C5 4 speed automatic

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tintin
My Cars:

C5 4 speed automatic

Post by Tintin »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I am just asking for advice on my newly acquired Citroen C5 HDI 4 speed Auto. Not owning one of these before, or indeed any French car, find the auto box quite perculiar. All gears are working but the box seems to prefer downshifting to a lower gear, especially at city speeds and lifting off on a downhill run. This can make the drive quite uncomfortable sometimes. I am thinking of changing the transmission fluid as the car has done 220000kms and hoping this May help. The question is this normal for this gearbox or is there something wrong??
Many thanks
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: C5 4 speed automatic

Post by citroenxm »

Welcome to our fold.

How old is the C5? Though, asking that, 4 speed is the give away. The proper question is which hdi engine, 2.2 16v or 2.0 8v engine??

The 2.2 16v hdi uses the ZF 4HP 20 auto adaptive auto box, where the 2.0 8v HDi uses PSA's AL4 auto adaptive box.

The two box's are simmilar by being auto adaptive, this means it "Learns" the drivers style and adapts to the style. They are designed to change down on over run to assist with engine braking..

Im not positive, but you can reset the parameters on the box, but Im not sure if its simply battery disconnect for a certain amount of time, or only through a lexia diagnostic.

ALSO: The gearboxs DO NOT USE DEXRON fluid, they use a special fluid Esso LT14414 (Or something like that!) DO NOT USE DEXRON in them!!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Tintin
My Cars:

Post by Tintin »

Thank you citroenxm.
My car is a 2.2 16v HDI 2002. Your answer makes sense to me as the car was used as a "runaround" in a quiet coastal town for a couple of years by its previous owner, only very short runs at lower speeds. This may have effected its "learning". What do you think?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ooooo the WORSE engine for the WORSE type of journeys!! 2.2s just do NOT Like short journeys. You will need to do a good FEW high speed runs to get the DPF cleared out

The gearboxs also use an Electronic lockup on the torque convertor... the electro valve that controls it can play up. It results in the engine always dropping to Idle Revs every time you lift off..

At the moment it sounds like it is behaving correctly. Dont fret, we have a residant 2 HP 20 expert on here, who is currently out at the moment!

Im sure he would be able to give you a better more correct answer then me.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Tintin
My Cars:

Post by Tintin »

Thanks again citroenxm.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citroenxm wrote:Welcome to our fold.
From a Welshman to an Australian that is brilliant Paul! :rofl2:

Welcome TinTin :welc: :)
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

myglaren wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Welcome to our fold.
From a Welshman to an Australian that is brilliant Paul! :rofl2:

Welcome TinTin :welc: :)
Oooo wasnt trying steve. I just meant welcome to the forum... :o :shock:

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You don't have to worry too much about the road usage there Paul; Adelaide is about like Taunton with a few extra hills chucked in. Not as though there would be prolonged periods of creeping bumper-to-bumper.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

At that mileage I'd get an oil change done ASAP. Make sure you only use Mobil LT71141 as the 4HP20 is very fussy about it's oil, and putting the wrong stuff in (IE anything Dexron) could quickly kill it, especially at that high mileage...If the gear changes are a bit harsh or abrupt an oil change is likely to improve the changes.

Somewhat aggressive down changing when you're going down hill is normal for a 4HP20, depending on your driving style. It monitors the brake light switch and can also work out whether the car is going downhill, on the level or uphill based on the vehicle acceleration/deceleration, engine torque figure and throttle opening.

For example if it senses that the throttle is closed, the engine is producing no torque yet the vehicle speed is increasing it surmises that you are on the overrun going down hill. When you are going downhill or uphill it will hold lower gears to a higher rpm than if you are on the level, and will also down change earlier. Also if you are going down hill and you then apply the brake for more than about a second this will typically trigger a forced down shift and torque converter lockup to provide engine braking. This is normal behaviour.

There are two aspects to the "auto adaptive" features of the box. One is adapting to driving style, the other is adapting to wear and tear of the gearbox.

The driving "auto adaptive" feature monitors your driving style, primarily by how aggressively you operate the accelerator, and uses that to select different sportiness programs from SK1 to SK6 as you drive - with SK1 affectionately being referred to as "old git mode" where it will try to change up to a high gear really early, (below 2000 rpm) stay in high gears as much as possible, and resist down shifting, all the way up to SK6 where gears will be held to about 3500 rpm with very aggressive down shifting on the deceleration.

From a cold start you will start in SK2 but it will slip back to SK1 within a few minutes if you drive like a grandpa. If you drive aggressively it will go up to SK3 or SK4, and if you put it in sport mode it will stay locked in SK5 and SK6.

It's not just looking at how far down you press the accelerator, it's looking at how quickly you move it. Frequent rapid movements of the accelerator trigger switches to more sporty programs... also a quick kick down will kick down more easily than a slow acceleration - for example at a certain road speed in 4th if you slowly press the pedal down to 50% it may not kick down but quickly flicking the pedal down to 50% probably will. If you want it to change gear in a sporty fashion you need to flick the throttle quickly, unlike older hydraulic only boxes where only the distance moved by the throttle matters in triggering a kick down.

There is no way to reset the driver auto adaptive program, but you don't need to as it is constantly changing as it monitors your driving style and will adapt to either leisurely or aggressive driving style within a few minutes.

The other auto adaptive feature is adapting to wear and tear of the gearbox to maintain smooth gear changes - this happens gradually during the life of the car and there is an "auto adaptive reset" that can be done using a Lexia however in most circumstances I would NOT recommend this is done - as unless you follow a specific driving regimen for the first 20 minutes or so after the reset you can easily make the quality of the gear changes much worse, especially on a worn box.

Regarding citroenxm's comments on the revs dropping to idle when lifting off the throttle - that's actually normal on the 4HP20 depending on the speed you're doing and what gear you're in. Below a certain road speed for each gear the torque converter will unlock to increase pickup on acceleration, but that also means that if you let off the throttle the engine will drop to nearly idle and you will coast along.

Change down a gear and the road speed will be fast enough to put the torque converter into lock up mode - now releasing the throttle will maintain the engine RPM and you will also have engine braking.

I find on mine if I leave it in drive then it changes up to 4th at just under 40mph, but will leave the torque converter unlocked until about 50mph - so if I cruise at 40mph and release the throttle it will coast along with the engine idling, however if I manually change down to 3rd at the same speed the torque converter will lock up and the engine revs will not drop when releasing the throttle. As far as I know this is normal behaviour for a 4HP20 but I don't know if the AL4 behaves the same way...

I believe the 4HP20 is the first generation of fully ECU controlled gearboxes made by ZF, so in many ways its a "prototype" - I don't think it's a box that anyone loves, and the auto adaptive driver response is very quirky, the gear change thresholds a bit odd, (it really does try to slog the engine at low rpm all the time unless you maintain an aggressive driving style to keep it in a sportier SK mode) but you do learn its quirks and get to know how to get it to do what you want, even if that means a bit of manual use of the sport button and gear lever.

I absolutely love the engine in the Xantia V6 but I only tolerate the gearbox. Even a good one is not as smooth as more modern auto boxes and I'd far rather have a manual box in mine...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Tintin
My Cars:

Post by Tintin »

Thanks very much Simon for your useful info. Will be changing the fluid in the transmission tomorrow.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Do you have the method for how to do it ? Later versions of the gearbox like yours don't have a dipstick to set the level, instead there is a level plug a bit like a manual gearbox and you fill it via the breather vent at the top.

Here is the procedure for late Xantia V6's without a dipstick, it should be the same for your C4, assuming it is actually a 4HP20 and not an AL4.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... %20Oil.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The alternative is to measure how much comes out and replace the same amount but that assumes the correct amount is in there now...
Last edited by Mandrake on 14 Dec 2014, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Tintin
My Cars:

Post by Tintin »

Thanks Simon,
I've been crawling under the car to get an idea of what I need to do but this excellent guide is most helpful for the task ahead.
Craig
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Getting to the oil level plug isn't easy. I have some pics of where it is on my C5 V6, which hopefully will make it a bit easier to locate:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2.2 doesn't have as much exhaust piping getting in the way so it should be easier. Bandit12 has done the 4HP20 oil change twice on his 2.2 (once with me present), so I will ping him a message to see if he has any advice on it.

Also one thing that wasn't obvious to me, was the oil level plug is for draining excess oil to get it down to a specific level rather than for checking the level. So ideally you want it going from a small flow of oil coming out to just drips.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TinTin, welcome :-D If you log onto Club-XM.co.uk you'll find your old Pal Captain Haddock there :wink:

Simon, an excellent essay on the HP20 and worthy of Professor Calculus :-D
Mandrake wrote: I believe the 4HP20 is the first generation of fully ECU controlled gearboxes made by ZF, so in many ways its a "prototype" - I don't think it's a box that anyone loves
Speak for yourself! I love them to bits after rebuilding three of them. They are a work of mechanical beauty and poetry in motion :-D

TimTin, if you care to know more of the internals and how to rebuild one may I direct you here: HP20 Rebuild Guide

I believe there's a couple of broken links in that article I really ought to fix...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
Speak for yourself! I love them to bits after rebuilding three of them. They are a work of mechanical beauty and poetry in motion :-D
I watched the YT clip of Jay Leno's Lancia Fulvia (from the '14' thread) and I think it was the same ZF box he was quite rhapsodical about.
Unless it was the one in the DeTomaso Pantera (always lusted after one, in preference to a Porsche or Ferrari)