Time expired?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

Re: Time expired? Now what!

Post by superloopy »

citronut wrote:
Eroe wrote: Lots of foamy fluid around when I unscrewed them, any ideas?
this is caused by the nitrogen that has leaked into the citro blood, probably the balder in that sphere has ruptured so dumped all its gas into the system

Eroe wrote:And noticed after a long run to test, fluid on top of resevoir where I had cleaned off surplus....?

usually this is due to the reservoir being way over filled, with the car on level ground and fully up at its highest setting, the yellow disc should be between the two red bands, your will almost certainly be right up in the top of the sight glass,

the only problem this will cause is a mess on top of the tank/reservoir, as the rubber seal around the tank unit is just a dust seal, and not to hold any sort of pressure at all
As citronut says the 'foaming' is almost certainly down to one or more ruptured spheres leaking their nitrogen (what's left) into the fluid.

Once you've changed the spheres you need to bleed the system all round (not that difficult a task as essentially the pressure in the system does that for you itself) to eliminate any gas in the system and get it clean again ...things should be aok after that.

Just make sure that your reservoir is not overful to avoid splashing around the top which only really causes a mess and not much else, aside form costing you money in swilling too much LHM around the engine bay.

Your car's problems dont sound that bad at all and just need a little bit of attention and servicing, certainly nothing to warrant too much concern although you will need to spend a bit of cash over time to get her sorted.

Well worth it ... ps whereabouts are you located?
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Eroe

Re: Time expired?

Post by Eroe »

Thanks Citronut, did have amoment last year when a garage change flexible hoses and he told me he had 'topped up' the resovoir, and the little yellow thingy is jammed right at the top of the sight glass. Would you advise syphoning out some till it reads properly? And any ideas about the ignition issue?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what year and engine is this car????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Eroe

Error code P0903

Post by Eroe »

Have had this pop up on diagnostics, however, there is nothing wrong with my clutch. Read on a 306 forum, that this can also mean brake plug issue on Suzuki with Pergeot engine, any ideas???
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Re: Error code P0903

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Have you checked the clutch switch and the wiring on the entire circuit? What's live data and actuators test telling you in Planet?
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Eroe

Re: Error code P0903

Post by Eroe »

Hi, thanks for reply. since I posted whole system has failed. got the AA out to start it so I could take it to the garage, and key wasn't recognised. Had to have it towed, and now it sits in the road outside the garage as everyone seems to just either try the key, or ries to use a code reader. Any ideas would be appreciated, too much sucking in of cheeks and shaking of heads.......
Eroe

Multiple Electrics failure Citroen Xantia

Post by Eroe »

Sorry to hear about Citronut by the way.
But I need some serious help people. You have helped me twice before with key and steering problems. This time I have a really big problem. My 1999 HDI Xantia won't start. I had to get the AA to tow it to the garage, and now it just sits there
It has diesel and a charged batttery
They tried to fault code it, couldn't get it to read and have abanndoned it...
Now everybody seems to just think I throw it away but its lovely......
So here is what I know:
new key last year - worked since
key light no longer going out but was
couldn't hear fuel pump even when light went out but works when 12volts put across it
fault codes 0560/0903 read
car has abs
glow plugs have been checked
problems with starting go back several months, got worse and worse
Please any ideas that I can pass on will be helpful....
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Hi, all and especially Citronut RIP, have sorted my sheres, thanks, needed two in the end. Simple jobs, took about 15mins.
However, have major problem. won't start. Have put huge post on asking for help but managed to put on peugeot instead of Citroen!!!!
Still don't want to abandon her. I you'd like to help please see Citroen Xantia post by me on other forum?
Eroe

Major system failure Citroen Xantia

Post by Eroe »

Sorry to hear about Citronut by the way.
But I need some serious help people. You have helped me twice before with key and steering problems. This time I have a really big problem. My 1999 HDI Xantia won't start. I had to get the AA to tow it to the garage, and now it just sits there
It has diesel and a charged batttery
They tried to fault code it, couldn't get it to read and have abanndoned it...
Now everybody seems to just think I throw it away but its lovely......
So here is what I know:
new key last year - worked since
key light no longer going out but was
couldn't hear fuel pump even when light went out but works when 12volts put across it
fault codes 0560/0903 read
car has abs
glow plugs have been checked
problems with starting go back several months, got worse and worse
Please any ideas that I can pass on will be helpful....
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Major system failure Citroen Xantia

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A guess (but this is a guess) is that the immobiliser has glitched (as the light is not going out). I am not sure where to go from there.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Does it crank? What lights show on the dash?

I'm sure Lexia will allow the narrowing down of faults.
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Thanks for getting on the problem, am thinking immobiliser. It does crank, and there are lights that go out as normal, however, lexias will not connect, I once got a cheap hand held to connect, but the big expensive one AA and Garagage have won't read!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What is your location? You really need to get a Lexia system onto it, as they are the most likely to work with Citroens and Peugeots.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I can't understand why a Lexia won't talk, unless there is no power to the relevant pins of the diagnostic port - some of the code readers I think just "buzz" the respective lines and don't look for a live reference source.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

If a Lexia won't 'see' it maybe you have corrosion on the ECU multi pin plug and socket. Disconnect battery and leave for a few minutes, then disconnect multi pin connector on the ECU and if necessary clean contacts with a toothbrush and contact cleaner NOT WD40.

Immobiliser light not extinguishing could indicate broken connection of the aerial surrounding the ignition switch.

HTH
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten