Old cars - love em or hate em?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

erm...meant "equivalent"
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Old cars are the love and hate relationship....now on that subject anybody got an ATE Mastercylinder that will fit my Pug 504?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Well I have owned in my time
1929 Riley 9 Monaco
1946 Rover 16
1968 Lotus Elan S3
1951 Rover 75
and lots more recent cars.
Whilst they were all enjoyable, I would never have another old car.
I've got the space - 3 garage spaces plus yard for 20+, but not the inclination. Points/grease nipples and carp designs. And don't talk to me about replacing rubber cones on Minis.
Done all that never again..
Old cars are - imo - a complete waste of space. And Citroen managed to produce some that were bad new..let alone old..:-)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Hahhhh Bumhug (or is that Bahhhh Humbug?)
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by madasafish</i>

Old cars are - imo - a complete waste of space. And Citroen managed to produce some that were bad new..let alone old..:-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
you must be buying the wrong old cars then..
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Did i mention i got a tug off the police yesterday? in the ZX which no longer has a 42 on the bonnet i will have you know.
Pulled me over because my car was (according to the DVLA wonderbrain SORNed - which it has never been in at least 5 or 6 years) - when i asked the (very very very) young policelady why she had sat behind me patiently for several miles and run the numberplate she replied "well it does look rather rough you car doesnt it sir!"
Thanks love!
Citroens, nice, quirky and made out of tinfoil!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

And just to think Marty, I have one you could buy where the respose would have been...."Just wanted to compliment you on such a well kept car sir"!
David
beezer

Post by beezer »

Well she is obviously a very astute young lady because your car IS as rough as a badger's bum. Wonder how come she is so familiar with such things?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Being soft in the head i had to have a bid on this.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 58376&rd=1
little yellow (all right lime green) van! Come to take me away!
Yes, i was probably as surprised as the police woman that she could find nothing wrong with the car - though she didnt jack up the rear!
Nice try David, Im still not buying another one! Wannna AX.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good work Marty,
Bring the Acadiane round, we'll soon have a GSA 1300cc engine and 5 speed box in there for you.
(Note: Acadiane has much stronger chassis than 2cv/Dyane etc, plus has non-interconnected Ami Super springs, ideal for GS conversion!!)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dunno if i will win it Jon, only a limit to my budget for buying daft off the wall things! Looks like it needs some bodywork and probably a repaint too as well as the headlamp surrounds - but looks fun!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I love old cars, could have cried when i sold my first car- a dieing Renualt 19 Phase 2 RL Prima. Love the character you get from old cars.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mattpc</i>

I love old cars, could have cried when i sold my first car- a dieing Renualt 19 Phase 2 RL Prima. Love the character you get from old cars.
Ah, but what <b>is</b> an old car? All things are relative.
One that is not new?
One that is older then your car?
One more than xx years old?
How do our members define the term 'old car'?
Who knows?
[?] What is 'dieing'? [?]
PS I am one of the characters you get from old cars!! [}:)][;)]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>
Ah, but what <b>is</b> an old car? All things are relative.
One that is not new?
One that is older then your car?
One more than xx years old?
How do our members define the term 'old car'?
According to one or two people I know, a car is 'old' when it's old enough to need an MOT, or has more than 40k on the clock [:0]
To me a car is only old when it's older than I am, so your DS fits into that category - just [;)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">According to one or two people I know, a car is 'old' when it's old enough to need an MOT, or has more than 40k on the clock
Wife's Dyane only became old last week, then, as it passed 40,000 for the first time round.[:)]