206 1.1 HFX coolant capacity?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

panther4674

206 1.1 HFX coolant capacity?

Post by panther4674 »

Does anyone know the correct coolant capacity for a 2005 Peugeot 206 1.1 sport. It's the HFX TU1JP but I'm getting conflicting results from entering the reg on various parts sites. According to autodata it's 5.5lts for the HFX and 7lts for the HFY & HFZ so thought I'd check. I've just done the headgasket (oil leak) and given the rad & heater matrix a good flush and will also flush the block ready to add a 50/50 mix.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 206 1.1 HFX coolant capacity?

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :-D

I never worry too much about the capacity..

I pre-mix the coolant 40:60 (anti-freeze: water) and fill as necessary...

Reminds me, I need to do the same job on my daugter's 207 this year for exactly the same reason...

All TU engines leak from there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

Cheers Jim, I'll go with that one.
Yes I read up about the head oil leak problem and seems very common with these lumps. Think this one's also dribbling from around the sump area but I'll get the top end done first and look at that later. Not worked on these cars before and was a bit worried about disturbing the liners when taking off head but it came off easy and made sure crank was locked so hopefully it'll be ok. Fitted new cambelt/tensioner & w/pump & adjusted valves. Just to check I've still got compression I turned the engine over with a socket on the crank and gauge is showing 30psi from each cyl by slowly turning by hand but will check again on the starter when it's all back together.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All should be OK as it sounds like you were very careful... The TU is a tough old engine..

Compression is checked on the starter with a well charged battery and the throttle wide-open..

30 psi whilst turning the crank slowly sounds about right to me..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know you did not mention dropped liners but i thought i'd add this anyway
usually only find the liners drop if the engine had been severely cooked/overheated, otherwise they can usually cope with the usually head gasket replacement, as you say as long as you dont let the liners move whilst lifting the head away, you are meant to break the gasket to head joint by swinging the head on its length, rather than lifting it up and away,

you will almost certainly find the sump joint is ok, and it was just the oil leaking at the head joint running down and along the sump joint
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It used to be 3 litres of coolant for a petrol engine and 4 for a diesel, I tended to stick to this with most.

Total capacity for the 8v TU units is about 7 litres.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

Thanks guys.
Looks like they did a few variations of this model so just to be sure and as I'll be filling from a clean flushed out system I think Jims method of pre-mix 40/60 should see it right. As a heads-up to anyone thinking of buying some concentrated red antifreeze from eurocarparts, even if you need 5ltrs it's cheaper to buy them in 1ltr bottles! (£16.99 for a 5ltr tub & £2.76 x 1ltr).

I've just purchased an exhaust manifold gasket fo fit which is a one piece sheet metal. Around the port holes one side is concave and the other side is domed shaped. Looks like a compressible gasket and the domed section will flatten out when it's bolted up. Anyone know which way round these are fitted. I'm guessing that the domed side faces the manifold and the concave side to the head but not exactly sure.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

panther4674 wrote: As a heads-up to anyone thinking of buying some concentrated red antifreeze from eurocarparts, even if you need 5ltrs it's cheaper to buy them in 1ltr bottles! (£16.99 for a 5ltr tub & £2.76 x 1ltr).
you can be sure that bunch are not concentrating there profits :evil:
panther4674 wrote: I've just purchased an exhaust manifold gasket fo fit which is a one piece sheet metal. Around the port holes one side is concave and the other side is domed shaped. Looks like a compressible gasket and the domed section will flatten out when it's bolted up. Anyone know which way round these are fitted. I'm guessing that the domed side faces the manifold and the concave side to the head but not exactly sure.
yep i think you are correct there, thats the way i would fit it
Regards, malcolm.

panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

Well I've got it back together. Compression is reading 160psi on the starter with fully charged battery. It started 1st turn of the key but I was a bit worried as when I blipped the throttle it's making a metallic rattle sound but have pinpointed the problem to the alternator drive belt automatic tensioner is catching the engine mount plate that bolts to the side of the block - will look at that later. Only other fault I can see so far is that the check engine light is now staying on. I'm hoping it's a case of forgetting to connect something but it got too dark to check. Failing that I'll see if my local mechanic has the software to read whatever is causing the light to stay lit.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news :-D =D>

I know what you mean about strange noises on startup.. We had it on a 407 last weekend after I'd replaced the cambelt and water pump...

That turned out to be the auxiliary belt tensioner too...

You may need to run a Pug Planet over the car to find the cause of the EML being on. There's a list of members with Lexia/PP diagnostics in the Supersticky area of the forum who are happy to do the necessary...

I'm sure you'll find one nearby...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

panther4674 wrote: but I was a bit worried as when I blipped the throttle it's making a metallic rattle sound but have pinpointed the problem to the alternator drive belt automatic tensioner is catching the engine mount plate that bolts to the side of the block
i have seen in the past were the aux belt tenssioner was clattering against the cam belt cover, on the likes of the XUD and HDI's,
this was down to the belt being toooooo tight
Regards, malcolm.

panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

I'll have another look at it monday and double check I've plugged everything back in. The original drive belt auto tensioner pulley was very wobbely so I replaced it and also a new belt. The old belt was a goodyear brand with a size of 1547mm stamped on it. I looked up the specs based on the vin number and the belt size should be 1560 which is the one I got. The auto tensioner is ever so slightly just chattering against the engine mount bracket when you first blip the throttle. The car is still jacked up on the drivers side so I'm just wondering if that could cause it - will have a look on monday & also check out the members list for PP. Cheers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you checked on service citroen for the belt size or checked somewhere else,

if not service citroen and you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the correct size specific to your chassis/ VIN No.
Regards, malcolm.

panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

citronut wrote:have you checked on service citroen for the belt size or checked somewhere else,

if not service citroen and you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the correct size specific to your chassis/ VIN No.
Thanks mate, I'll be back home tomorrow and will get you the vin number. I registered on the peugeot service box site which said it was 1560mm but will be grateful if you can check to make sure. ECP list various sizes depending on aircon & p/s which this motor has. It lists two for this spec car, 1560mm if the car is dated to 04/2005 and also lists a 1564mm if it's dated from 04/2005. Although I got the one advertised as 1560, it's a Dayco belt and it's actually marked on the packet & belt as 1558mm.
panther4674

Post by panther4674 »

Hi mate, the last 8 digits are: 44537135. Cheers