Lower Ball Joints

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Lower Ball Joints

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There is (to the best of my knowledge) no other way to adjust the ride height. I am glad I have scared you (please don't take it personally), as it means that (if you do decide to do the job) you will approach it with a great deal of caution and respect. I have done it (on Gracie), and, as I previously said, because she was properly up on ramps she could not drop down far enough to crush me.

What has happened on your car is that the clamp has (for whatever reason) changed its position in relationship to the height corrector. It could be it has moved on the anti roll bar, or that the short arm has bent. The problem can be resolved, and (provided you take all relevant precautions) it is not difficult.

It has to be done on ramps, or over an inspection pit, or on a hoist that lifts the car up by its wheels and NOT by its jacking points. You are adjusting the position of the clamp on the anti roll bar, and the car must be able to react correctly to that adjustment, and you must be able to see how far she reacted. Normal ramps should be high enough, but you should check (by parking the car on them, lowering her to service low, wait 2 minutes to make sure she stops moving,and then get underneath to see that there is sufficient room for you to be under her safely). Remember, when the car is in service low she is on her bump stops, so she CANNOT go down any further, EVEN if you do adjust the clamp too far.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, absolutely and good work on emphasising the safety aspects. That is absolutely paramount.

Larry, you might try to see if your local garage will allow you a few moments on their ramp. That is by far the safest method of doing it. Even if they charge you a bit for the time you've taken up it is still worth every penny you pay. It's easier, you can be more accurate and it's safer.

To cut the time, look at the job and get familiar with it and then you can go straight in and do it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Thanks Jim. Larry, if a local garage is willing to help remember that the car MUST be supporting its' weight on it's wheels, not on anything else. It has to be on the wheels for the adjustments to work and be seen to work. As northern_mike said, adjust by small amounts (very small amounts, as the height correctors are sensitive), and it shouldn't take that long. IIRC the height corrector is mounted on the rear of the front sub-frame, and the anti roll bar is a few inches behind that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if this car ride height was correct before the work you carried out was done, the answer/fix should not be by adjusting the ride height via the clamp on the anti roll bar, but by finding out what you caused in doing the work
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI Guys

Well as I dont have ramps or pit- i found a way to adjust the height. Basically I raised the car on axle stands as normal and depressurized to lift the front end up- i like working with space. With handbrake and steering lock on, I then jacked up the front wheels and put smaller axle stands to prop up the wheels, which more or less gave me 4 fingers between wheel and wheel arch (presuming with the proper weight on the wheels it would drop a bit). I then fixed the clamp on the height mechanism where it lay. This was pretty good, but when down on level ground it gave only 2 fingers between wheel and wheel arch. A couple of tries later (the mechanism is pretty sensititive) I got it more or less just right. The only pain is every time you make a small adjustment you have to jack the car down, take out the extra protection, like old tyres under the engine and rear of car that I always have as I dont like the idea of dieing, test it.... and then jack it all up again and jack up the wheels, put in place protection and adjust again. Not ideal, but it works.

However, after all this effort, it seems that changing all the bushes and the ball joints, i'm still getting knocking noises on steering, particularly at low speeds. :eh:

I do enjoy working on the beast, but hate not having all the tools and garage equipment that I cant afford :roll:

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, you got there, and it seems you took the safety needs to heart. I cannot help with the noises though.

I have heard of somebody who managed to get hold of 3 railway sleepers. He cut one of them diagonally, and now has a set of VERY heavy duty ramps, even though he needs a strong trolley to set them up! The diagonal cut means he has a gentle slope up to the level, so he doesn't rip the guts out of the clutch getting the car up there!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

lazza wrote:HI Guys

I then jacked up the front wheels and put smaller axle stands to prop up the wheels,
Cheers
Larry

i hope you did not have the engine running whilst you had the car supported in this way,
as you risk tipping it over as the suspension moves up or down
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI Malcolm

It was already supported on larger axle stands on the front supports, and the back wheels were chocked. I see what you mean though, if the suspension went to high with the engine running- oooh doesnt bear thinking about. However, I only work underneath the car with the suspension depressurised, for safety reasons, and I never work underneath with the engine running, i'm a bit paranoid about things like that.

Thanks for the words of warning though,

Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer