The C4 Picasso Lounge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

The C4 Picasso Lounge

Post by R9UKE »

Hi guys, it's been a while!

I really love these, and am very much convincing myself that it'll make the next perfect daily driver at some point. Auto Express compared it to the pointlessness of the Avantime - that kinda says it all, I have to have one.

But the C4 Picasso isn't excactly a car that is talked about much in these circles. And underneath those lashings of chrome and spectacular seats lies a car that I don't really know much about at all.

Does anyone on here own a Lounge???

Doing a bit of generic research tells me they have air suspension at the rear which is so prone to failure it's even been on Watchdog. Is it at least good when it does work!?

Diesel only - much to my dismay, but is this 2.0 HDI adequately paced for the car? It's not even in a low tax bracket to ease the pain of filling up from the wrong pump!

Also the gearbox - glad to learn it isn't the EGS! Is it a good'un? Nice and smooth or Sensodrive whiplash-inducing?

I can imagine the build quality is much like my grandmothers C4.... Not great! But I can cope with that.

Cheers!
French is best.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Re: The C4 Picasso Lounge

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi.

I've done lots of miles in my father's C4GP (Exclusive with air suspension).

He's just had the air suspension replaced by standard springs, after replacing the compressor and airbags not too long ago. He tells me it isn't noticeably different, although of course it won't self-level any more. I'm sure I've read that lighty on here has done a few too.

The gearbox in your pics appears to be the EGS, and that seems to be all it came with. Automatic changes are jerky and irritating unless you're going at anything other than a sedate pace. Manual changes can be managed better, but are still slow. They're known for burning through clutches at a rate too - I can see why, especially if you do a lot of driving in stop/start traffic.

It can be hussled along quite well though (although the EGS engine is detuned from the standard). I struggle to get comfortable in it (I'm 6'3" though), but if I manage to get the seat right it's easy to get on with.

Took it to NI (and Eire) for a week three years, and concluded that I could quite easily live with one. But I'm still driving my Activa!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Post by hattershaun »

The 'Lounge' special edition was only available with the 2.0HDi 138hp engine and 6 speed automatic gearbox (the proper torque converter auto-adaptive Aisin-Warner box that's been used in many Citroens and is used by other manufacturers).
Gearbox should be nice and smooth. I had this engine/gearbox in a C4 Picasso in 2007 and it was a good car to drive.
The C4 Picasso is a fairly heavy car, so performance is more ' briskly adequate' than 'rapid'.
The air suspension doesn't really change the ride quality compared to the conventionally suspended versions; for certain, it's no wafting hydropneumatic car, like a C5.
If this Picasso's not been converted to coil springs/macpherson struts then budget about £500 to do the conversion at some time in the future.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks for the info guys.

I called about this one today. They sold it new, full history, spring conversion. Very tempted but the dealer is a good 1.5 hours away. Can you tell me when the belt needs changed on these?

http://www.usedcarsni.com/2008-Citroen- ... -143244098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
French is best.
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Post by hattershaun »

Cambelt change is due at 100k miles or ten years, from memory.
Persoanlly, I err on the side of caution with routine maintenance and like to go right through any car I buy, then I'm happy all is OK, so would probably consider having the belt changed.

Just looking at the pics again, when new the wheels had a 'chrome' finish.
Not sure is the car still has the chrome or they've been refurbished in standard silver paint.
Has this car got the integrated Nav? That was the only option I think.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009