Can you link numbers 1-24 with interesting cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Can you link numbers 1-24 with interesting cars?

Post by citronut »

northern_mike wrote:Maestros weren't a bad car. Shame a lot of them were saddled by ancient engines.
plus they used the antiquated suspenders form the likes of the moggy 1000, ( just a moggy in discuise, or should that be Judy in de sky's :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

No, your thinking of the Marina and Ital Malcolm. The Maestro had hydrolastic suspenders. A nice car, spectacularly badly made.

Jim - my brother had Montwontgo 2 litre Turbo diesel estate. It was both a great car and a total pile of s**t all in one!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
northern_mike wrote:Maestros weren't a bad car. Shame a lot of them were saddled by ancient engines.
plus they used the antiquated suspenders form the likes of the moggy 1000, ( just a moggy in discuise, or should that be Judy in de sky's :roll: :wink:
No, the Maestro was a bit better suspend than that Malcolm. On fact it was quite conventional as I recall. McPherson struts at the front and a torsion beam at the back al-la VW Golf...

It was the Marina and Ital that had the Moggy ( Soggy?) Minor suspension set-up...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, neither the Maestro or Montego had Hydragas unfortunately... Both very conventional. It was eschewed on cost grounds. As per normal for BL in those dark days.
northern_mike wrote: Jim - my brother had Montwontgo 2 litre Turbo diesel estate. It was both a great car and a total pile of (-expletive removed-) all in one!
A bit like the K-series engined Metro I had :( Such a shame as it was a brilliant car let down by atrocious quality control.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:No, neither the Maestro or Montego had Hydragas unfortunately... Both very conventional. It was eschewed on cost grounds. As per normal for BL in those dark
Yes you're right Jim..Apologies.

The wiki for the Maestro says they even used VW Golf suspension bits for testing prototypes with. If only they'd kept them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote: The wiki for the Maestro says they even used VW Golf suspension bits for testing prototypes with. If only they'd kept them.
Gosh :o

Didn't some models have a Golf gearbox? Or was it a PSA gearbox? I do recall they saw some sense and didn't use one of their own or go down the old gearbox in sump route...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

There were different gearboxes. I had a C reg maestro 1.6L followed by a montego 1.6 clubman. Both were 5 speed but reverse was in totally opposite places. They were good cars to drive but quality control and paint were utter rubbish. Holes in the bottom of the doors on the maestro at 5 years old! The montego was an ex demo and I sold it at 3 years old due to rust in the seams on the windscreen pillars, which had been twice by the dealer under warranty. Never any problems mechanically though.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

maestro, every time you opened the door the Frame could flex so much the windscreen broke, normally it just flexed till the door frame rusted....about 4 years >>>LOL....piece of @@@T
On the basis of those BL Cars of the time, boy did we deserve a good kicking !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Renault 14 still has time to make an appearance. Its a slightly more interesting shape. This is from an official brochure, maybe used a nice pear as a design inspiration...

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Dec 2014, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Because its 15 types of crap in one car ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stickyfinger wrote:maestro, every time you opened the door the Frame could flex so much the windscreen broke,
we used to find back in the 80's citroens were more or less the only car you could put up on the two poster and still open and shut the doors smoothly,

even the likes of the Rolly pollys and big pussies if you opened a door whilst it was off the ground, you could not shut it till it was back on its wheels
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:maestro, every time you opened the door the Frame could flex so much the windscreen broke,
we used to find back in the 80's Citroëns were more or less the only car you could put up on the two poster and still open and shut the doors smoothly,

even the likes of the Rolly pollys and big pussies if you opened a door whilst it was off the ground, you could not shut it till it was back on its wheels
The Austin Allaggro was also said to have this affliction... But perhaps rather worse than most...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

What do you get when BL mixed the Austin Allegro and Range Rover production Lines

The Austin LegOver

BOOM Boom
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:What do you get when BL mixed the Austin Allegro and Range Rover production Lines

The Austin LegOver

BOOM Boom
Tish...

:rofl2: :rofl2:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I heard that BL and Mothercare planned on doing a joint product, but they found they were making cars with built in rattles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!