Carrying Petrol in cars.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Carrying Petrol in cars.

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

...One more for fun....
.Mecca, who already owned ballrooms and restaurants, opened their first and only service station at Trowell on the M1 in Nottinghamshire, in 1967. They preferred to call it a 'Village'. Mecca combined modern architecture with a fantasy Robin Hood theme. The visitor was greeted by two jousting knights in the foyer. Once inside the 'Village' he or she could dine at the 'Sheriff's Restaurant' or 'Marian's Pantry'...

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I understand the idea of this much planning for a journey you might repeat regularly, but once?! It's only 600 miles! Can't you just fill up when the car gets low, at the nearest station, regardless of price? It's only a few quid between the cheapest and priciest for a tankful.

My approach to a new journey: drive off; remember I forgot to check exactly where I'm going; check google maps at first traffic lights; stick postcode in satnav at second traffic lights; drive until hungry/low fuel/need wee; fill up (expensively)/empty as required; repeat, etc... must seem very cavalier..!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jodyone wrote:I understand the idea of this much planning for a journey you might repeat regularly, but once?! It's only 600 miles! Can't you just fill up when the car gets low, at the nearest station, regardless of price? It's only a few quid between the cheapest and priciest for a tankful.

My approach to a new journey: drive off; remember I forgot to check exactly where I'm going; check google maps at first traffic lights; stick postcode in satnav at second traffic lights; drive until hungry/low fuel/need wee; fill up (expensively)/empty as required; repeat, etc... must seem very cavalier..!
Wild man, just WILD !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jodyone wrote: My approach to a new journey: drive off; remember I forgot to check exactly where I'm going; check google maps at first traffic lights; stick postcode in satnav at second traffic lights; drive until hungry/low fuel/need wee; fill up (expensively)/empty as required; repeat, etc... must seem very cavalier..!
How dare you start a journey with so little planning!? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

My approach. Look at fuel gauge when I remember. Think "that'll do". Drive off. Ignore fuel light when it comes on, for at least 40 miles, 60 if it's raining hard. Stop, put fuel in, drive on. Probably get a Costa at the same time. KFC If I'm hungry and a long way to go. No chips though. Just chicken and coffee. Protein, some fat, and some caffeine.
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Stickyfinger wrote:Wild man, just WILD !
Oh, I know. I'm basically Keith Moon. I left the bit about cocaine and hookers out
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jodyone wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Wild man, just WILD !
I left the bit about cocaine and hookers out
I expect the C6 ride makes the usage of both easier..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On the contemplation of any journey, even the 6 miles to work, my OCD kicks in with a vengeance :twisted:

Everything checked, double checked and every eventuality catered for... Enough tools carried to do a major overhaul...

Even happens when I go for a ride on my bike...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Do you carry an emergency blanket (one of those foil things), winter biker trousers, sheepskin lined winter boots, very warm coat, hat, scarf, gloves and socks over the winter months like I do on my journey to work?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I do carry a blanket Mike!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I have a "winter kit" that I started carrying 18 years ago when I was a field engineer doing lots of miles. It's a big sportsbag with all that stuff in. Currently in the loft. I've needed it's contents precisely twice!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:I've needed it's contents precisely twice!
Always the way Mike. Had you not carried it you'd have needed it countless times...

I think my in-car toolkit has never been used on my own car but on any number of other cars in distress over the years...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Always the way Mike. Had you not carried it you'd have needed it countless times...

I think my in-car toolkit has never been used on my own car but on any number of other cars in distress over the years...
Oh god, I can only imagine what's going to be loaded on tuesday morning for the Paris trip!
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Just watch for the CAMERAS....do a Moon as you go by...http://english.controleradar.org/upper- ... ameras.php

Really, they are having a crack down on Red Triangles and Jackets ATM.....anybody want my French headlights before you go :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Oh god, I can only imagine what's going to be loaded on tuesday morning for the Paris trip!
All I can say is I've hired a fork-lift....
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Junction 21A M25, turn left at the roundabout 1/2 mile on there's a Shell station on the next roundabout, back down to M25 and continue the journey. There's a coffee place next to the service station, might be a Costa.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)