Can you link numbers 1-24 with interesting cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Can you link numbers 1-24 with interesting cars?

Post by CitroJim »

Wasn't there a 1.3 Capri too?

Back in the 70s a 1.3 was an incredibly popular engine size and it was amazing how a lot of so-called 1.3 engines were some way off...

BMC with their 1275cc A series, Poxhall with their horrendous 1256cc Viva thing and Rootes with the 1250cc boat anchor in the poverty-spec Avenger...

I know the ES9 3.0 V6 is a way off three full litres at 2946cc but somehow in 3 litres a shortage of 54cc is not so massive as a similar shortage in an engine less than half its size...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Wasn't there a 1.3 Capri too?
Yes. It was horrid and not popular. Difficult to re-engine too as the shell was slightly different to the ones with the larger motors.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just to add a bit of visual interest, while I struggle to find a close-up of the tail badge from a 1.3 Sierra, this offering claimed "Convertible of the Year" in '13.

Hey-it was the "Top Gear" awards but it still looks pretty good to me...

regards Neil

The Hyundai i10 refering back to the 10''s, won "Bargain of the Year" in the same awards 2013. Saw one and noticed it for the first time today, a little grey one which could only be described as a bit on the cautious side when assessing whether or not to overtake a stationary bus in front of us. At least it gave me plenty time to view the badge to cionfirm my ID.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Nothing finer at 1.3
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for posting that up Sticky. The owner really knows his stuff!

And here's the "fulviasport1,3" badge from the 1967 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato -in the video.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and the 1.3 in question is a nice little V4

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how about

http://tinyurl.com/o39mlnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

citronut wrote:how about

http://tinyurl.com/o39mlnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a collection of 1300's. This one reminds me of a friend's car with a rather loud clunk from the rear offside. It was a nice low milage car he got from his grandad so the subframe mounting point which had rotted away got repaired.

Could even be "black tulip"?

regardss Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Simon Cars I have found are pretty good at car 'badge's how about this...a maestro in an interesting cars thread....who would have thought it :!:

The Morris Ital

The Cortina Mk II with the blue logo in the middle of the grille distinguished a 1.3L model,

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 13 Dec 2014, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Maestros weren't a bad car. Shame a lot of them were saddled by ancient engines. When you think of what the Japanese were sticking in cars of a similar size back then and then think of the old rattly A-series....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:When you think of what the Japanese were sticking in cars of a similar size back then and then think of the old rattly A-series....
True but in its day the A series was fantastic for what it was.. To think it was turbocharged in the MG Metro Turbo was incredible and it made it a lot of fun. I know, I had one... :-D

And to think it held on from 1952 to 2000 and ended it's days as a fuel injected engine is even more incredible...

Read David Vizard's classic work on tuning them and see what could be wrung out of them and just how far they could be bored out... All the way to 1600cc!

All of the A series variants and all of the cars fitted with them might make an interesting (and long!) topic in its own right...

The Maestro was a good car, especially in MG form... So was the Montego. Just let down by shoddy build quality :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
northern_mike wrote:When you think of what the Japanese were sticking in cars of a similar size back then and then think of the old rattly A-series....
True but in its day the A series was fantastic for what it was.. To think it was turbocharged in the MG Metro Turbo was incredible and it made it a lot of fun. I know, I had one... :-D

And to think it held on from 1952 to 2000 and ended it's days as a fuel injected engine is

A sign of BL/Rover's penny pinching and yet another reason that we no longer have a British car industry.

A great engine the A-series (and A+) might have been in it's day, but it's day had really gone by the early 80s -compare it to what the Japanese and nd Europeans were sticking in the latest cars and while not awful, it's not a patch on a lot of them.

I had an MG Metro. It was a great little car. It had a stage 2 head and cam, a big noisy SU carb, modern ignition and LCB manifold all of which I had fitted and set up by Minisport in Padiham. It wasn't much fun at low speed with that set up but it sang and went well once above about 3500rpm. Which, as I was about 25 at the time I owned it, it did a lot..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote: I had an MG Metro. It was a great little car. It had a stage 2 head and cam, a big noisy SU carb, modern ignition and LCB manifold all of which I had fitted and set up by Minisport in Padiham. It wasn't much fun at low speed with that set up but it sang and went well once above about 3500rpm. Which, as I was about 25 at the time I owned it, it did a lot..
That was the stuff of dreams in the late 70s Mike.. We used to lust after that kind of spec. for our Mini engines. We were always on the hunt for a 12G295 head from an MG1100 and a Piper 731 cam go with it...

Oh what days :-D Our lust for a hot engine was only just slightly less than our lust for a hot girl :P
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Lets start off with a bit of colour

Then a bit of original black and white

and a PS which I came across which may be of interest to some :)

Regards Neil

PS Came across this as I perused the old austin adverts-not sure what "number" the car is though

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here's another 14 this time from Alvis

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey