Post your car related stamps here...literally

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

In October 2014, La Poste paid homage to Citroen by issuing a series of stamps. These were the models that made it and who would believe it the Xsara is in and the Xantia is out!

So if you come across some nice or awful car related postage stamps from around the world shove a picture up here.

I do think that this illustration of the Traction Avant is much better than the 2014 version

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Post your car related stamps here...literally

Here's a little BMW from Thailand for example

And a Triumph Spitfire from Somalia.....starts you thinking...how did that happen?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

And just for the sake of a random slightly off topic link over 400,000 people voted to have this included alongside the TGV, The Concorde, the 2CV in an issue of stamps

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Some Stronk Russian stamps !....Soviet car racing and development is an unknown thing in the west, they did some interesting stuff

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:In October 2014, La Poste paid homage to Citroen by issuing a series of stamps. These were the models that made it and who would believe it the Xsara is in and the Xantia is out!
How dare they! A travesty :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Some Stronk Russian stamps !....Soviet car racing and development is an unknown thing in the west, they did some interesting stuff
It was all s**t though.
NewcastleFalcon

Plenty of 2CV's on stamps. This one's from Guernsey with HM Queen Elizabeth II on it, but a La Poste van :!:

Whats wrong with a good old Morris Minor in RM Red livery?

regards Neil

PS

Apparently nothing (for UK Letters)

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Jan 2015, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Plenty of 2CV's on stamps. This one's from Guernsey with HM Queen Elizabeth II on it, but a La Poste van :!:

Whats wrong with a good old Morris Minor in RM Red livery?

regards Neil

Didn't the RM spec ones have rubber wings or something weird like that?
NewcastleFalcon

In the early days the RM Van did have some tweaks

You are spot on with the rubber wings Mike but only on the very early models according to this taken from The BMC Experience
The first Post Office vans featured black rubber front wings with exposed “frog-eye” headlamps, which were deleted in 1954, with the advent of the “slatted-grille” facelift model. All early LCVs had rectangular mirrors mounted on the A-pillars, and these were replaced with round wing-mounted versions on the facelift.

The split windscreen also had an interesting feature, as the driver’s side could open from the bottom.

This was apparently to prevent the window fogging up in the cold UK winters, as the optional heaters were not specified.

To facilitate the opening window, the wipers were mounted at the top of the screen instead of on the scuttle. This feature remained on postal vans up until the end of 1958, even though saloons had received a one-piece windscreen with the launch of the Minor 1000 in October 1956. The GPO vans only received the one-piece screen, and a heater/demister, in January 1959.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and here it is a pic from Amberley Working Museum West Sussex

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The theme in 2013 for the issue of "Europa" stamps by countries in Europe was post vehicles to celebrate the 20th anniversary of PostEurop.

Not surprisingly the UK went for the Morris Minor as opposed to the Fiat Doblo, or Peugeot Bipper/Partner

Each Country's "entry" is available here

Here's a few examples

Well first on the list is the Aland Islands-new one on me so this is what WIki says about them. "The Åland Islands or Åland is an autonomous, demilitarised, monolingually Swedish-speaking region of Finland that consists of an archipelago lying at the entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia in the Baltic Sea."

Just for nostalgic purposes remembering a holiday over 30 years ago, another set of remote islands. Looks like the Fiat sales team also made a trip there :)

Last on the list is Vatican City

ImageImage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:and here it is a pic from Amberley Working Museum West Sussex

And I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Amberley museum. I'm sure it'd provide a good days diversion for most of the regulars on here :) The earlier photo of the Moggy Minor outside Steele's is also taken at Amberley. I learnt to drive a small steam loco at Amberley as a birthday present - it took hours to wipe the smile off my face :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote:
And I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Amberley museum. I'm sure it'd provide a good days diversion for most of the regulars on here :) The earlier photo of the Moggy Minor outside Steele's is also taken at Amberley. I learnt to drive a small steam loco at Amberley as a birthday present - it took hours to wipe the smile off my face :)
I like it when a random link brings back a few good memories, sounds like a great present Bobbins

Just a couple more from the Europa Stamps Postal Vehicles and the first appearance on the FCF of a team of huskies

Image Image

and one from the neighbours

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Revive a thread day....some nice images here and plenty more to find.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Who would have thought it. The Renault Zoe in its embryonic form, makes it to a stamp in 2009 in the Republique de Guinee

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey