C5 dillema

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

C5 dillema

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys
I'm getting very close to owning a C5 and I'm tossing up between a mk 1 low milage 2.0hdi 110bhp manual and a facelift 138bhp 6speed auto with 90,000 miles+.
I'd really like an auto but can live without it, I'd love leather but it seems to be rare in the mk2's.
I'm not a great fan of multivalve engines as in my experience you loose the low down grunt and have to rev the nuts off them which is probably why they went to a 6 speed auto.
I've been warned off the pre 6 speed auto boxes with the 110 engine but the 2.2 auto box is recommended. The general opinion on here seems to be the 2.2's are very thirsty.
Which way should I jump?
Cheers
Paul
Last edited by isisalar on 15 Nov 2014, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 dillema

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Check with northern_mike. His signature indicates his MK1 110HDi saloon C5 SX is available. I think it is a manual 'box.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It is, but it's done 166k and needs, or will need rear arm bearings at some point. It has MOT until end of July and a Chris Citroenmad obsessive service history. It's simply not being used now Mrs. Northern_Mike is working 10 mins walk away..
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

and |I have a set of Mk1/Mk1Facelift leather in Dark Grey....fitted out ready for a FaceLift car and easy peasy to fit, fully electric with Airbags. If you get a Mk1 and need leather, just swap the AirBags and that's easy as well.
Most people LOVE the C5 leather seats in the Mk1's, I wish they were the type in my X7, I miss them they are that good for me.

I have owned both, apart from the look there is not much difference in ride if at all. Face lift is a safer car just but both are good.
IF you do not mind the look of the Mk1's face, then a high spec low millage Mk1 is a better bet with a 2.oltr. Manual 2.oltr you can give 60mpg.
It's a comfort car not a tooth shaker, get an Auto Box for comfort and easy cruse controls. 6 speed Auto is nice but needs a full flush at 100K so they say £££ but worth it reportedly.
Spares for both are easy to source and it could be argued a complete car as a donor is a good idea at the present prices of dead ones (normal de-pollution faults/DPF)

Saloon or Estate ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you do your own repairs the 8 valve 2.0. wins hands down, but yes, if you get a high miler it will quite likely want the radius arm bearings changing, but the cars of course are much cheaper. I've got one of these engines in a 406 and its done 230k + miles and is still mostly original including I believe the DMF and clutch, my C5 has done 200k - but I did have to do the arm bearings.

Personaly I wouldn't have an auto as apart from being inefficient, if it fails it will probably write the car off.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm not sold on the "automatics are inefficient" argument as applied to modern drivelines.

However I have watched the instantaneous fuel usage readouts in several of my fleet (manual and automatic) and can see the traditional tendency to short shift actually harms consumption!
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Saloon or estate? another dilemma, the estate has been a must up to now as I use the car for work, I'm going to buy a van soon for work and this car will be a fishing wagon and for visiting customers so although the estate would obviously be better a saloon will do. Just to make the decision harder the 110 manual is a saloon and the 16v auto is an estate!
Having just studied the fuel consumption figures I was horrified to find that the 16v auto figures are even worse than the 2.2 and even the manual 16v's are worse than the 8v by a considerable margin. Hmmm.
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Find me an estate owner who can truthfully say "A saloon would have been more practical"...
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Find me an estate owner who can truthfully say "A saloon would have been more practical"...
After having a Berlingo I shall always need an estate car in the fleet. It's brilliant. So much so it's going to stay when new estate arrives in April.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:If you do your own repairs the 8 valve 2.0. wins hands down, but yes, if you get a high miler it will quite likely want the radius arm bearings changing, but the cars of course are much cheaper.
Mine's £450 to anyone on here. Given that it's a known car with no DMF and a full obsessive history, and MOT until August that's a bargain even if it does need the arm bearings before then. They can be done reasonably cheaply if you ask the right people... cheaply enough for even me to get them done if I wasn't buying a bargain 08 plate Impreza rocket estate that's just to good to miss.

EDIT : the AC doesn't work so useless if you live in London!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, the Estate (have to say Tourer now :) ) is a far better option with Citroen's for me.
As you are a fisherman then is it not more practicable ?........but its personal I accept.

Without any thought, the 2'0ltr Mk1 (no DPF) Manual is the best from mpg and getting a low miles one from a place like Devon/Cornwall is not to hard, my advice is to get a known Car like Mikes or trawl the net for a week or so.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I've given myself a good talking to and the new one will certainly be an estate now. I really do want the leather and auto would be nice. Having studied the figures as per my previous post it now looks like the new car will be a 2.2hdi as they are out there and available and more economical than the 2.0 hdi16v! although both seem to have been banned from London.
The one that was tempting me to go for a saloon was this little beauty http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
49,000miles with a good history, a bit expensive but I'm sure it could be negotiated down. Nice wheels too, I'm not keen on some of the alloys on the 2.2's, look like a nightmare to clean without a pressure washer.
Some seem to have sat nav's and sun roofs, others don't, were these options on the mk1 exclusives?
Any feedback on potential problems with the 2.2's or worthwhile changes on the facelift model would be appreciated. I believe the 173bhp 2.2 was available in the facelift model, could anyone say when it was introduced please?
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

1st off...WOW that's expensive !
2nd.......WOW that's expensive and it's a 2.2
3rd........WOW its a saloon as well

If you can get a nice 2.2ltr and can accept the low MPG then OK....not me....I would go for this and try to get it for £ 800 then stick in new seats. Btw 118k miles is nothing for the 2.0ltr, just run in.
BTW, Mk1 sat nav is next to usless, no post code searching, VERY Bad in the Smoke as it is soooo WAY out of date....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 16 Nov 2014, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

2.2 MORE economical then the 2.0 Urrrmmm Not sure on that!

Early 2.2 16v engines in the Mk.1 are dire for fuel! Getting no better then 40mpg at most, unless you do 55mph everywhere!

Id throughly reccomend the 2.0 16v engine, its redesigned top end ensures any future engine issues the inlet will come off to get the head off, while early 2.2 engine were completely different in this respect.

As for later 2.2 engines Ive no idea what the design is like, but I do fail to see why a 2.2 could be better on fuel then a 2.0. 2.0 engines 138bhp 2.2 Later 2.2s 176bhp..

Also the autobox conunderium... Early 2.2 Autos with 4 speed auto are ZF 4HP 20 boxs, where the 2.0 HDi 8v engine got the AL4 auto box. Ive got a 2.0 8v Auto Mk.1, and I find the combination actually VERY GOOD! My consumption read out shows and average of 42mpg,and she has a pretty good pick up too!

The 6 speed box's on the 2.0 engines are an Aisin Autobox, from Toyota. These would be the later box Id choose over a ZF 4 HP 20.. however in reality ALL box's will need regular oil changes despite sealed for life claims if you want a long life from them..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres Base, LX, SX, Exclusive AND Exclusive SE .. but Sat Naff was optional on ALL S1 C5s Im told.

Cruise control can easilly be added TO ALL HDi 110 2.0s with a lexia, and NO security code is needed either!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto