Top gear

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Top gear

Post by Northern_Mike »

At least I've got F1 to annoy the missus with..

Vorsprung berk Technik
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My son recons there is so much about it on social media that it will be reinstated pretty sharply. Yes, JC is a (-expletive removed-) but most of the time it's good entertainment. Nothing much about cars really, unless they do 0-60 in about 5 seconds or more than 150 mph!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote: Nothing much about cars really, unless they do 0-60 in about 5 seconds or more than 150 mph!
Do you want to see normal cars though? I don't... I get no entertainment at all from watching a test drive of a Focus or such like. I can walk into my dealer and test drive one myself and make my own opinion of it.

Men or women being silly in fast cars (or slow ones) suits me just fine.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

At a push a rs or vxr or gti but rather would watch high power stuff ripping their tyres off or last week's huge yank tank pick ups in the mountains!

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote:At a push a rs or vxr or gti but rather would watch high power stuff ripping their tyres off or last week's huge yank tank pick ups in the mountains!
Exactly.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

the guy is and always has been a nob !, and nob jokes get "unfunny" in cycles. I had hoped based on last week, that Mr nob was being a little bit careful.

Maybe a grown man should have more control even if the bloke he smacked was getting on his nerves.? I cannot see JC having to "defend himself" against a BBC producer type.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well he has now been suspended!

Apparently the next two episodes have been cancelled!

Also apparently the filming of the rest of the current series is reported as to be in doubt!

This was the top story on the BBC lunchtime news at one today.

So on that "b*mbshell" what happens next?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Maybe they will fill the slot with Top Gear USA or Top Gear Australia.

They have shown both of these in the past on BBC3.
ACTIVA

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

A few things to note here -

1. IF I punched someone at work, I'd be sacked and possibly under investigation for assault.

2. The BBC have made this fuss themselves by announcing it. Seeing as I presume they've already paid a hefty sum to have the shows made (that's of our money) and it's the most popular thing on BBC2, it should have been kept quiet, investigated internally, the last few shows of the series shown - Perhaps minus the bits recorded in the week prior to airing and no one would be much the wiser. The matter could be investigated internally, any appropriate action could he taken against Clarkson - IF he is guilty, or the whole thing could go away quietly if not.

As it is, the poor bloke has been hung, drawn and quartered already by those who feel they simply have to be offended by something - those who likely have never watched Top Gear because it's nasty noisy cars polluting our planet and killing our children etc etc..

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Vorsprung berk Technik
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote: I cannot see JC having to "defend himself" against a BBC producer type.
I bet you could see why he might want to give one a slap though eh?

Vorsprung berk Technik
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

As far as I can see, he has been subject to a witch hunt for a few years now. Ok, he has brought a lot of it on himself, but the BBC must take some blame also. The show is recorded, so they could easily edit out the so called racist jibes. Anyway what is racist anyway. If you call someone from Pakistan a Paki then your racist. If you call an Australian an Aussie are you racist? I'm from Scotland so call me a Scot and are you racist? I don't know and I don't care. It's all political correctness gone mad. As someone said this could have and should have been dealt with in private between Clarkson and his employers. He is still a nob though[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The_Hairdresser wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote: I cannot see JC having to "defend himself" against a BBC producer type.
I bet you could see why he might want to give one a slap though eh?

Vorsprung berk Technik
On I can, horrid little arti-farty types who hope to live in Hampstead and invent another up arse looking Mums-Net, but they can windge and moan and have both the HR Dept (the BBC one must be very "Special") and the Law behind them.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am getting really fed up with the "Political Correctness" brigade. When JC was being called racist (for the Subaru/Toyota test) he did NOT say the word in question, and the episode that was broadcast used the word 'Teacher' in place of the relevant word. If you also were to believe what he said (I have no cause to think he lied) on the apology video, he checked all three takes, and in 1 the 'N' sound MIGHT be interpreted as the word in question. He also goes on to say that when he heard this, he did all he could to ensure this was not broadcast (and it was not). However, some small minded self satisfied GIT leaked this, and the BBC should find out who this GIT is, and fire them (with extreme prejudice) for bringing the BBC into disrepute (as well as JC). Now JC is accused of doing something else (and he may have done it), but until this has been investigated it should not have been brought to the public attention.
Lord Reynard was accused of something sexual. The Metropolitan Police found there was insufficient evidence to proceed, but the Liberal Democrat party decided to pursue the matter further. They could not find sufficient evidence either, but they still asked him to apologise. He rightly rejected this (as he felt that this would incriminate him), so the Lib-Dems nailed him for bringing the party into disrepute. I understood that in English law a man is 'Presumed Innocent Until Proven Guilty'. Unfortunately the BBC and the Lib-Dems don't believe that this applies to them.
This next bit will cause problems for anybody who does not read it carefully, or is prepared to be offended, but it is factual, it can be proven, and it should not cause this forum any legal issues. What was the name of Guy Gibsons' (of 617 Squadron fame) black Labrador dog? Nigger. As the film 'The Dam Busters' gets broadcast regularly I wonder how long it will be before the PC brigade demand that Nigger is renamed to something less offensive, even though it is factually and historically accurate?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

They already have, they faded the word and inserted another name when shown on BBC (at the time of the anniversary)....there was a lot of jokes about a while back.
HBO in the states did it as well.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well looking around to get some more info on this I found the following.....

James May has called it a "bit of a dust up!"

This Sunday's episode was set to feature the trio - Clarkson with Hammond and May - getting to grips with classic cars such as a Fiat 124 Spider, an MGB GT and a Peugeot 304 Cabriolet.

Here's the info............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ducer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACTIVA