Would you buy one ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Would you buy one ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Would you buy one ?

Post by CitroJim »

That's a great video Sticky :-D Very slick piece of advertising...

Having owned a 205GTi for a long while and having driven the 206 and 207 I can only say the 208 has a hard act to follow to get anywhere close to the 205. Both the 206 and 207 were retrograde steps.

I have heard the 208 is an improvement on the 207 but that's not exactly difficult to achieve going on my experience of them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I saw one at the track earlier this year (vanilla, not 30th). Seemed to be very capable, but from what I understand you need a good reason not to buy a Fiesta ST. Or you could save some dosh and buy a hot hatch of yester-year, have you seen how much these new ones cost :shock:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

evilally wrote:Or you could save some dosh and buy a hot hatch of yester-year, have you seen how much these new ones cost :shock:
Have you seen how much a good 205 GTi goes for these days? :shock: :twisted:

One car I wish I'd never sold...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

The wife's new wheels are a 206 1.6 XSI 16v 110bhp, with most and more of the equipment my exclusive's got and some lovely sports seats, averaging 35mpg, goes like stink and handles really well. Puts me in mind of the 205GTI or the Golf 16v GTI of the 80's but a lot more refined. Love it.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That 206 XSI has almost the same power as the original 1.6 205GTi Paul...

I'm surprised you think they handle well as all the 206s I've driven have not impressed in that department compared with the 205GTi. I've found them a bit soggy. I confess I've not driven an XSI though . Has that got uprated suspension?
Jim

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

SOGGY! It's like a skateboard compared to the Xantia, it's a long time since I drove either the Golf or the Pug but I'd say it's a bit stiffer than the mk1 GTI golf and I drove a lot of them. I guess it must be some sort of sports suspension.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Comparing a 206 to a Xantia would show a massive difference in handling, as they are very different cars. However, a comparison between a 205 and a 206 is much better, as the 206 is the direct replacement for the 205, and, ideally, the 206 should be better.

Mind you, for the handling aspect, almost anything compared to a fully fettled Xantia Activa is going to find it hard going!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:SOGGY!
Ignore me, I'm really funny about suspension and how it feels but then as James says, I do have an Activa...

I suppose that colours my perception a little bit.. I find the C1 a bit soggy on the springs too...
Hell Razor5543 wrote:...as the 206 is the direct replacement for the 205, and, ideally, the 206 should be better.
That's fighting talk James :lol: Say that to a bunch of dedicated 205 owners and you'll be lucky to escape intact :lol:

No, the 206 is not better than the 205 in the same way as the 207 is not better than the 206. I just hope the 208 is...

Peugeot started out with a cracker of a small car in the 205 and everything since has never quite matched it... The 205, 405 and 306 were arguably the best cars Pug have ever made. All of them absolutely excellent and utterly impossible to follow. Citroen did the same with the DS and GS. How do you follow those? Time has shown they couldn't. Same with the Pugs.

Funny thing was, the 205 was never a Pug. It started life as a Simca!!!
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hang on, I didn't say the 206 WAS better than the 205, I said that, ideally, it SHOULD be better, as it was a direct replacement. Unfortunately when something is superseded the replacement is not always better (or, in some cases, even as good as the previous model).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Hang on, I didn't say the 206 WAS better than the 205, I said that, ideally, it SHOULD be better
Sorry James, my bad but you can see how us 205 people (even ex-owners like me) are about such things :wink: :twisted:

You're right that the later ones should be better. I can think of many cases where they're not. I just hold out a hope the 208 will be. If so than that might well be my next new car...

I have a good case in point right here. I have a couple of 200 year old clocks. They both do the job of telling the time perfectly, keep quite acceptable time and need only a weekly wind. They, as tellers of the time, cannot be improved upon. They also look and sound attractive.

If they break they can be infinitely fixed - I've already made a new part for one of them on the lathe...

Much better than a battery operated clock that might last a few years before it dies and in it's lifetime it's consumed batteries that are environmentally harmful. When it breaks the chances of fixing it are virtually nil. All my clocks have consumed in 200 years is a bit of oil and a few sheep intestines....

I'm sure there are many other examples...
Jim