Upgrading UK Driving Licence

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Upgrading UK Driving Licence

Post by Ben82 »

Hi,

With a move coming up later this year I'm thinking of upgrading my licence to either B+E or a C licence, so we can rent a trailer or van, and move all our stuff ourselves.

Does anyone know the process for this? is it something you need to have had a certain number of lessons? Do you need to turn up to the test centre with an appropriate vehicle etc?

Is it easy enough to do?

Thanks

:)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Upgrading UK Driving Licence

Post by citronut »

is this any use

https://www.gov.uk/adding-higher-catego ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

citronut wrote:is this any use

https://www.gov.uk/adding-higher-catego ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi malc, already looked at that. It doesn't really give much info on the process. Just really that you need to have a full B licence to be able to upgrade to either. But nothing really on the process of what else is required for doing the test etc :/

So it basically seems I am already entitled to be able to take the test for either B+E or C, but it doesn't really say much else about the process or what is required for taking the test it self.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Aha, found them

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/car- ... tical-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-dri ... iving-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure why they didn't link them on that page above... would have made it far easier.

So it seems like I would need to get to the test centre with the trailer or van, which will easily become a no really. As that'll mean the costs will build up and up. So might end up having to be a transit van, and going back and forth a few times.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

To obtain a C licence you need to undergo the hazard perception and theory test at an DSA approved centre then having passed that you can then undergo the practical test, however it'll be rather useful to undergo some lessons first if only to understand the reversing manoeuvring area. Do you require a full C licence or will a C1 do you (up to 3.5 tonnes)?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

DickieG wrote:To obtain a C licence you need to undergo the hazard perception and theory test at an DSA approved centre then having passed that you can then undergo the practical test, however it'll be rather useful to undergo some lessons first if only to understand the reversing manoeuvring area. Do you require a full C licence or will a C1 do you (up to 3.5 tonnes)?
Think it's the C1 that will suffice, but would mean I would need to hire the van for the test etc. I believe my licence will cover a regular transit van, which might be fine for us. Just means more trips back and forth. (about an hour round trip).
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I believe you should be ok for a Transit Jumbo on a C1 class Ben. I sincerely hope that's the case.... :O

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

looking round the swedish hiring sites it looks like one of these can be hired on a B licence: http://www.statoil.se/sv_SE/pg133407243 ... stbil.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which seems a bit weird to me... surely that size would need a C1?
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

A cat B licence let's you drive a van up to 3.5 ton gross. This should cover you in a LWB transit but probably not a jumbo or a Luton. I don't know what the test for a c1 licence, which allows up to 7.5 ton entails, I have that category cos I'm an old git. If you had to do hazard perception and theory and practical test for c1, then may as well go for a cat c which is a rigid lorry up to I think it's 26 tons. Best place to ask would be a driving school.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Max load 782 kg , about the same as a fart in a paper bag, carry 4 and your overloaded..
..geeze the new load ratings are getting nuts.....and that is the main control, weight, not size.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Max load 782 kg , about the same as a fart in a paper bag, carry 4 and your overloaded..
..geeze the new load ratings are getting nuts.....and that is the main control, weight, not size.
Yeah, hopefully won't be too much of an issue. We're moving from basically a 1 bedroom flat, and I should be able to calculate a lot of the weight as we have a fair amount of ikea stuff. No huge white appliances to move either.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I sell Cast Iron Radiators, the old style.....heavy !

Vans like that are pointless for me these days as the loads are so small. I can overload that with ONE Euro Pallet.

...Ok for you however as you need volume.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wouldnt it be easier/cheaper to

http://www.hirevanplus.com/van-and-a-ma ... tAodzwcAvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if its only a one off job you require the license for?????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Ben82 wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Max load 782 kg , about the same as a fart in a paper bag, carry 4 and your overloaded..
Yeah, hopefully won't be too much of an issue. We're moving from basically a 1 bedroom flat, and I should be able to calculate a lot of the weight as we have a fair amount of ikea stuff. No huge white appliances to move either.
We moved all our stuff from our one bed flat including washing machine I two trips with a transit Jumbo.

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Ben82 wrote:
We moved all our stuff from our one bed flat including washing machine I two trips with a transit Jumbo.

Thanks Mike, thats good to hear.

Malc, man with a van is a good idea, not sure how popular it is over here though. Hopefully we can do something in 1-2 trips, as we are moving only about half hour away.