Hello

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hello

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: Surprised things have not caught up yet. I've not looked how long the 3.1.x series has been out though.
Not very long Andy, it was released in late October. I downloaded the binaries and got the test board up within hours of the release...

At the moment both the 3.0.x and 3.1.x branches are running in parallel...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Ah OK.

I'll D/L it (when my connection permits!) and have a closer look to see what's changed. Have they got a flash (or multiple file) uploader yet ?

The only issue I had with 3x really (does not seem to apply here due to the design in some ways) is the horizontal / vertical tabbing in the ucp area. IPB did this in 30 / 31 then it went more or less back to a sensible vertical listing as per 2x (and some other software vb3 etc) as although having tabs 'both ways' is perfectly logical its usability is not what it should be, I guess a case of "in theory..." :D

^^ This is quite difficult to explain I may have to get some screenshots if desired.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Post by spider »

It does seem a lot better actually Jim. I noted various improvements.

For my personal use there are a few things still awol however but yes its a big improvement generally. The (much needed, no idea how they were absent for so long) mod dropdown options in topic view are good too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:It does seem a lot better actually Jim. I noted various improvements.
There are a lot Andy and some make an upgrade very compelling, especially the admin-orientated ones and the nice things users can now do in their control panel. Notifications especially are going to be well-loved...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

True.

The main one I use (elsewhere on other software as you know) is 'someone quotes my post' , this is really invaluable and in some ways it is only when you have it enabled that you realise how useful it actually is. Especially on a big forum where is not time to check for replies to your post.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

The one thing I see (won't apply here I expect anyway) is attachments *appear* to all live in the same directory, there is no date / week /monthly creation of subdirs for them. This could cause issues as you know if you have quite a few thousand files in one directory. I can't remember if the newer 'Nix filing systems cope better with this, I expect so. Its not something that personally would effect me anyway.

I thought about mysql storage instead for said attaches, but that seems a good way to help cook the poor db server anyway. :D , maybe good for just avatars etc but not for mass file storage on a forum, at least in my thoughts.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm not allowing attachments Andy as they are a potential source of maliciousness... You're basically allowing any member to upload any sort of file to the forum server... Those files could contain any sort of nasty payload...

Not good...
Jim

spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:I'm not allowing attachments Andy as they are a potential source of maliciousness... You're basically allowing any member to upload any sort of file to the forum server... Those files could contain any sort of nasty payload...

Not good...
Yes understand, as mentioned not really applicable to here, it was more a general comment. :)

I'm well aware of the potential mayhem of disguising a executable file as an image to (if said person is lucky or unlucky, depending on what side of the fence they are sat on I guess) get it uploaded etc. GD is reasonable at picking them out but like everything...

I need not go on ;) You know what I mean.
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The attachment on this edition seemed to go quite quickly down the pan anyway. Better that members use their own hosting sites.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:The attachment on this edition seemed to go quite quickly down the pan anyway. Better that members use their own hosting sites.
Indeed. Exactly.....
Jim