Hill Climb.............new season starts, Nr Salisbury Wilts

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Hill Climb.............new season starts, Nr Salisbury Wilts

Post by Stickyfinger »

This guys is a GREAT Day out......Bring your Activa :)

A new season of Speed Hillclimbing gets underway at Gurston Down, near Broad Chalke on April 18 and 19, with two packed championship events, a must for all local four-wheel and two-wheel motorsport enthusiasts.
On the Sunday motorbikes of the National Hillclimb Association will add to the variety of cars competing against the clock over the weekend on the dauntingly fast and twisty course.

On Saturday 18, the British Automobile Racing Club and the Hillclimb and Sprint Association hold rounds of their Speed Championships, with special classes for Westfields, TVRs, Classic Marques, Volvos and pre-War Austin 7s as well as the usual mix of production-based machines, sports racing cars and single seater racing cars.

On Sunday 19, the first round of the popular and well-subscribed Gates of Brockenhurst Gurston Down Hillclimb Championship and the BARC SW Top Ten Challenge will take place featuring all the usual classes, with supporting invitation classes for Austin Healeys, Triumph TRs, historic 500cc racing cars and Classic Marques. Adding to the regular mix of four-wheeled competition cars, the motorbikes from the National Hillclimb Association will is on Sunday 19.

Spectator access is unrivalled – you really can’t get closer to the action at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb. With excellent catering and refreshment outlets on site, there’s everything you need for a great value, exciting weekend of motorsport, all just a few minutes away from Salisbury and Wilton!

Gurston Down has been voted ‘Best British Hillclimb Championship event organiser’ a record nine times, and for the third year
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Hill Climb.............new season starts, Nr Salisbury W

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Theres a hillclimb at Chateau Impney Droitwich Spa 11th and 12th July this year. Came across it because H&H Auctions regularly hold their classic car sales there, and have one to co-incide with the event.

I guess there must be the tarmac sort of Hill Climb which the Chateau Impney, and Gurston Down events are, and then again the plough through Welsh Mud sort of hill climb, like this

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That's a "Trials" event mate....lots of OS at those...(old s##t)

The Gerrr....is one (Spa and LeMans) of the best true race tracks left in Europe...you smell it there and it vibrates your chest your that close....I urge you...if you can GO...its true to the hobby
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hillclimbing is the antithesis of F1, which I also love. It's utterly brilliant to watch all the cars being thrown up the hill as fast as they can go. I'm tempted to take Sam down to this to watch it, he'd love it. It's something I'd love a go at, if only I had more talent.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have run the Gerr hill a few times, it is very forgiving to the inexperienced numpty like me, very hard to get perfect, one of the reasons the club events like it so much. Good training all the way up thru the skill levels.

The sprog will NEVER stop talking about it, I promise :) or I will pay your petrol home.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:I have run the Gerr hill a few times, it is very forgiving to the inexperienced numpty like me, very hard to get perfect, one of the reasons the club events like it so much. Good training all the way up thru the skill levels.

The sprog will NEVER stop talking about it, I promise :) or I will pay your petrol home.
i thought about having a go when I had the Impreza, even got my non-race National B licence, then my missus had some health issues, and it got put to one side. Now they've changed the rules about helmets and overalls, and I'm not shelling out the money for kit I might only use once or twice. My single-layer overalls were sufficient before the rules changed.

The boy went to Santa Pod about this time last year. He's still talking about that!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep, my helmet and onesie cost a shocking amount, add boots , gloves, etc etc and the $$ mount up quick. New regs on belts ect are also very expensive.

Santa Pod is fantastic ....what sound and smells !..Run what ya Brung is so funny
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Is Wiscombe Park still going I wonder. .. many pleasant days there in Devon
I used to be a start line Marshall when young ;)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

http://www.wiscombepark.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice track, a little limited in speed but fun all the same.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There are some cracking roads down here, DIY hill climbs if you're game - but no marshals or ambulance if you get it wrong.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:There are some cracking roads down here, DIY hill climbs if you're game - but no marshals or ambulance if you get it wrong.
They're the best sort. Nothing like a bit of on-the-edge motorsport.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Unless like me, you stuff your Alpha Sud engined VW Beetle into a Rhododendron bush..........ummmm....made a mess of the bush :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider