DVLA abolish license counterpart from June 8 2015

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

DVLA abolish license counterpart from June 8 2015

Post by MikeT »

Well, not quite. They've moved it from a printed copy you keep, to an online database you need to log into (and all the faffing about that requires,especially if hiring a car).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ce-changes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: DVLA abolish license counterpart from June 8 2015

Post by Stickyfinger »

MikeT wrote:Well, not quite. They've moved it from a printed copy you keep, to an online database you need to log into (and all the faffing about that requires,especially if hiring a car).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ce-changes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, its late on Friday, you brake down and need to rent a car, yeh this will help........NOT !

Why not put up ALL details except Name & Address for EVERY issued license, match the unique number and you have a winner.
WTF is this Log-In rubbish, it IS PUBLIC Information NOT Private.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
MikeT wrote:Well, not quite. They've moved it from a printed copy you keep, to an online database you need to log into (and all the faffing about that requires,especially if hiring a car).

So, its late on Friday, you brake down and need to rent a car, yeh this will help........NOT !
It'll help me greatly as I have absolutely no idea where the paper part of my licence is! I'm not sure I've seen it since we moved house ( we only moved from next door) but that was nearly 5 years ago now..
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Oh I am so glad that I no longer have to manage the minibus driver permit scheme...this would have been another step in an already maddeningly time consuming process...

Given my prior dealings with the DVLA via that scheme, I predict their online checking scheme to work about as well as a chocolate teapot. Took me three months of arguing after I moved house to get my provisional Category D entitlement back on the licence due to a "database error" on their part. Luckily I had kept copies of everything (including the application forms for that, the medical etc) and they eventually backed down.

Know of two bus drivers who nearly lost their jobs in similar circumstances because when they moved their full cat D entitlement vanished. They both got things sorted out, but suffice to say after a couple of weeks their employers were getting a bit antsy! Think the paper system should stick around..especially as they obviously can't keep the back office working as it is.

Just like the road tax thing. Out of the last four cars that have needed taxing, I've actually got the reminder for one of them...

...and been pulled over for no tax in one two months after it was taxed. Luckily I had the paperwork in the glove box, and the officer who pulled me over was happy with that. He stated that it was happening "all the time" as of a couple of months after the abolition of the discs. That was a couple of months ago and thankfully hasn't happened since.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It doesn't surprise me. As soon as you bring IT in the equation it all goes bad... And this is not unique to the DVLA. It is everywhere and wreaking havoc..

A lot less IT and a lot less reliance on same would be a step in the right direction...

And I say that as a sort of IT professional. Only good thing about IT is it keeps me in a job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hear hear Jim,
It's driving my 83 year old mother in law crazy to be continually told to 'do it online' when she's never been online in her life and has no intention of ever doing so.
Likewise with the pay by phone parking, it used to be free, then you needed some coins. Now you need a mobile phone, a debit card, money in the bank, somewhere suitably shady to be able to read the phone, and somewhere quiet enough to hear the instructions. Anyone partially sighted (being driven) or deaf has no chance.
One day the power WILL go off.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, yes. They seem to have forgotten about the older generation who are not on-line... That is despicable... I end up doing lots of things for my dad. If he didn't have me to do these things he'd be snookered.

And the crazy notion of paying for parking by phone is just that.. Crazy...

And now the craziness has infected the Dartford crossing toll. Not only is it more expensive now but you must have internet access to pay and that must be done within 24 hours... What if you're crossing on the way to the continent and you have no mobile Internet access?

I despair... It stresses me a lot and I'm fairly tech-savvy so gawd knows how the average member of the public copes with it all...

As you say, one day it's all going to go horribly wrong...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I love it, I understand the concerns about the older generation, but as a disorganised moron, I absolutely love it. I don't need to remember to tax my car - I did it by direct debit online, so it just stays like that until I sell the car. Insurance likewise. I usually always have my phone and/or wallet with me. I can do pretty much *anything* . I don't need to remember to go and get coins from somewhere for a car park (which in itself can be just as frustrating as having to pay by phone - which isn't so bad once you've done it once and set up an account if you park there regularly). I can check in for my flights online. I can even scan a barcode at the airport with some airlines now, no need for printed tickets to lose - which I have done in the past (or have an angry ex-wife destroy them, necessitating a trip to the airline office in central london to get new ones in time)... etc etc.

You must remember we are essentially the early adopters - the first people to use this new technology. By the time my 5 year old son has to tax or insure a vehicle, or pay for parking , or whatever, it'll all be so very easy to use and reliable, and it will be so much easier for his generation when they are elderly because of it..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I always chuck change into the ashtray and coin holder for parking but very rarely need it - did yesterday for the first time this year.
Cleared it out when I had to abandon the car unlocked and there was £87+ there.
I think I would fail miserably to pay parking fees by phone.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, you make a good point, especially if we view ourselves as early adopters...

Whilst we are in that state though, I'd still like there to be a choice... A sort of parallel running...
Jim

chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

You can pay for the crossing in advance but alas, this requires knowing that!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

chinkostu wrote:You can pay for the crossing in advance but alas, this requires knowing that!
That should improve the market for crystal balls then....

Seriously, that shows someone thought about it... Good... I'd hazard that more often that not most crossers will know a while in advance if they are crossing...

Have any arrangement been made for frequent travellers; a new 'Dart Tag' sort of system?
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

All these river crossings and toll bridges etc should be abandoned. The very term road tax implies that the money raised should be used for roads, which should include bridges, tunnels etc.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I LOVE THE M6 TOLL BECAUSE THE POOR DON'T USE IT AND I CAN DO 130+ ALONG IT!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Northern_Mike wrote:I LOVE THE M6 TOLL BECAUSE THE POOR DON'T USE IT AND I CAN DO 130+ ALONG IT!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
And shout about it[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2