Channel4 Dispatches The Great Car Con

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Channel4 Dispatches The Great Car Con

Post by MikeT »

Some good posts and yes, I felt it was sensationalist over-egging and fear-mongering but I also came away with the impression that NOX is now the new villain we should be tackling. ie, vehicle legislation to force manufacturers to publish NOX emissions and further taxes and restrictions on diesel engines to make them less desirable/affordable.

If that's the case, I'm concerned my intention to "invest" in a C5r diesel could prove to be a more expensive choice in the not-to-distant-future. I guess most of you don't agree? I've checked the choice of petrol engines and I'm not impressed.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Channel4 Dispatches The Great Car Con

Post by spider »

MikeT wrote:If that's the case, I'm concerned my intention to "invest" in a C5r diesel could prove to be a more expensive choice in the not-to-distant-future. I guess most of you don't agree? I've checked the choice of petrol engines and I'm not impressed.
I think (V6 excepted) generally they put more 'flair' into the diesel units as they always have done compared to the petrol units. Its been this way for ages though, think back to say the 'suitcase' engine in the early 205 / 305 (I think) and the early XU petrols compared to an XUD / XUDT, there is no real comparison in my opinion. The derv units are far nicer all around in most cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG