The Motor Show

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

The Motor Show

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Anyone have any memories of going to the Motor Show at Earl's Court in their youth, or for those whose youth was after 1978 at the NEC in Birmingham :)

I think it was October 1971 when we went to the motor show because the new Range Rover was one of the cars I remember thinking I'd like one of those! Probably not an obvious choice, with much more exotic, luxurious and sporty cars on display.

My only other visit to the motor show was a bus trip to the NEC, which did co-incide with the "Allegro's got vroom!" ad campaign must have been around 1980.

There are some interesting short video clips from British Pathe of old motor-shows which may stir some memories. This is the "1962" treatment.

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Jan 2021, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: The Motor Show

Post by jgra1 »

good to see Neil..
I must remember using the umbrella for checking underneath :)

I wasn't around then, but nice to see a lot of cars I had something to do with, a fair bit later, when working for a classic car dealer as a teen
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think I may haver gone to one of the last Earl's Court ones in 1976 and remember the new MK IV Cortina being the star of the show... Ruler -straight lines and all.

I next went there in 1977 but for a different reason - to see Pink Floyd...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

This is an Irish one, described as "A real headturner in everyday use", a 2.0L Ghia for £3,200

and an "orange" one with a vinyl roof just for fun

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love the orange one... I must say the styling has stood the test of time rather well. Better I dare say than its successor...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

About 1971, forsaking my mechanical engineering apprenticeship for 'an office job' I started work in the sales office of Lancia UK in Alperton. For the next 4 or 5 years I was on the stand at the motor show handling sales enquiries etc. That's when I wasn't in the exhibitors lounge or dining out on expenses!
Far too many memories to list today but one I'll always remember was the year we were next to the Daf stand. A popular TV series at the time featured a Dutch detective called Vandervalk and the signature tune was played continually on a loop the entire 2 weeks of the show, annoying or what!
Discovered a lot about cars and human nature at those shows. The seats on all the cars on the Ford stand had to be replaced every morning as the adjustment mechanisms had worn out with a days use, and everything on a car that could be removed would be missing by the end of the day, gear knobs, ash trays, cigarette lighters, head rests, heater control knobs etc etc. When the show went to Birmingham London still had a dealership manned event called Motorfair and I did a few of those on the VW stand.The Peugeot stand was next to us one year and this was the year they had introduced a 16 valve model called an M16. On the last day of the show someone stole the 16 valve cylinder head!!! It was thought that the culprit had done the job bit by bit over the few weeks.
Those were the days.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Van Der Valk.. I remember it well, and the theme tune, Eye Level by the Simon Park Orchestra.... It went to N0. 1 in the UK singles chart in 1973...

Nicking a 16V Cylinder Head from an MI16 - That's a class act =D> :-D 8-) Love to know how they did it...

Thanks for the memories Paul and Neil although I must confess 1973 was less about cars and much more about lusting after the daughter of the owner of the TV repair shop I worked in at weekends 8-)

Shame was she was way out of my league :(
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

isisalar wrote: Far too many memories to list today but one I'll always remember was the year we were next to the Daf stand. A popular TV series at the time featured a Dutch detective called Vandervalk and the signature tune was played continually on a loop the entire 2 weeks of the show, annoying or what!
Here's 4 minutes and 18 seconds from the 1973 Motor Show, with the Vandervalk signature tune in the background just to take you back! There's even a shot of the DAF stand!

This article on Piston Heads "The British Motor Show 1967-Time for Tea" links to the Pathe 1967 film, and delivers a nice gentle dig at the script!

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Sep 2019, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I din't remember the year, but the last Motor Show I visited had PSA promoting their research into what became the HDI engine, and various auto-electrical concerns showcasing the future of lighting - LEDs and HID headlights!
Was it the same show where Jeremy Clarkson was showing off the Xantia Activa?
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I couldn't resist having a look at that, thanks newcastlefalcon, I just hope I can shake off the tune now I've heard it again. I'd almost forgotten the girls, draped over the bonnets on opening day looking lovely, they were a permanent feature on a BMW motorfair stand I was on in the 80's, wearing their M style jump suits and very little else.
When I moved from Lancia to one of their dealerships which specialized in used sports cars a few years later most of those cars featured passed through my hands at one time or another, loved the bit about the beastly foreign cars making up 30% of the market.
I was often given MGB's to drive back then and once or twice had the V8 to play with. More than once I had people driving cars that could easily outrun a normal B flash me out of the way on the motorway only to suffer severe embarrassment as they saw me disappear into the distance.
The memories are flooding back but I must get to work.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:I just hope I can shake off the tune now I've heard it again..
I can't shake it off and it's still rattling round in my head :twisted:
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Imagine hearing it for 2 weeks solid!
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:Imagine hearing it for 2 weeks solid!
You were very brave Paul. I admire your resilience...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Part of the Foreign Invasion at the 1973 motor show was this. Very probably the first ever posting of a Moskovitch on the French Car Forum!
Having to pay extra for the radio would have put me off, but I do like the tatty info on the windscreen! The quality is not that good (the picture I mean).

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Very probably the first ever posting of a Moskovitch on the French Car Forum!
Very possibly :lol: Now they took the statement "Truly awful..." to an entirely new dimension...
Jim