John Peel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

John Peel

Post by tomsheppard »

Miles off topic apart from the fact that the late Mr. P was a great fan of '30s motor racing and knew his stuff but if you are near radio 4 at 12.30 today you would do well to listen to the Now Show for Mitch Benn's tribute.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Much missed. Those late nights diving up the motorway back in 1992 listening to half man half bisciut, the wedding pressent, new order and many, many more will be missed. changed my listening from the usual stuff to some great stuff.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Much missed<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Too right!!!!
I remember way back, about 1979/80, I think, when he did a gig at our local venue, the Paddock near Harpole on the A45 if anyone knows it.
At that time they used to put on some quite well known bands- I saw Crass there, UK decay, Bauhaus, to name a few.
Anyway, Peely did his show, talked to anyone who spoke to him, and everyone went on their way home.
Somehow, our mate Mick got seperated from us, we met up next day, and he told us that John Peel had given him a lift home in his Audi, going out of his way to do it-Top Bloke!!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Bauhaus. I was in a band back in 1981 and we did a cover of theirs. Some thing about the Virgin Mary being tired.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Much missed. Those late nights diving up the motorway back in 1992 listening to half man half bisciut, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ditto
Saw 1/2 Man 1/2 Biscuit in concert in Stockport a few years back - Peely "inducted me" over the airwaves late one night to their bizzare music - "There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro" How true!!!
Saw him (though never spoke to him) once over atteh Achademy in Manchester when i went to watch the Ozric Tentacles which was broadcast on R1. Amazing stuff, I suppose i would have still been listening to T'Pau and Dire Straits if it wasnt for him.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I have a far connection with Ozric Tentacles. A girl I was seeing many years ago, well her mom knew a woman who went to the same Church as her who's cousin was in the bad. Phew don't ask for names this was in the early 90's. Radio will never be the same. Too much of that there pop music for young un's.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have only just retired from live rock'n'roll- a BX is great for lugging the gear!!
I used an Alligator Amp at one point, green imitation alligator hide, with twin 12"'s in the front-it looked and sounded great, and out of curiosity I put it on the bathroom scales-6 stone!!!!
Pete Murphy of Baugaus, incidentally, before the TV ad money, used to turn up for gigs in an orange Datsun Cherry.