Insurance- A breath of fresh air

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys
Having recently added a van to the family fleet of 2 cars I was astonished to find that even though both drivers have 10 years no claims bonus the premiums for van insurance were ridiculously high. In a nutshell the 2 cars are around £250 e@ and the cheapest online quote I could get for the van was about £650! Obviously I'm starting from scratch NCB wise with the van but even I can't drive 2 vehicles at once. I tried multi vehicle deals with various insurers and frankly they're a joke, for the 2 cars Admiral wanted £1200!!!!
Luckily I came across these people C.http://www.flintinsurance.co.uk/contact.htmC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Flint and co.
They have landline phone no's ( I discovered today it cost me a tenner to get a phone quote from AXA ) The quotes are done on the phone, the phones are answered promptly, and the staff are delightful. The documents are hard copy and the whole process is how insurance used to be, polite honest and efficient. Even better they got the van quote down to £550. They are a genuine broker who strive to get the customer the best price.
The best price online today, for the Xantia, was £297 (AXA renewal £413) which rose to £302 between 11am and 1.00pm. Gave Flint a call and got it for £250 plus £11 for business use, free European cover on all policies.
So after you check online give them a try, you won't be disappointed I'm sure. If you mention the forum when you call and they get a fair bit of business I'm pretty sure even better prices will follow for members. I mentioned I'd be recommending them.
I will put them in the recommended services section.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Northern_Mike

Re: Insurance- A breath of fresh air

Post by Northern_Mike »

I get the C5 insured unlimited miles (inc business use and Europe) for £173 a year via Direct Line. Berlingo is £210 with esure, though that too will be going to Direct Line come renewal time.

I've always found Xantias, apart from the V6 ridiculously expensive to insure. The 110HDi I had cost more to insure than my Subaru Impreza (WTF)
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Give them a try, could even be a bit cheaper, only takes a phone call. Be interesting to see how you get on and your opinion of them.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds good Paul!
Rather like LVIC before Frizzell got hold of them.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

I've found all these fancy global and 'online if you please' insurance companies to be expensive, and a pain to communicate with. More like a supermarket - take it or leave it, we don't care, as if they operate on the premise that most companies are under the same umbrella, they want your money, not a customer . Waste of time searching.
Also, I don't trust that brash glossy crap regarding service when needed.

I've also got an old fashioned 'hard copy' and landline telephone Insurance company (Tradewise) who insure traders. They are a pleasure to deal with, and to pay for their staff's dinners.
My company backed me up when I was the target of a fraudulent claim, supposedly who I hit from behind and caused three people whiplash, then drove off.
In the end the frauds were advised by their own solicitor to back out. The case cost my company about £20, 000 in legal and court fees. We had agreed that the fraud should be fought on principle, even though prospects of getting a charge of fraud and damages were very slim (invisible injury, their word against mine). An engineer s report found that my car was unlikely to have caused their back end damage. And, we eventually found that their car had previously been in a claim for the same damage!
Last edited by John Plum on 02 Dec 2014, 21:27, edited 5 times in total.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Ps. I'm surprised you don't get no claims on a second car! Doesn't sound right, or is it because its a van? Can't be tat either, can it?
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

The price of vans and their insurance in no way corresponds to comparable cars, to be fair to C.C. Flint they did mirror my NCB and with the first years bonus it will hopefully drop to a more realistic level. They even rang today to check my docs had arrived!
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white