Getting the GS out again

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Getting the GS out again

Post by macplaxton »

I haven't started this car in aeons. Turns over okay. Off out to get some fresh petrol. If it starts I'm using it later. Needs must.

Q: Are the heads safe or am I venturing into a whole world of pain if a camshaft belt goes?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Getting the GS out again

Post by citronut »

the G engine is safe on cam belt failure Max,
i could not remember till a few years back when John Bradshaw and i went from the G rally at Tilford for about a 20 mile drive away, to try and get a G back up and running that Mark ( the owner ) had dropped a length of breather hose into the cam belts without realising,
on cranking it over it caused the belt/s to jump out of sink ( no not the kitchen sink ), then it would not start,

John assured me these engines are safe, on resetting it all she fired up and ran as she should,

if you require new belts and tensioners
i have just purchased a set of belts for i think £36 squid from AJAYS motor factors,
and although Chris Salter supplied the tensioners this time, they are still available from GSF for around£13 quid each, as opposed to ( i have heard ) someone that sells them for i think around £36 each
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

Thanks Malc,

Cambelts done before I bought it around 24k miles. Now around 46/48k, but 7 years have passed. :oops:

You see I was told off the other night for being a naughty boy driving my Volvo (the UK plate was red rag to a bull). So I need to keep a (relatively) low profile round the village :D

Haven't started the G since maybe last summer. Can't remember, but it has been parked up a year plus unfortunately outside. After doing a bit of driveway shuffling I managed to push the G from out of it's corner. Pushed another Volvo into it's place and parked up the other behind. Nicked the battery out of the Volvo which conviently is also a 063. Turned it over for about 3 x 30sec and gave up to find the spare can. Emptied the litre out of that and went out to the petrol station to grab other five.

Managed to turn it over a few more times and get it fired up, waited for quite a bit for the rise, but that went okay, then had to change the n/s headlamp bulb. Spent half an hour or so rummaging through papers to find the current insurance disc and current motor tax disc. Bought them last year with the intention of using the car sooner. Only 56 Euro so no big hassle. Filled it up with petrol and didn't have to put much air in the tyres, they keep well. Need it for work in a few hours.

Still have a grumbling n/s wheel bearing, a bit of clutch slip and a blowing Y-piece. Steering wheel has gone horrible in one place and probably need to get a fresh set of green bottles on.

And the wipers need looking at, however: Forecast - dry. 8-[

Time to start throwing money at this car...

Cheers!
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

Made it to work okay, let's see if it gets me back home shortly...
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

Made it back.

Y-piece on order - 47 yoyos delivered.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The only real PITA of these truly beguiling cars, the silly exhaust wending itself around the place with inaccessible joints and papier marche wall thicknesses plus the horrid preheat pipe to the carb on the air cleaner side. That said I ADORE these wonderful cars. Have you seen the front hub. it is a wheel bearing, there's nothing else to it and is art form in it's own right. The definition of low unsprung weight! That all said, I'd try and source the whole lot rather than try getting a separate bearing. Oh boy, I need a GS fix myself. Does it show? :P
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

andmcit wrote:Have you seen the front hub.
I have, bricked it, then I quickly put it back on the car! http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 25&t=45970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (was it really THAT long ago :oops: )
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I used to swap the driveshafts out and around with the hubs still attached on them as they were so small and lightweight when it came to fixing cv boots or swapping a noisy cv joint. I don't think I ever changed the actual bearing after owning over 30 G's as I never ever has issues with them!! Always the bottom balljoint or CV boot. IIRC the driveshaft diameter and the number of needle pins in the triaxes were all different but the hubs were always the same. It's going back a way too far for my liking
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

andmcit wrote: Oh boy, I need a GS fix myself. Does it show? :P
aaah is this why it seemed like you suggested you had no G'eeeeeez going in your clear out :roll: #-o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Unfortunately it looks likely I will need to let half a dozen GS/A go. It's going to kill me.
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

For the record, I've found a file on the computer. Last fuel up before getting out again was 10th Nov 2013. 18 months or so ago :oops: :oops: :oops: