Xantia stop light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Xantia stop light

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Hi everyone. I'm new here and from Sri Lanka. I have a Xantia 2, 2000 model with 2.0i 16v engine. I replaced all 6 gas spheres but every time I start the engine it takes nearly 1/2 a minute to go off the stop light. When I stop the engine restarts instantly this issue is not there. Any ideas
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia stop light

Post by CitroJim »

That's quite normal with new spheres fitted. The system takes a finite time to fully pressurise and although 30s is slightly longer than perhaps is normal if all aspects of the suspension system is working well and the regulator tick rate is well in excess of 30s you have nothing to worry about.

Out of interest, how many Xantias are there in Sri Lanka?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you bleed the hydraulic circuit after fitting the spheres??

Here is what Citroen used state for bleeding the hydraulic system after opening any part of it, with the engine running at idle and the bleed valve on the front of the regulator ( 12mm spanner sized bolt head ) open no more than 3/4 to 1 full turn, let the engine idle for around 2 minutes, now hold the revs at around 2,500rpm whilst closing the bleed valve
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would do half an hour of Citrobics, to help get any air in the suspension back to the reservoir. I would also bleed all the brakes, as a matter of course, especially as you replaced all the spheres. I personally bleed the brakes whenever I do any work on the hydro pneumatics.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Thank you all for helping me. Citroen's were imported to Sri Lanka only for few years from the year 2000. There must be about 20-30 Xantia's Jim. Yes I did bleed the system including the brakes Malcolm & James. Only thing didn't close the valve with high revs. Can this happen if the LHM tank filters are blocked?

Best Regards
Chetiya
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Chetiya Dias wrote: Can this happen if the LHM tank filters are blocked?

Best Regards
Chetiya
this certainly can cause a slow rise rate,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just a thought? If there enough LHM in the reservoir? If you are unsure, park the car on level ground, and then raise her to full service height. Let things settle down, and then look at the glass bubble on the reservoir. If the orange disk (not the brass disk) is between the two red rings there is enough LHM in the tank.

It wouldn't hurt to give the filters a clean. As Citroen recommend the LHM is changed every 36,000 miles this is when the filters normally get cleaned.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Must clean the filters and see. thanks
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

I did bleed the system again and cleaned the tank filters as well. Then it was fine. Started the engine after about 4-5 hours and the light went off instantly. But when I did a run it changed back to the way it was. Then I repeated the bleeding again. Afterwards it was fine and again when I did a run it changed. Any ideas.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You might have an intermittent air leak on the feed pipe from the LHM tank to the hydraulic pump - check both ends for a split in the hose (especially at the tank end if you had the tank header out) and make sure the clamps are tight and sealing well. When these formed hose ends get old and brittle they sometimes no longer seal properly, especially if they have been disturbed.

Before doing this pop the lid off the tank and watch the surface of the oil in the tank just after starting the engine - if it's frothy you definitely have an air leak somewhere, it should be completely calm outside of the filter gauze. A small amount of bubbles (but not froth) inside the filter element can be normal but it shouldn't be excessive.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

Thanks Simon. There is a leak in the power steering pipe from the pump which goes down near the front accumulator. Can this be the reason.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v