RT4 Navidrive map update problem

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Lynswin

RT4 Navidrive map update problem

Post by Lynswin »

I have a 2007 Citroen C8 with an RT4 Navidrive system running software version 7.10.

The maps were outdated (2008/2009) so today I tried updating the maps with a CD of 2013/2014 maps.

The following is the sequence of events and the outcome! I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the situation and help!

With my engine running I inserted the disc and followed the prompts to update. All seemed normal and after ‘loading’ it said it needed to reboot. It switched it’s system off and rebooted to the ‘Citroen’ logo and then continued cycling between switching off and just showing the Citroen logo (the radio would intermittently come through the speakers also).

I waited for about half an hour while it just did this over and over again at which point I had to go to an appointment so I removed the CD and switched off the engine. I later went back to the car and started it, it continued to just cycle between ‘off’ and the citroen logo.

I tried removing the disc and reinserting it but it made no difference.

After about a further 20 mins, the screen said ‘checking HDD’ then went on to say ‘performing maintenance’. It then rebooted and continued cycling between these two message for about another 15 minutes, just rebooting, checking HDD and performing maintenance. It finally stopped doing this and I at last had my ‘normal’ screen back on.

I went into ‘Navigation’ and when I tried to type in an address it came up with the message ‘identifying CD’. It obviously couldn’t find a CD so just went back to the navigation screen. I inserted the CD and tried again to find a place. It came up with the message once more saying ‘identfying CD’ and after a short while it seemed to be right back at the start saying ‘do I want to update the maps’. I clicked no as it obviously didn’t work the first time and I am now extremely worried about messing up my whole system.

So in all, after about an hour and a half of messing around the only thing it accomplished was to wipe my current maps as there are no longer any maps installed.

I am reluctant to try again as I am worried that I may wipe my system altogether (something I thought had happened initially!), coupled with the fact that I'm not overly happy with having my engine just running for an hour and a half!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong or just being impatient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Re: RT4 Navidrive map update problem

Post by Estately »

Hi Lynswin,

Citroen C5 RT4/5

I think that you need to update the operating system to 8.31 - available on a CD from Citroen for five pence inclusive of VAT. This should be done before trying to install the latest maps.

NAVTEQ (or new name HERE) should supply 8.31 with the new maps as well.
It took 45 minutes with the engine running to install the new 8.31 operating system, the engine has to be running to stop the car going into eco mode which would cause the update to fail. This I am told would cause untold mapping software problems, presumably requiring access to the car's hard drive.

I think it would be best do some internet research before proceeding and maybe someone with first hand knowlwdge from the forum could help.

The instructions that came with the new maps gave the order in which to install the maps, each one took about 45 minutes to install and rather than having the engine ticking over we installed when we had a journey of similar length of time to do.

Hope that is of some help.

Andy
If it can happen it will.
Lynswin

Post by Lynswin »

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply. I was told the maps would run with my operating system. Also, I only have one disc and doesn't say anything about installing in any order - when the disc is inserted it just says something along the lines of 'do I want to update the maps'.

I've tried researching on the Internet but no joy which is why I posted here! ;-)
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I have RT4 in the C6, you most definitely need to get 8.31 first, there are additional function in the update that allows you to install speed cameras, for instance.

You will need the dealer to order a copy for you, which is as Andy has said about 5p. Install this first and second hen do not he map update, if your struggling I think I may still have the discs I used on the C6, which I know worked.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Lynswin

Post by Lynswin »

Thanks Steve. Have pm'd you.

Does anyone know if I can download the firmware update from somewhere? My local Citroen dealer are not the speediest or most helpful place! ;-)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Lynswin wrote:Does anyone know if I can download the firmware update from somewhere? My local Citroen dealer are not the speediest or most helpful place! ;-)
Try GPS underground
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Lynswin

Post by Lynswin »

Ok, a little update. I have now downloaded and installed the 8.31 firmware update successfully.
I tried again to reinstall the maps which this time seemed to go OK (restarted the system first time etc), but when I go to start navigation there are still no maps. I have no map on my display and I'm unable to search for an address.

When I try to search, I get a message saying 'Identifying CD'. If I then insert the CD, I just get into an endless loop of it asking me if I want to update (yes!), and then still no maps, and then, identifying CD!!!

I've even tried downloading maps from GPS Underground and exactly the same thing happens!!

What on earth is going on??

Someone please help!

Thanks
Lynswin

Post by Lynswin »

Also, if I go to 'map data base list', the new map is visible at the bottom of the list.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Hmm..... I'm wondering if the old map s still on the system? But the systems m hasn't recognised that a new map is installed.

Can I suggest trying something daft? If you press and hold the dark button for about 10 secs the system should perform a soft reboot.......

I have found the discs bit the final aware one is for 8.20, I have also found a speed camera disc and the UK map disc for 2012/13 if they are of any help?

Where are you based?
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Lynswin

Post by Lynswin »

Sorry for the delayed reply! I tried the soft reboot and that unfotunately didn't work. I have now managed to upgrade to 8.31 but still having the same problem as above and I also downloaded another map version. The same thing happens with each map I try to install so I don't think the map discs are the problem!

I did start a new thread here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=49323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but mo replies yet :-(
Jay_C4_Picasso
New User

Post by Jay_C4_Picasso »

Hi all, Im new to this forum, I have a 57 c4 picasso exclusive with the navidrive rt4/5 system installed, I had purchased the 2014/2015 sat nav update along with the latest software and risk area update. I installed the software first and that went fine and then the countries and then the risk area cd. The risk area cd did work and then it just ejected it stating that it was damaged or incomplete and now the sat nav is not useable it is just blank with the little arrow thing and I cannot input any countries or destinations. The countries have updated perfectly as on the system it all shows 2014/2015 and i tried to reinstall the software and hold the dark button for ten seconds but nothings working. I also repurchased the risk area from the navteq website and tried to reinstall it but its just saying the same thing incomplete or damaged. Does anyone know what this problem is or have they had this issue. Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

I have a Navidrive RT4/5 which is giving problems. It accurately identifies my position but only resets the display about every minute. Reseting the system does not help. Nor does a .battery disconnect. However over the last 6 months on 2 ocations the screen has gone blank for a day and on return normal operation has returned, - for a few days. I have been considering an operating system update. Is it possible that it might be a cure

peterhogarth
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Hi Peter,
If you have a poke about on the menus (note the technical term), sorry car not here, you will find a screen that gives the current version of the operating system and from your description I think that it will be one of the early versions.
The 8.31 version was issued partly to correct random blank screen and radio off moments. It most certainly worked for our 2007 C5 when installed (notes above).
In fact I found some service notes for our car at six months old where the previous owner complained of the radio and sat nav turning off and on randomly, this would have been before 8.31 became available and continued to do so until I installed 8.31.

Hope that helps

Andy.
If it can happen it will.
lakanooky2
My Cars: 1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX Blue ...... Scrapyard in the sky
2003 C5 2.0 8v HDI VTR Green With Leather
2004 C5 2.0 8V HDI Exclusive Estate Red With Leather
2004 C5 2.0 16v HDI VTR Hatchback Red
2005 C5 2.0 16V HDI VTR Estate Black With Leather

Post by lakanooky2 »

if a soft reboot does not work,try putting in the original map disc if you have one or can get hold of one .... worked for me in my C5
Thanks In Advance Mark
1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX Blue ...... Scrapyard in the sky
2003 C5 2.0 8v HDI VTR Green with Leather
2004 C5 2.0 8V HDI Exclusive Estate Red with Leather
2004 C5 2.0 16v HDI VTR Hatchback Red
2005 C5 2.0 16V HDI VTR Estate Black with Leather
peterhogarth

Post by peterhogarth »

thanks for quick reply. I have checked firmware . It is 7.11 so I will update and report result. I am out of action for a few days so will report then. Thanks again Peter