Road Salt, the costs vrs winter tires

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Road Salt, the costs vrs winter tires

Post by Stickyfinger »

I thought I would throw this out into General.....Ask yourself why your car is rotten after a few years and the bridges are rotting ?

make everybody get winter tires and save money ?.................who knows
A paper on the subject....SALT cost us ALL a FORTUNE it seems

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr ... 31-046.pdf
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I did read that, it seems a few years old, Americo-centric and relying heavily on the prior work of a coupla researchers whose credentials I have not looked into. The decay of reinforced concrete road surfaces is highly plausible, I know of similar (and not uncommon) re-bar corrosion from repeated use of harsh carpet cleaning solutions in residential concrete slabs.

Notwithstanding, people consider it a "right" to drive in freezing weather on standard tyres, at near to summer speeds, and throwing grit about is a politically savvy thing because it looks like the powers-that-be are doing something.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Road Salt, the costs vrs winter tires

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep....seems so.
There is not much about on the Total Cost Study side, I am surprised I thought I would find more info out there.

I am quite shocked at the corrosion on some cars I have seen recently when compared to a French one....years worth of advanced rot on the UK cars always in the vapor traps up around the sub-frames.
At the MoT test station I saw two cars go thru before me, one Ford at 5 years one Poxhall at 7 years old (then mine at 18 @years). Both had a good few areas on the undersides showing chips and tears in the protection and red stains under/around. I would not buy a Ford Monty for sure without a dame good look !...Even my Citroen X7 has these (HAD !) areas @4 years, again salt being the aggressor and destroying the zinc protection.

I for one will be a regular washer of my undersides in winter and an end of summer spray with diatrol is also a very cheap deal based on what I have seen.........another good reason for cars with the correct type of suspension.

I had truly become quite [very] naive to accept the "rot protected new cars" thing....its a fricking lie man ! its a fricking lie.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I was taking some bits off a '97 406 at the scrappers recently, and it was like new......so good I offered to buy it, but they wanted silly money. Not a spot of rust anywhere, not even the usual B pillar rot they all have at this age. All the bolt heads looked new and everything came apart very easily, wonderful. I picked up the service book, and to my amazement it had 186k on the clock. Then I noticed the service stamps, all from a place in the south of Spain :roll:

I usually give mine a scrub underneath with a product called Vactan. It's a phosphoric acid based compound that converts rusted steel, but it also has an acrylic blended in so it sets like plastic. Amazing stuff, not much if any surface preparation, cheap and non-hazardous. I've applied with a brush, or even sprayed it out of a weed killer spray. Can be over coated with paint or underseal if you are fussy but I've never bothered.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

@ evilally

shocking the difference between the cars isn't it.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That Vatican stuff sounds quite interesting, in the sense of its composition. Henkel's Paintgrip 253 is the closest we have here, and that's a phosphoric acid base with vinyl copolymer.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

How long will it be before all these reinforced concrete skyscrapers start falling down because the re bars have rotted away? Not even a coat of red oxide before the concrete is poured. 500 years, a couple of thousand? They're not going to last as long as stone structures thats for sure.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The Romans used concrete and wrought iron, it worked for them but then they didn't throw salt solution on it every year.

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think the alkalinity of the cement acts to preserve the rebar. Meaning theres external concrete corrosion before you have to worry about the rebar.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Remedial building is a growth industry, yes large structures are failing and some get massive repairs (basically being rebuilt one floor at a time). Can you imagine the cost!

Unreinforced concrete (or concrete with failed reinforcement) does not have neat planes of cleavage so there is often more residual strength than imagined. However I can assure you that some of what I hear about through work is downright scary!