Off to Aberdeen next weekend

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Off to Aberdeen next weekend

Post by qprdude »

Round trip of around 1100 miles. Up on Saturday/Sunday, and back on Thursday/Friday (ish)
Car to be vacuumed/ washed/ fluids and pressures checked. MOT being done on Monday in Aberdeen and any repairs that are needed. Need to get that silly code from DVLA for the loan car insurance. What a pain.
Some rusty pipework and accumulator spheres at the back, so I expect to need to take out a mortgage.
A320/M25/M40/M42/M6/M74/M73/M90/M80/M9/A9/M90/A90 job done.
Might come back down the other side for a change, depending on when I can set off.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Off to Aberdeen next weekend

Post by Stickyfinger »

Enjoy the drive and cruse control :), did the trip a couple of years back, the C5 is the car for it :)

Melrose - Hawick - Gretna Green is a fantastic road if you have the extra hour
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

OOps, I might have miss-timed the run somewhat. Just realised that the return will coincide with the British F1 GP at Silverstone. As it is more or less slap bang between the M1 and the M40, there is likely to be some traffic problems on both motorways at some point The most likely scenario is that I leave on Friday and stay overnight somewhere, which puts me in the Silverstone region around mid-day on Saturday, qualifying time. Is there any way I could miss the potential traffic without too long a detour?
I've done the cross country route from Edinburgh to the M74 a couple of times. It would be nice if I was alone but SWIMBO is not a fan of driving, never mind on the twisty bits. Also done the Galashiels run from Edinburgh to Newcastle . As del would say, the world is my lobster.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

M40 will be clear, more reps run that road mid week than go to Silverstone :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

MMm, you sure. I seem to remember sitting in a 6 mile tailback at junction 11 a few years ago during the GP. I'll give it a try then as I don't really like the M1 much.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

or just check the live traffic with Google Maps on the way down.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We have recently returned from a 2000 mile trip around Scotland, mainly the far north. I used to do all sorts of preparation for a journey like that, now I just get in and go. :) We averaged an indicated 63.4mpg in our 406 Hdi estate, actual measured mpg was about 58, still not bad though but it would probably bore you to tears to drive like me. :-D

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I'll be looking for anything in excess of 40 mpg peter! I always start out with the best intentions but tend to get swept along.
Hope you had a good holiday this year.
We are doing the trips in the opposite direction now that we have moved to Surrey.

We do something similar. When we lived in Kent we always came to the west country on holiday, now we live here we go to the north of Scotland.

We love it up there, beautiful scenery, very little traffic and few people. We have been every year since the '70s. We couldn't go last year due to various health issues and I suffered withdrawal symptoms :-D

Peter
Rick.

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Mmm, Scotland, makes me wistful. We get there most years but this year's an exception. Sounds like our driving styles are similar Peter :-D
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Aberdeen? Did that a few years ago when I took 2CV to the Shetland Classic Car Show, apart from bits of A1M, don't remember any motorway south of the border.

Off to the Outer Hebrides w/e after next but in the Jeep [partly because I'm going via "Jeep Jamboree" and partly because (if it comes to it) it's a more comfortable tin tent than the C15 AND there are a couple of beach accesses which the C15 just wouldn't make - or, at least, make it back!] & if it weren't for the detour through Bradford it would be the A1 again.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Arrived Aberdeen. Easy run North with only 10-15 minute delay around junction 29-31 on the M6 on Saturday. Usual tailgating and got too close. Two write off's I suspect ,and a long queue of traffic because of stupidity.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

1158 miles at 42.1 MPG
Not the most frugal engine, but quite a rapid journey in places. Quite a bit of traffic and masses of road-works on the M1 South. Reminds me why I normally use the M40/M6.
Back with a new MOT for the princely sum of £9 (wiper blade)
Why do cars always seem to run better when the have just been tested and washed?
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

When you wash the car, you make it lighter (the dirt comes off) ...

:D