Thinking about a Saxo - anyone want to talk me out

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Thinking about a Saxo - anyone want to talk me out

Post by martyhopkirk »

Going to Bury tomorrow to look at an R plate 1.5D Saxo with 57K. Seems reasonalbly priced and if its in fair nick i may possibly buy it and consign the ZX to the "cars I once owned" pile.
So, is anyone going to try and talk me out of this madness? ( you have till tomorrow morning, and yes if I can find one Im still going to buy a Dyane).
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Check for rust in the rear chassis inboard of the back wheels. Take a sharp pointy, pokey thing and have a prod around the chassis and wheel arches.
Being a diesel it shouldn't have suffered at the hands of the backwards baseball cap boys.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Ok if you ain't 6'2 with size 10 feet and carrying a bit around the middle. The wheel arch on the drivers side front takes up a bit of space, so I end up driving with bent legs. I also feel like I'm wearing the car not driving it. Other than that, you should be ok, basking in the glory of 55+ the the gallon. A lassy I work with husband has an AX with the same donk, which does Fleetwood to Wigan 6 days a week. It's got well over 200,000 on the clock and goes like a train, with the oily bits all in fine fettle.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

on that note, is the ax the same footwell wise as the saxo? I nearly bought a ax gti on ebay but after sitting in the neighbours saxo vtr concluded i couldnt drive an ax as the floor pans the same? Im 6'3 and size 12. To floor the throttle meant my foot was compeltly under the brake pedal lol
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Size 10 feet - size 42 waist! height 5'11".
Hmmm..... May be the auto ZX i saw would be a better bet after all (but thats another 1.9 engine and I really want a smaller one - fnarr fnarr)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Disappointed.
Had obviously been crashed at some point and the repairs were not very good. Also copious quantities of rust abound underneath. Not really as described and i begrudge travelling all that way to look at a red wreck. Will stick to more local cars I think in future.
So, no Saxo today..
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Marty.. The two automatic ZX's that I run are super.. I would recomend one to anyone who wants a good, comfy, roomy, economic, reliable car at a very low price.. These cars are very very underated, and under-valued... they dont rust, they dont cost much to run, and they dont break down...... [:)]
Saxo? tuhh! [:o)] heh heh...
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Got a ZX, but its on its last elbows, I wanted a AX / Saxo / 106 as they are smaller and have a 1.5 engine, so it will mean cheaper running costs (tax, insurance, parts etc) But it really does have to be a diesel, and not many manufacturers produced a 1500 diesel (Rover fitted the Pug unit to the Metro/100 but i would have to be forcibly made to wear a trilby before i bought one again).
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Drifting away from Cits, how about a Pug 205? Silly cheap to buy and economical, the engine is a bit smaller at 1765cc. I'm in the middle of putting one together for Mrs B, it cost be £70 for a K plater. Worth a look maybe? [B)]Ducks down for mentioning the "P" word in the Cit bit[B)][:0]
I'm not a bit fan of the PSA 1400/1500 unit. The 1400 is an all alloy unit and very fragile. I've seen a few that have run hot, which causes the block to warp, causing constant overheating and head gasket failure. The 1500 is better as the block is now iron, so the engine is alot stronger. They still need the cooling system to be maintained to the point of obsession though.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im aware that the 1400 can be a problem, which is why im tring to source a 1500 if possible - the reason for a 1500 is thet it (just) scrapes into the cheaper road tax band which means £60 (easier to find than £90) amd less insurance than the 1900 ZX (and i'm hoping cheaper bits like tyres, exhaust and so on)
Nothing against Pugs - heve been looking at some quite ridiculously priced 106 diesels and walking away again!
BTW - got one of those Citroen TIS cd's off eBay - interesting, but not a replacement for a Haynes manual.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I had a look at the AX I mentioned t'other day, current mileage is 218,600[:0] The car is totally mint inside and out, wearing it's starship stella miles very well. Amazing for such a small engine.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

1.5 AX D advertised in the Loot this Sunday, sounds fantastic, only its in Oldham - which means i cant get there till w/end. Which if its as good as its making out to be it will probably be sold - bum. Still, got 10 months ticket remaining on the ZX.... Plenty of time!
Off to Southport to pick up a crate of 20 x 1L Total Quartz oil (ebay £30!) Not sure if it fell off the back of a lorry, but its being delivered from Liverpool!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

20 litres for 30 quid! Black gold, texas T! Thats a proper bargain! Lets just hope this geezer hasnt refilled 20 empty total quartz containers with Lidl Veg oil![:D] Did it turn out good!?
My sister had a 106 1.5 xr/nd Graduate, sound little car but her attitude to cars is awful- she had a leak on the cooling system which was booked in to be looked at, it got worse and she cooked it on the motorway "The temperature gauge is going up to the top- ah, nevermind, Ill try and make it home anyway!", needed a new head, cost her a bomb because of her poor attitude to cars. Never sounded the same after the HGF, she traded it in for a 206 which she treats with the same contempt!
Just checked on RAC and its still going- m69 ovm. If you see this one Marty you may be best off steering clear![;)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Oil the genuine article - all in new sealed tubs - broke one open to top up the ZX - seems the genuine article allright!
Move over Dell Boy!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Is this the Quartz 5000 15/40 or 7000 10/40 oil?
David