dash cams input please

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

dash cams input please

Post by citronut »

im thinking of purchasing one,
firstly
not a huge budget

secondly
would prefer one that has maybe one camera on the device and a remote one for the rear end of the car,

thirdly
what record time capabilities,

forthly
what format would the likes of the Police, insurance company require the data in????

anyone had experience of these,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: dash cams input please

Post by elma »

Quality is important, reg number isn't always enough. Ideally you need the other drivers face in an accident as they will claim they weren't driving so you can't claim against them. Very wise thing to have with the way insurance works, format not important at all but the best cameras use a Sony or sharp sensor and are CCD type. The cameras loop the file round the memory card so record constantly and you just pull out the card after an event. My favourite way to install them is to get the cameras and recorder seperatly as the cameras are far more discreet. There's a lot of choice on Amazon and it took me some time to choose the right package when I put them in my old van.
Watch out for cheap Chinese junk that claims to have Sony or sharp CCD sensor, it doesn't.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hellrazor James has a decent little one.

Vorsprung berk Technik
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I (and my mother) have 0801 dash cams (after my mother had a head on accident). I got the one with 8GB RAM and GPS built into the mount. I also fitted them both with 32GB cards, which will massively increase the amount of recording time.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/ ... creen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Dash-Ca ... 2594e88388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are legal to use (I checked on the Internet), as the police use them. Cabbies have to be a bit careful (breach of privacy), so what they do is to clearly display a sign that says that there is recording equipment active at all times. You can get ones that have 2 cameras, one pointing forward, the other pointing backwards, but I didn't look into those, as I didn't have this need. Mine does also record sound.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 07 Mar 2015, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Watching with interest - seeing far too many crazy bits of driving and know eventually it will catch me out!

My planned "modifications" include a button to nuke the camera with a huge current if I am at fault, and telltale LEDs in the line of sight to show operation of left blinker, right blinker, brake pedal and throttle in case anyone made a claim that related to my signalling or braking (eg, collisions at roundabouts and intersections).
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

My van had a recorder box like this and cameras like this. I also had a screen as the system started off as a reversing camera before recording sounded like a good idea. It was a lot cheaper when I did it, the recorder bit is double what I paid but mine was a 2 channel. They do these bluetooth systems to turn the cameras slightly wireless, I never tried one so no idea how well they work.

The reasons I favour this system over the all in one camera recorders is that it doesn't take up windscreen space and the cameras can be chosen to mount discreetly on the car. I prefer the idea of not telling my insurance company I have cameras and only submitting the footage if it is favourable so discreet is good.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Watching with interest

Smart Phone App.
I was looking at : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_GB

Samsungs' camera if very good but I wonder about "night vision" and that's 50% of the time.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have my dash cam mounted up behind the rear view mirror so that it does not distract me. It came with a very long power cable (3M, IIRC), so I was able to run it around the windscreen. It is less than 3" by 2", so it is easy to hide. Malcolm, if you haven't got one before we next meet I will let you have a good look at it, and I will dig out the instruction booklet.

The night vision is pretty good, and (as each CCD cell is a separate component) you might get the reg of an oncoming vehicle if your headlights illuminate it. You might be dazzled, as are the parts of the CCD directly affected by the headlights, but the others are not.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
K-Pug
My Cars: Quite a few RWD Peugeots

Post by K-Pug »

Another watching with interest, I've also been contemplating getting one of these.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm curious too but I do like to go fast, and I wonder if I'd get myself in bother.

Vorsprung berk Technik
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

The_Hairdresser wrote:I'm curious too but I do like to go fast, and I wonder if I'd get myself in bother.

Vorsprung berk Technik

:yikes: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
The_Hairdresser wrote:I'm curious too but I do like to go fast, and I wonder if I'd get myself in bother.
Imagine the following court scene;

"Mr. Pearson, it appears from your footage that only one minute before the fatal accident, you were doing 95mph. So, it can be said, can it not, that you do drive above the speed limit sometimes?"...

Even if I'd just come off a motorway and was doing 25 in a 30, when the accident occured, all it takes is some old biddy witness to say "the gold van came round the corner much too fast"...

Vorsprung berk Technik
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 08 Mar 2015, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I have no idea personally, but the Wirecutter did a thorough overview here:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

US-centric, but they're pretty good for techy stuff, a kind of meta-analysis of other reviews. I often get whatever they suggest, unless I know much better.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Vorsprung berk Technik
You can get a version of the 0801 without GPS in the mount. That would remove that problem;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smallest-Mini ... 20e6f5cd9e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Dash Cam Comparison page: https://dashcamtalk.com/
Last edited by VertVega on 11 Mar 2015, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual