RT4 Navidrive map update problem

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

peterhogarth

Re: RT4 Navidrive map update problem

Post by peterhogarth »

Hi peterhogarth back on two legs so have tried updating to 8.31. I obtained 8.31 from the local dealer. It installed correctly and checked out correctly as 8.31. Unfortunately the fault remains. ie accurate position identification is shown but screen refreshes only at about 1 minute intervals. Overall map orientation constantly and smoothly changes during the minute but the car stays fixed to street position. I expected 8.31 to correct the fault . Is there any bright computer boffin out there who could shed more light on the problem
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

There are some options with MiraScripts, you can really do some "damage" to the unit, maybe it will help recover it ... in case it is a SW problem, not that something HW failed ... link: http://mira308sw.altervista.org/en/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, find MiraScripts (not RT6-MiraScripts, they're for the latest eMyWay only) ... there is a manual in PDF, maybe you can find some helpful info ... also, this is a good reminder about the RT4 in general: http://rt4.wikidot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

Hi peterhogarth back on two legs so have tried updating to 8.31. I obtained 8.31 from the local dealer. It installed correctly and checked out correctly as 8.31. Unfortunately the fault remains. ie accurate position identification is shown but screen refreshes only at about 1 minute intervals. Overall map orientation constantly and smoothly changes during the minute but the car stays fixed to street position. I expected 8.31 to correct the fault . Is there any bright computer boffin out there who could shed more light on the problem.
Regards Peter
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

thanks vborovic for your reply. I am afraid I am a bit long in the tooth to take full advantage of your details. I go back to Autocode, fortran,basic and pascal so I will not attempt a cure myself . I am very interested in the structure of the programming . The signal is normally showing 8 or 9 satellites and the location is very accurate.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

This is easy once you try it, basically, what the MiraScripts package does is it mimics the FW update procedure, while actually doing something else (backup, copying, removing, etc.) ... there are things you can change directly on the nav unit by simple yes/no questions, or if you'd use DAT Explorer, you could backup the data on the USB, place it in the PC, make changes wit the DAT Explorer, and import the modified data to the RT4 device ... what I was thinking is that you could potentially remove cache, spy folder or something similar that is maybe clogging the device, making it unusable (fixed car position, if it was actually working as it should at one point in time)
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

vborovic wrote:This is easy once you try it, basically, what the MiraScripts package does is it mimics the FW update procedure, while actually doing something else (backup, copying, removing, etc.) ... there are things you can change directly on the nav unit by simple yes/no questions, or if you'd use DAT Explorer, you could backup the data on the USB, place it in the PC, make changes wit the DAT Explorer, and import the modified data to the RT4 device ... what I was thinking is that you could potentially remove cache, spy folder or something similar that is maybe clogging the device, making it unusable (fixed car position, if it was actually working as it should at one point in time)

Sorry about the long delay in replying. Knee replacement sort of took priority.
You make it sound so simple but I feel too out of date. I would love to see the software, (fully annotated ). I have done some real time programming but so long ago. If I could find someone local (UK NE9) with suitable knowledge I would be pleased.
Thanks for your interest, peter
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, if I wrote what it actually does, it wouldn't sound so simple ... :D ... no, seriously, if you ever did a map update or firmware update of your RT4 device, it isn't more complicated than that (ok, maybe more yes/no messages than normal, nut that's about it)
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

vborovic wrote:Well, if I wrote what it actually does, it wouldn't sound so simple ... :D ... no, seriously, if you ever did a map update or firmware update of your RT4 device, it isn't more complicated than that (ok, maybe more yes/no messages than normal, nut that's about it)
peterhogarth again. I have a further piece of information. The screen updates at about 1 minute intervals but the screen does not update when the car is stationary with engine running. Does the program have an input from car speed. this would allow tracking under trees etc. Would you know if this were so.

regards Peter
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Yes, the nav units take speed into consideration (that's why the navigation works under tunnels - an estimate of course)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

vborovic wrote:Yes, the nav units take speed into consideration (that's why the navigation works under tunnels - an estimate of course)
They certainly do, when I was doing a job for Rolls Royce in Monaco I was driving s Ghost in an underground car park several floors down and below a tower block of the Columbus Hotel yet the sat nav tracked the cars route perfectly including every turn, clever stuff or what.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

Thanks to vborovic and dickieg for rapid replies . I have crudely measured time between updates . driving 80 sec average of 7 updates, stationary 150 sec to more than 500 secs. I have arranged a visit to the local citroen agent to "put it on the computer" . Do you think that will help?.

Thanks again Peter
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Depending on what he considers a computer ... if it is Lexia/DiagBox (the usual PSA tool), I don't think something usable will come out if it ... the unit might throw errors (like, speaker not connected, antenna, etc.), but if it is a complicated hardware error, it probably won't be registered as an error at all ... I would think it is a software (firmware) issue, like it is clogged with extra or excess data (cache), that's why it is working, only slower ... but that's just my opinion
Mikeshardan
My Cars: C4 VTR 3door

Post by Mikeshardan »

Problems with Loading 8.31 to Navdrive

Hello, Andy Lynswin, Trainman or any body else who can help.

I own a French registered C4 VTR registered in 2007. The Navdrive is an RT4/5. I decided to upgrade the mapping system and to include Zones of Risk. I ordered the latest CD updates on line from Citroen, then in the meantime came across your forum. I realised that my operating system would properbly need updating to 8.31.

Yesterday I went to my Citroen main dealer and explained in my poor French the problem. A mechanic was sent out to the car who confirmed that the installed operating system was 7.10, he then helped me order the CD update to 8.31. This arrived this morning (cost of €5.50) and I have made two attempts to load it. I start the engine, wait a few seconds the enter the CD. There is initially a “Zipping sound” like that one hear when putting a disc in a computer, then nothing; no prompts or change of display, the engine was left running a the disc in place for40 minutes each time. I watched a YouTube of this procedure being carried out on a Peugeot and saw all these things happen and included 3 reboots.

Before I go back to the garage and ask them to install is there something so simple that I have missed, such as going to the menu and going to a certain setting? If so can anyone give me an idiots guide to installation. If it is a case that 7.10 cannot read 8.31 is there an interim update from 7.10 which would the enable me then to go 8.31
Mike
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Hi Mike,

The best suggestion that I can offer is to check that the CD drive works by playing something or copying to Juke box.

Make sure that your new 8.31 disk is free from greasy finger prints, scratches etc and given that it cost 5.50 Euros, take it back and demonstrate the lack of performance.

From what I have read (Gpsunderground) people have updated from a lower version than yours 7.02 to 8.31 with no problem.

Andy
If it can happen it will.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ mike - Do you have a USB connector available on the RT unit, or is the CD drive your only option?