SORN - legal question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

SORN - legal question

Post by bernie »

This just applies to the UK.
I have declared a vehicle as SORN, if I then let someone drive it as in a test drive am I breaking a law?[:(][:(]
Am I aiding and abetting a driver to drive whilst vehicle is SORNed?
[?][?][?]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have just spoken to the wife who by chance is a solicitor and the answer is YES. Under present law, the driver may be liable for using a vehicle with out a valid excise licence(tax disc. The keeper of the vehicle (you) may be liable for an offence of using a vehicle with out a valid excise licence with in a SORN period which is a higher fine than just having no tax disc. You would also be liable to pay back duty (tax) all the way back to the expiry of the last tax disc. Sorry now way around if the old bill catches you. [:(]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

BUT, if the vehicle should happen to require an MOT then it CAN be driven to and from the station if the appointment is prebooked. Now without trying to stretch the point it would be rather hash to prosecute if the purpose of the drive is for testing purposes prior to the test...........
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

As the wife says "harsh but it happens" now she said for me to stop asking her these kind of questions as she has spent all day in the local Magistrates Court with speeders and a like.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

One more please[8)][:I].
If after you sell a SORN vehicle the new owner drives it away?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

A big thankyou to Mrs McB[:)][:)]
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Complete nightmare, bought a Xantia from a dealer at end of Sept, took it out on trade plates, found faults asked him to fix them, meanwhile go to PO for tax from begining of Oct as I was not due to collect it before then, and was told as I had not declared SORN I would have to pay for the Tax for sept as I was the owner for part of the month despite not using it on the road! Unreal, so paid the tax from Sept and the B******* thing has been off the road ever since with air con problems that the daler could not or would not fix
Pete
________
Box vaporizers
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">if the old bill catches you. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In reality, that's not going to happen! (Unless you set off a speed revenue camera of course....)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

In order to sell this car I have insured it (£137) to drive to the MOT station (£41) and then have to tax it (£87), so that the prospective owner can test it, just to sell it for £300 + road tax.
Life is getting too complicated.[:(][:(]
May have been easier to leave alone[xx(]
I wonder if SORN is doing what it's suppose to do ie keep untaxed cars OFF the road?[?]
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

You don't have to NEED an MOT. The law just says a pre-booked MOT. It doesn't even say at a nearby MOT station. You could drive the length of the country..........technically.
Jamie
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

"technically" touche' mon amie.
Mind the wife just said if the old bill could get a local MOT station to confirm that you could have booked an appintment with then at the appropriate time then the Police might go with an offence of "pervert the course of justice". I'm just staying what the wife saud that's all.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Yep which all goes to show that the law is about the rules, NOT justice, common sense or any other pale pinko liberal B***S*** [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
PS this is non political - right?
________
Avatar: the last airbender dicussion
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You could report the car stolen, which would guarantee absolutely no police attention for at least 48 hours!
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghostrider</i>

pale pinko liberal B***S*** [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
PS this is non political - right?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
NO[:0]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Good the wife's not here. Personaly I'd just go and take my chances. Like bxbodger says the old bill ain't that interest in you SORN declaration. Just remember that theres loads more council traffic wardens then cops out there and they can smell any thing like this from miles away. It's some thing to do with the BONUS payments that they DON'T get!