Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Just phoned the dreaded stealer in Forres that I hate. £1747 for bumper and headlight supply only. That's a bare bumper so need other bits too and a complete light. It looks as if it's only the plastic cover that is broken but the zero assembly is broken away from main body of the headlight. Oh well time to phone the insurance then. Add on I suppose a grand for paint, other bits needed and labour that's a 3 grand repair [emoji26] goodbye c5 I would think.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14308
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

OUCH! Both for the car, and the costs. I wish that you (and Mike) had had dash cams.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

They would have been blinded too James [emoji1]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Fake Concern
Posts: 1034
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 10:41
x 65

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Fake Concern »

Sorry to hear about this, but as said at least you are physically ok. I find there are many Range Rovers & other 4x4 type things with badly adjusted very bright lights and of course they are at eye height when you are in a conventionally proportional car.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Yes and they are even worse when they tailgate you. Even if they are directional hid like you and I have Peter if adjusted correctly they aren't a problem. I've now spoken to my insurance, i'm waiting for a phone call from their approved repairers who are going to collect the car and leave a courtesy car and then go from there. I wonder Peter if you know from the c4 forum if you can replace the directional lights with normal halogens? This could influence things for me.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Fake Concern
Posts: 1034
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 10:41
x 65

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Fake Concern »

I'm pretty sure it's not a straight forward job as the xenons have the self leveling gubbins and the halogens have a manual adjuster. Is it not viable to source second hand parts? Be a shame to write it off for mainly cosmetic damage.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

It's the price of the headlight that's the problem. £1300 plus from citroen, there is one used one on ebay for £250 but it has been repaired. Can get halogens for £30 each. My son suggested putting in two halogens and selling the drivers side one for lots more! I see his point. Then I could fill and paint the bumper and straighten the end of the wing and it would be acceptable. But I don't really want to be mucking about with the wiring too much!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Fake Concern
Posts: 1034
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 10:41
x 65

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Fake Concern »

If it's only the "glass" (acrylic?) on yours that's broken, what about buying a used halogen lamp & replacing just that part?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Northern_Mike

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

Fake Concern wrote:If it's only the "glass" (acrylic?) on yours that's broken, what about buying a used halogen lamp & replacing just that part?
The halogen lights have patterned glass.
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

The xenon swivelling bit of the light is hanging loose although it's still working. Must be something broken in there also.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
User avatar
Fake Concern
Posts: 1034
Joined: 27 Dec 2012, 10:41
x 65

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Fake Concern »

That's a shame.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

And I think that's what will write it off. Oh well it will save me from fixing the heating[emoji1] Also I think the clutch hasn't long left in this world either, it can slip on occasions so that would be another grand between those two jobs. There is only two c models I have not owned or driven that's a 3 and 6 so shaun says I have to get one or the other. Given that I can't afford a 6 it looks like a 3 then. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows, not me [emoji23]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 12584
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 1487

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by RichardW »

I sort of found the prices in service.citroen - yes the headlamp is close on £1400 - you can buy it without the bulb - but it only knocks about £20 off it :lol: Got to be a write off that, Davie - ins will only value it at about £1k I'd have thought.
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 14308
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 3306

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Look at this one, quick!;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SIGHT-UK ... 3a9d7d826a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
ex C5 2.2HDi VTX+

Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
User avatar
daviemck2006
Donor 2024
Posts: 5033
Joined: 04 Dec 2010, 18:45
x 496

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

That's a cheap c6 but beyond my means. I'm only going to have what the insurance pays out. And I have a £250 excess that I didn't realise I had. I did so many quotes comparing excesses and there was very little difference in the premiums and I must have taken the wrong one. I thought I had no excess. I am a numptie! I think it will be a write off but the woman on the phone didn't seem to think so. She probably won't know a headlight is 1400 and a bumper 400 notes. I've swapped the battery, put my 2 week old one into my daughters astra and hers into mine. It's 6 yrs old and just starting to be slow to start. I was actually offered 1107 from we steal any car a few weeks ago when I was gonna sell it. I would hope it's worth about 1500 but that may be optimistic. Time will tell.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Peugeot boxer 2016
In the family
Cupra Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2024 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Vw golf 1.9gttdi 150 spare toy.