing and keep away from the GoComparethemeercatsavings.com. It will probably cost you more initially but may be less in the long run.

In the mainstream market they are buying your business with a low quote and then hope you automatically renew next year without noticing the price hike.

As they are effectively buying your business they are looking for every which way to get a bit of cash back when they've "got you".

I rarely change cars, but this year I did 2 months into one of my policies. Initial cost was £200 which was a good price, phoned them to change cars expecting to pay the £25 admin fee quoted which is far enough as they are doing some extra work.

Gave reg number of replacement car, confirmed nothing else had changed and then nearly fell off my chair when the guy said that would be £135. So now my premium is effectively £332 for the year. I questioned why the circa 70% hike in price. Guy went into script mode, eg. different cars have different risks, some cost more to repair, etc, etc. At this point I asked him to look at the make and model I had changed from and the make and model of the replacement (they were identical other than the colour, black to blue, and the replacement one was a few months older). There then followed a long silence and the need to go and speak to his manager. In the end I paid £50 but wasn't happy. What's the betting the renewal comes in at nearer £350 next time?

Hell Razor - for some reason I have always found the Xantia seemed disproportionately expensive to insure. Ignoring the opportunism above, my Jaguar S Type was only £35 more to insure than the Xantia on the same basis (Comprehensive, Business Use, 15,000 miles per year).
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

John Lewis Insurance were quite cheap, and do not change for changes.
HOWEVER, they do charge an increased premium if you are a new owner to the car?????

Only realised as wanted to take the Xantia off the road to fix a few issues and a Xantia appeared locally for a good price. They wanted an extra £150 to change the policy over (which was about 2/3 of the annual renewal) Queried this as apart from being a different colour the car was exactly the same spec, year model etc etc.
Turns out that some firms load the premium as they dont think you will be able to drive a car that you have not driven before.

Just to confirm, requested a quote for the new car, but said I'd owned it for two years, and there was no change to the premium.

Insurance companies, they will always find a way :)
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Well I suppose 245 probably isn't bad for starting from scratch a new policy when I had a claim less than a year ago. That quote is from the same company via confused.com as all our other cars are with, and they were very good handling my claim. Shauns 107 is stand alone in his own name, the megane is in my name, just me driving, the gti is in my name , him named as main user me as second driver. When I insured it they gave me an extra 20% discount for insuring with same company. I shall have to phone them, I may get something off the extra car, I will limit the mileage and only myself driving. If I get 20% off again that will be under 200 notes so that would be ok, even though it will be twice what I am paying for the car!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Very pleased with Privilege Insurance again. That's all 4 cars in this household insured with them. As I am the only driver on the renault and the 205 gl, they matched the NCB I have left on the renaults policy after one claim then gave me a multi car discount which took the price of the policy down to a good bit less than 1/2 what the quote given via confused.com. It took 8 minutes on the phone with a very pleasant and chatty British lady that I could understand to re do the quote, speak to her line manager to make sure I was getting the best possible deal and buy and pay for the insurance. Highly recommended company for me. They are direct line with one or two of the niceties removed. I have had absolutely nothing but good service from them.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's good to hear Davie, I might have a natter wit them next time...

You need to update your signature now :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm always on the phone or tablet using tapa talk Jim. Don't see signatures on there, so I will have to log out of tapa talk and on through the browser and change it.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
K-Pug
My Cars: Quite a few RWD Peugeots

Re:

Post by K-Pug »

addo wrote:I hate insurance companies. Never had a policy under $400 for anything, the 605 for this year is $492 (tax and test)+$413 (mandatory injury policy) +$575 (comprehensive/liability cover) on a limited use vehicle. That's £700. The Berlingo about half as much again, being a commercial vehicle.
Oh come on addo, be fair, we love them when we've needed them! :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:I'm always on the phone or tablet using tapa talk Jim. Don't see signatures on there, so I will have to log out of tapa talk and on through the browser and change it.
Ahh Ha :idea: :!: Never realised that Davie!!!
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

A car collectors policy is best really for those with more than a few cars that change and get bored :)