should this 308hdi be rejected.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

should this 308hdi be rejected.

Post by elma »

So the car is a 14 plate 308 1.6hdi. It was bought 1 week ago on 4k and has broken down 3 times with dpf fault. I noticed when it was shown to me that the coolant, which is blue stuff, is very grey. Like old abused car grey. The cars gone back to Peugeot who say the dpf only is regenerating 75% causing the problems and have manually cleaned it. They have also updated the software. They say modern cars turn the coolant grey and had its nothing to worry about.
My opinion differs, I think they are lying to dad and bodging the new car, what does it sound like to you? I say bodging as this car has a gazillion point inspection and all the latest updates prior to purchase so why does it all need sorting 85 miles later?
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Re: should this 308hdi be rejected.

Post by Fake Concern »

I remembered reading an Honest John post about grey water & this may be it

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=91364

I have to agree with you that if the car had really had a proper inspection it wouldn't need a software update etc. Was it bought from a Peugeot main dealer?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The water I drained out of our two 1.6s at 70 and 85k was still as pink as when it went in, presumably at the factory. Something very wrong with this motor (probably why it was back on sale after 4k) - I would reject it. It sounds like a super-lemon!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I quite agree, definitely one to be rejected...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i didnt think they still used blue antifreeze/coolant on/in modern cooling systems!!!
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Its always interesting to note the huge differences in customer service from before parting with cash and after.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I too did not realise they used the blue stuff, a thought at the back of my mind says (maybe?) that it was just filled at a third party garage maybe but that seems unlikely as its under warranty ? hmm.

I know we went a few years ago from the (decent in my opinion) green stuff to the red "long life" about 1998 but I assumed that or a variation of it (oat etc base) was still in use.

On topic yes I'd reject it if possible, three breakdowns in a short period of time does not bode well, I would actually see if the previous owner (if a private owner) is available via directory enquries maybe they can tell you a little about their time with the car. its worth the tiny charge for an enquiry to see if they have their number listed maybe. I tried this once (about a year ago) with something (non PSA) I brought with a selection of interesting and not immediately noticeable faults although the p/o was ex directory unfortunately.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Grey does sound like emulsified oil though as per the link in the post above. I remember seeing some in an old Micra (yes I know) after it had had a h/g change. It took quite a lot of flushes to get it all out from what I can recall...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
elma

Post by elma »

Thank you for all opinions, mine is similar. Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince Dad, he has done something sort of clever though. The car has been rejected on the basis that it brakes down one more time this year. The garage are happy with that that so is Dad, I'm not but it doesn't matter. Just to fill everyone in the car was bought at a main dealer who did originally sell it and undertook all its servicing during its 6 month life.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I hope for your dad it does break down again this year Elma... I'm sure it will..

Most coolant nowadays is pink although that in my little girls' Nissan Pixo is dark green...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote:I hope for your dad it does break down again this year Elma... I'm sure it will..
We've bet a meal in the local pub that it'll not last or last the year. I reckon I'll win the meal and I'll drive. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I hope for your dad it does break down again this year Elma... I'm sure it will..
We've bet a meal in the local pub that it'll not last or last the year. I reckon I'll win the meal and I'll drive. :-D
If I were a betting man I'd be looking forward to that meal Elma :wink:
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

spider wrote:Grey does sound like emulsified oil though as per the link in the post above. I remember seeing some in an old Micra (yes I know) after it had had a h/g change. It took quite a lot of flushes to get it all out from what I can recall...

Dads first problem car was a Micra. Bought brand new and my Brother wrote it off into a Corsa (well done!) The replacement lasted not long before it scored the cam which I blamed on the fact that it held about a pint of oil in a microsump and they live up mini Everest. It was swapped for a Ford Focus which has been rusting to death on the drive for the last 18months or so because it's rubbish and only worked for about a year. Always cracks me up when people say get a Ford parts are cheap, even if they are 1/2 price if you need twice as many it costs the same money and double the time.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Most coolant nowadays is pink although that in my little girls' Nissan Pixo is dark green...
The Citroen branded stuff I use is green.
Therefore environmentally friendly 8-)
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

CitroJim wrote:I hope for your dad it does break down again this year Elma... I'm sure it will.
It's not really a bet though, is it? Can't see it lasting the month. :wink: :wink: