these tuning boxes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

these tuning boxes

Post by drpau »

Ive been thinking about these tuning boxes, they claim to give you upto 115bhp and however many nm of torque, they do this by dumping in more fuel, but not increasing the boost on the turbo, whereas a company like upsolute who do a chip reprogram increase fuelling and turbo boost but still get round about the same figures. Why is this? Another question is, why dont the tuning boxes end up in a cloud of black smoke trailing behind if all they are doing is increasing the fueling?
hmmmm[:o)]
cheers
Paul
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dunno - but my Dragon works a treatwith bags more OOOMPH and no smoke.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Dunno - but my Dragon works a treatwith bags more OOOMPH and no smoke.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
thats what I was thinking Marty, if theres no smoke then the boost on the turbo must be being inreased otherwise surely you would get more smoke? they all seem to say that they dont increase boost pressure.
There have been quite a few on ebay lately, there is also a dude on there selling serial uploads for Xsara picasso's they were going for about £180. I asked him how much for a normal Xsara and he said £250. Then I saw one of his auctions was coming to an end and so I emailed and asked if I could bid and he told me that i couldnt as it was a specail promo for the Picasso and if I wanted to do mine it would be £280 at my house ( he mustnt have realised it was me who he had told £250 to)! Just pulling random prices out of the air! I emailed him back and said he had a deal if he took £250 and came to my house to do it (not to far)and got no response! he could have at least told me to fcuk orf! He has been selling the picasso reprogram for £100 on 'buy it now' ober the past week!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

here we go, heres one of his non £100 promos (these ones start at £180), for every car under the sun with the hdi except the xsara and xantia,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Snake oil, guys. Be careful out there!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Snake oil, guys. Be careful out there!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
the guy seems to have good feedback so I dont think hes *that* dodgy, just didnt like his national lottery of prices- one minute its 250 then its 280. If I did get it done I would rather pay an extra £25 and have a well established company with good backup like Upsolute do the reprogram, just for piece of mind.
A better way of increasing power would be an intercooler- Im sure my insurers would frown on this more than they do on the reprogram which is a shame as this would put less strain on the engine.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the guy seems to have good feedback so I dont think hes *that* dodgy<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But who is the feedback from? could be his mates, wife, brother, cousin, his own other e-mail accounts, his dog,.........who knows?
Rule one when selling on ebay is to get your mates to ramp up the price with "bids" and wonderful feedback- ask him for a few satisfied customers round your way who will be able to demonstrate that it works!!!
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Some good points there Bxbodger, I am beginning to wonder a bit about e-bay, there have been several threads here warning of scams, car dealers masquerading as private sellers, bid fixing, feedback enhancement etc, has e-bay grown to the point where it is now out of control? We have just tried to auction a load of stuff and the only items that we managed to "sell" turned out to be people who said that their, son, daughter, old uncle tom cobbly and all had pressed the Bid button by mistake, strange that, I have to enter my password and press at least one confirm button to register a bid [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)].
Now this story is admittedly secondhand from a mate of mine and if true is very worrying.
A friend of his bid ?8k for a Harley (don't even go there [:D]), the alleged seller had contacted e-bay after one of his friends had noticed the bike for sale, the guy didn't have a harley for sale or otherwise, e-bay apparently did nothing, the auction ended and the ?8k like the bike vanished into thin air, apparently the sellers account had been hi-jacked. Now I know that for that sort of money I would probably have used one of the escrow services, but it appears that there are several issues about account security and the way e-bay reacts to these problems as they had been notified of the problem before the auction closed but had done nothing.
With the amount it costs to sell stuff it makes you wonder why people offer cars for sale there rather than through auto trader (greed perhaps [}:)] ), although I see several of the people on this board have successfully bought cars.
Pete
________
Fifth-generation ford taurus
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

For more on ebay car buying, see todays Telegraph motoring section. It more or less confirms the above, and also tells us about Kylie Minogue's muffin.......
It's only human nature to ramp the price up with a few dodgy "bids"-people I know who do a lot of ebay buying and selling do it all the time.
I think the key to sucsessful ebay car buying is to only buy locally-that way you can at least go and kick the tyres and run the motor, and make an offer then and there if you want it-cash talks louder than keyboards!!!
I can't see the point on bidding on something miles and miles away, winning the auction, and then finding out its not what was described.
Don't get me wrong, I love browsing it, but there's no way I would bid on anything that I couldn't go round and see within half an hour.
I have never had any bother selling a car just by parking it up by the main road and putting a notice in the window.Cars tend to go on ebay if the local free ads and a for sale sign haven't shifted them, and there's usually a good reason why....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Good point well made, Bodger. I have tried to buy on Ebay and while cameras were a good deal five years ago, there is the same kind of chicanery now as with cars. When you consider the shadier end of the used car trade (Vermin with insufficient moral fibre to be estate agents) it is not surprising that you can get burnt. I went to view a CX estate
last week that was supposed to be good. The guy had loads of old wrecks lying around, big jump start pack and had had this car biodegrading for years on his lawn. To be fair to the car it did start. (ok, not first time but that was probably due to somebody replacing the advertised fuel injection engine with an original looking carburettor one!)
It rose, too. On four flat spheres. "The suspension's good, see.."
A little rust around the battery box was confined to a radius of around four feet and the doors were completely rotten. "Why did you come to look at it if you wasn't going to buy it?"
"Because I'm a psychopath and I like to meet real life scumbags then come back some time later and burn down their houses - goodbye."
There's said to be one in every village. I'm a Townie.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And how many of the cars advertised on ebay don't appear to have a V5?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Ok
I give up