ZX aura td '91 handling/braking ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimbolaya
My Cars:

ZX aura td '91 handling/braking ???

Post by jimbolaya »

Any ideas for a shudder on braking - front discs and pads are fine( I think!), although havent had back brakes checked for a while , tyres are newish wheels are balanced , Could it be tracking or track rod ends.
Also when going over uneven roads the wheels are all over the shop! shuddering etc.
Could this be shock absorber problems or associated. I have had a new nr side cv joint and a new offside driveshaft , so that should be ok . HELP????[?]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi (?)
Tracking adjustment will not cause a shudder. Play anywhere in the steering, such as track rod ends, will, but it is more likely to be triggered when a wheel hits a pothole, than when you brake.
I would be inclined to check for play anywhere on the suspension, and check the front discs for run-out; you don't need much to cause a shudder that can be felt on the brake pedal.
If/when you fit discs, ensure that the disc and hub faces are scrupulously clean.
HTH
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

Thanks for advice , I have had a butchers thru forum and see that droplinks are mentioned, so I spose they will need checking any one else got any detailed explanations ?
JIM
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

When i bought my Aura Td it shuddered when i braked after checking suspension not finding anything wrong with it. i found that she suddered more on the nearside and the sudder got worse the harder i braked in the end i replaced both front discs and pads and the shudder went away. the parts didn't cost me alot at time (about a year ago), try that or u could get a garge to check to see if your brakes are warped.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have a very good look at all the joints and bushes on the track control arm (track control arm) If these are worn the wheel will move backwards on braking and the track rod/rack will alter the tracking to toe-in and may show up as a heavy shudder.
I remember my father nearly loosing control of a Ford Corsair on braking. Frightening at the time and makes you think something really serious is wrong! The suspension on that car was mcpherson strut with the wheel location by the anti-roll bar and apparently what would happen is that the rubber bushes on the anti-roll bar would wear and the tracking would go beserk on braking.
If the wear is on the outer ball joint there may well be clonking over bumps.
Jeremy