Oponeo tyres - a warning!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Oponeo tyres - a warning!

Post by neil123 »

Just a word of warning - I ordered 4 Michelin Alpin winter tyres from these clowns, having seen good reviews and used similar firms in France without problems.

Oponeo managed to supply four tyres with 2011 manufacture dates - first and second quarter, despite their website stating they do not supply anything older than 18 months.

The tyre fitter didn't notice until he'd fitted two and started the third. Oponeo say they wont change them, as they've been fitted.

Utter clowns and dishonest. Unfortunately I paid via Paypal, who are less than helpful so have had to accept a small discount after taking and sendimng umpteen photographs.

I will never use Oponeo again, obviously, but wanted to warn others too.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Oponeo tyres - a warning!

Post by Stickyfinger »

Contact and copy in Michelin Customer Services with a heavy emphasis on the OLD aspect of the tires..play heavy disappointment, disgusted, never buy Michelin again, contacting press re safety etc....you may be surprised by a head office actions if you catch them on a good day :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:Just a word of warning - I ordered 4 Michelin Alpin winter tyres from these clowns, having seen good reviews and used similar firms in France without problems.

Oponeo managed to supply four tyres with 2011 manufacture dates - first and second quarter, despite their website stating they do not supply anything older than 18 months.

The tyre fitter didn't notice until he'd fitted two and started the third. Oponeo say they wont change them, as they've been fitted.

Utter clowns and dishonest.
I have nothing to do with Opneo, but before you start saying they are dishonest clowns in a public forum, it might be wise to check their FAQ. What you state is incorrect.

Their DOT FAQ states;

"Our company ensures the highest quality of the products that we sell. All the tyres that we offer are new, and their age is not higher than 24 months (according to recommendations of most automobile clubs, among others Allgemeine Deutsche Automobil-Club - ADAC, or Touring Club Schweiz - TCS). Such high Internet shop standards of Oponeo.co.uk are completely in accordance with tyre manufacturers’ guidelines which acknowledge not older than 3-year old tyres as brand new ones.

Additional advantage of Oponeo.co.uk is proper tyres storage and their huge rotation, which enables us to sell 90% of the tyres with the production date lower than 1 year.

In the case in which in spite of our efforts the tyres bought by our customers are older than 24 months, we give the customers choice. They decide whether we take back the tyre on our own expense or whether we give them proper discount. Its amount is 5% for tyres which the date of production is between 24-36 months and 10% for tyres which are older than 36 months"

So, their terms are pretty clearly stated there aren't they? They owe you 10% of the cost, by my reckoning. You did read their terms and conditions and FAQ and inspect the tyres on arrival, didn't you?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Contact and copy in Michelin Customer Services with a heavy emphasis on the OLD aspect of the tires..play heavy disappointment, disgusted, never buy Michelin again, contacting press re safety etc....you may be surprised by a head office actions if you catch them on a good day :)
Why should Michelin give a toss? There's nothing illegal about selling 3 year old tyres - unused, up to 3 years old, they are still legally new anyway.. Opneo clearly state in their FAQ and T&Cs what the deal is. A case of buyer beware, I'm afraid - read what you're getting, inspect the goods on arrival! Just like I failed to do with a new cooker yesterday....
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

NorthernMike - I agree, I can't see Michelin caring and as you state, nothing illegal in selling old stock tyres. The home page of their website (Oponeo) states '5 reasons to buy from us' the third of which is "Brand new, original goods. By buying tyres that come from the most modern factories anywhere in Europe, our customers are guaranteed products of the highest quality. We do not sell tyres older than 18 months from their date of production."

Fairly clear there?

The bit you quote, I hadn't seen and as it contradicts the home page and indeed itself, (24 months? But then discusses older tyres?) it would have made me very wary.

However it also says "In the case in which in spite of our efforts the tyres bought by our customers are older than 24 months, we give the customers choice. They decide whether we take back the tyre on our own expense or whether we give them proper discount" - so in my case I would have chosen replacements, which they refused as three of the tyres had been fitted, as I stated. I regard that as dishonest ( ie we do not sell tyres older than 18 months - yes you do) , and the behaviour of a clown outfit (making an issue of the tyres being fitted to rims, when the fault was theirs entirely.

Thanks for your support! Feel free to use them if you choose, but I won't again!
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Also NorthernMike - early 2011 production tyres aren't 'up to 3 years old' , either - they are nearer four, this being December 2014.

as I said, dishonest clowns!
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

On the flip-side, I bought some Continental Winter Contact TS830's from Openeo, and they were literally weeks old when they arrived at my doorstep. So I have nothing but good things to say about them. Shame that this is not always the case!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:NorthernMike - I agree, I can't see Michelin caring and as you state, nothing illegal in selling old stock tyres. The home page of their website (Oponeo) states '5 reasons to buy from us' the third of which is "Brand new, original goods. By buying tyres that come from the most modern factories anywhere in Europe, our customers are guaranteed products of the highest quality. We do not sell tyres older than 18 months from their date of production."

Fairly clear there?

The bit you quote, I hadn't seen and as it contradicts the home page and indeed itself, (24 months? But then discusses older tyres?) it would have made me very wary.

However it also says "In the case in which in spite of our efforts the tyres bought by our customers are older than 24 months, we give the customers choice. They decide whether we take back the tyre on our own expense or whether we give them proper discount" - so in my case I would have chosen replacements, which they refused as three of the tyres had been fitted!
Yes, you fitted them. They are therefore used. You could have driven them over kerbs and damaged them. Once fitted, they are used. You didn't read the date of manufacture when they were delivered. How is that Oponeo's fault?

As I stated, "Its amount is 5% for tyres which the date of production is between 24-36 months and 10% for tyres which are older than 36 months"

So, they admit they sell tyres over 36 months old, which some of yours are, and will give you 10% off, or change them IF YOU HAVEN'T used them. Which you have...

I'm not seeing your complaint here. You didn't read the rules, or look at the tyres when they arrived.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 3 or 4 year old tyres as long as they've been stored out of the sunlight anyway..
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:Also NorthernMike - early 2011 production tyres aren't 'up to 3 years old' , either - they are nearer four, this being December 2014.

as I said, dishonest clowns!
"Its amount is 5% for tyres which the date of production is between 24-36 months and 10% for tyres which are older than 36 months"

They clearly state they sell tyres over 36 months old, and will swap them out or give you a discount for them if you are not happy.

How is that dishonest?
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

NorthernMike - they weren't fitted to the CAR, just to the RIM - its obvious they haven't been driven.

They are dishonest, because on the home page of their website they state they sell nothing older than 18 months, then do.

I made the point about almost 4 years old as you said up to 3 is new anyway.

You obviously disagree fella, and you're entitled to your opinion, but for me they are dishonest and unreasonable.

I shan't darken their tills with my money again, and shall share my tale widely - that's the great thing about the web isn't it?

I shan't reply to you again though, I think we're done - as indeed I have been.
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Dommo wrote:On the flip-side, I bought some Continental Winter Contact TS830's from Openeo, and they were literally weeks old when they arrived at my doorstep. So I have nothing but good things to say about them. Shame that this is not always the case!

And that is as it should be, and no less than one would expect!

Good to hear they get it right sometimes... do you feel lucky?
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Actually, although I said I wouldn't reply to Mike again -

You're just wrong!

You said "So, they admit they sell tyres over 36 months old, which some of yours are, and will give you 10% off, or change them IF YOU HAVEN'T used them. Which you have... "

Which of four tyres made in the early part of 2011 do you regard as less than 36 months old? And where does the 'you've used them' bit come from? it isn't a quote from their site, as it appears in your selective cutting and pasting above.

And they DON'T clearly state they sell tyres over 3 years old - they say on their home page they sell nothing over 18 months - the weasel words you quote are buried in their small print and contradict the main page.

You're wrong, they are dishonest clowns.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:NorthernMike - they weren't fitted to the CAR, just to the RIM - its obvious they haven't been driven.

They are dishonest, because on the home page of their website they state they sell nothing older than 18 months, then do.

I made the point about almost 4 years old as you said up to 3 is new anyway.

You obviously disagree fella, and you're entitled to your opinion, but for me they are dishonest and unreasonable.

I shan't darken their tills with my money again, and shall share my tale widely - that's the great thing about the web isn't it?

I shan't reply to you again though, I think we're done - as indeed I have been
No. You didn't read their easily accessible FAQ with their terms on.

I also pointed out what they do for tyres over 36 months old. Refund or discount.

The fact you didn't notice isn't their fault.

Tyres fitted to a rim are used. End of story.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:Actually, although I said I wouldn't reply to Mike again -

You're just wrong!

You said "So, they admit they sell tyres over 36 months old, which some of yours are, and will give you 10% off, or change them IF YOU HAVEN'T used them. Which you have... "

Which of four tyres made in the early part of 2011 do you regard as less than 36 months old?
None. That's why I clearly say "over 36 months old ".

It's not me who's wrong there is it?
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 03 Dec 2014, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Mike - you said 'which some of yours are' - presumably meaning some , you think, aren't?

I think you're the one who is having reading problems. Read your own post.

Also - if their website states very clearly 'we don't sell any tyre over 18 months old' as one of the 5 reasons to buy from them on the Home Page - and the weasel stuff in the FAQs on another page says otherwise, is that my fault? Hardly.

I didn't feel the need to check the date, as they said they supply nothing over 18 months old.

You disagree, fair enough, I will let others judge whether or not they wish to do business with such an outfit. But don't tell me I'm factually wrong, based on

You making stuff up as you go along, Huh?

See ya. No more replies to you!